Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Two things first. This isn't meant as a gun control discussion, we have a thread for that. This isn't meant for a discussion of religion, that goes into forbidden topics. Since this is intended to question a particular issue in American culture, can we try to avoid just flat out nation bashing too?

Apologies to the two or three people I've recently discussed guns with, this isn't intended as a poke at any of you and I realize it will come across as such. Again, my apologies this is just something that has been bothering me recently and today I decided to put it out for discussion.

I'm American. I grew up around guns. My father had guns, but they were shotguns and rifles for hunting. I was taught to shoot, including basic safety, before I could ride a bike or skate. Today it seems I was really young (no older than six), but that was presented as just one of the things one did. Guns were tools, and to a lesser degree sport, but what strikes me now is that they weren't really for home protection other than keeping a farm clear of vermin.

Now, I feel completely out of touch with the way I hear people talk about their firearms. I was happy to see someone mention in a thread that they bagged some turkeys, and they ate them -- that was the kind of thing I could understand. I don't know when it happened, but I think it paralleled the rise of "wars" on ideas that could never sit down at a table and sign a surrender. Somewhere along the way, we became afraid of shadows, and guns were the talisman that would keep them at bay. I bought into it too, in my own way, I just didn't fixate on guns.

I notice it now that I'm in China. I've spent years dialing back the defensive habits I built up. Home security for me today isn't having a house build in 1914, with a door that is mainly etched glass but being comfortable that I am adequately trained and armed. Home security is that I have solid walls, good locks, and the front door is steel. I suppose 2.1's yappy little poodle counts as extra security -- around 0400 I'll know the milk was delivered because she'll go to the door and warn of strangers. Now, when I go out the door I actually try to make sure I'm not actively armed unless there is a good reason, but at one time that wasn't the case.

I read posts that talk of shotguns beside the bed, guns with silencers on the nightstand and all the rest. I wonder what the hell happened. And that's when I find myself asking, is it because firearms ownership became a cult? The NRA and its speakers are the charismatic leader figures. Crime, terrorism, even the idea that our own government might go the wrong way -- those are the ever present and yet intangible threat. The faithful speak a particular way. There is disloyal speech.

Are enough of the factors there that at some point fear will cross the line into cult behavior?
    I don't think a cult is the right description but as a Canadian I find this to be the largest difference between our peoples. All Canadians I know find it out right bizarre and a bit scary how obsessed the states are with guns. I have only ever known of one person in my life who kept anything but a hunting rifle at home or on them and it is a relative who lives in the states. If someone is going to break into my home they aren't trying to kill me, they are trying to steal a bunch of stuff... am I going to murder another human because they want to take my tv? lol no.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    I read it. It's very informative.

You shouldn't dismiss facts because it makes you feel bad.
    1. Not a whole lot of facts, just cherry picked data.

2. He uses personal attacks in EVERY post, why wouo d I read that drivel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    And what exactly did they use to do that? Guns by chance? no no it couldn't have been guns....guns are evil tools that inspire anyone near them to go on murderous rampages of death!
    Spatulas, deadly spatulas.

Quote Originally Posted by Spramp View Post
    I don't think a cult is the right description but as a Canadian I find this to be the largest difference between our peoples. All Canadians I know find it out right bizarre and a bit scary how obsessed the states are with guns. I have only ever known of one person in my life who kept anything but a hunting rifle at home or on them and it is a relative who lives in the states. If someone is going to break into my home they aren't trying to kill me, they are trying to steal a bunch of stuff... am I going to murder another human because they want to take my tv? lol no.
    How do you know? You really dont, you are making an assumption and you might be correct. Many on the states wont risk that assumption for their lives, their spouses life, their children lives. So yes it is a cultural difference. There is however nothing cultish about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Spatulas, deadly spatulas.
    Didnt you know the anti gun laws that Nazis Germany was all about was really enacted to protect folks.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

In short: no.

In long: noooooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    In the last 100 years, How many millions of people were slaughtered by Tyrants in Europe? How many time shave countries split apart, or vanished?
    No thanks we will keep our 2nd amendment.
    How many of those since WW2, in which USA also participiated? It has nothing to do with guns, Hitler was elected, remember? And are there a real threat of USA goverment going authoritan? Plus, 2nd amendment was made centuries ago. Times have changed and laws dont hold the same meaning. They are not supposed to be set in stone.
    P.S.
    You stand no chance against regular army. And it is naive to think that all soldiers would disobey orders.

How do you know? You really dont, you are making an assumption and you might be correct. Many on the states wont risk that assumption for their lives, their spouses life, their children lives. So yes it is a cultural difference. There is however nothing cultish about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Didnt you know the anti gun laws that Nazis Germany was all about was really enacted to protect folks.
    Lol, may be the Gestapo had PSAs like the following "hey juden, didn't you know that you're more likely to shoot your rabbi than a SS officer when you have a gun in your home?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    How many of those since WW2, in which USA also participiated? It has nothing to do with guns, Hitler was elected, remember? And are there a real threat of USA goverment going authoritan? Plus, 2nd amendment was made centuries ago. Times have changed and laws dont hold the same meaning. They are not supposed to be set in stone.
    P.S.
    You stand no chance against regular army. And it is naive to think that all soldiers would disobey orders.
    Some grade A ignorance here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumzlug View Post
    I just don't understand this line of thought. It is like Kevin Bacon 7 degree's of separation. It does affect your life from the cost of plane tickets to the cost of gasoline for your vehicles.
    Cheaper tickets or more open seats due to lack of demand. Cheaper gas due to lack of demand. Cheaper property values, so people have a better chance to afford a home.

Exactly the same with brexit. Why is it not your business? It affects you in many ways as well.

We have this myopic view that these things don't affect us because xyz reason. When some of these things have far and wide flung impacts.
    Because it's not my country. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't tell my neighbors how to run their household. I don't tell a woman what she can do with her body. I don't tell two guys that they can't get married. As long as some country isn't tossing nukes in our direction or even threatening to, I don't give a shit what they do. We kicked out our oppressors to win independence and I'll be damned if we let that same exact country, who oppressed us, or any other tell us what we can or can't do. At the same time, I'm not going to be a hypocrite and tell them what to do with theirs.
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

Lol, may be the Gestapo had PSAs like the following "hey juden, didn't you know that you're more likely to shoot your rabbi than a SS officer when you have a gun in your home?".
    LMAO, i must have shot myself, im dying here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    P.S.
    you heard him folks, its better to live under tyranny then to stand up and fight because we have no chance. wow, thats a super load of my shoulders.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Nope, knowledge of and practice in the use of the current prevalent weapon of the times is healthy and prudent with humans being an aggressive predatory species.
    I'm okay with someone knowing the lore of the game.

I just find the guy that knows every bit of lore, every line of text and that owns every game to be the fanatical type, especially because I don't see him go out in real life and use that knowledge. Seems pretty pointless to waste so much time and effort on something that fundamentally has no purpose in modern living.

- - - Updated - - -

LMAO, i must have shot myself, im dying here.

- - - Updated - - -

you heard him folks, its better to live under tyranny then to stand up and fight because we have no chance. wow, thats a super load of my shoulders.
    Live under tyranny? You live in the Untied States of America. You have rights.

You could only strawman harder if you took out what's left of your brain. Please don't tell me that's the one the wizard gave you.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Europe, you have a Genocide problem. We are worried about you guys and your willingness to ethnically cleanse other people because of race and Religion.
    From Colonialism , human trafficking , subjugation of lesser developed nations ...the list is pretty long .

I think you guys have a problem
    Are you sure you think they have a problem or are you looking for tips and tricks on how to do it here at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post

I just find the guy that knows every bit of lore, every line of text and that owns every game to be the fanatical type, especially because I don't see him go out in real life and use that knowledge. Seems pretty pointless to waste so much time and effort on something that fundamentally has no purpose in modern living.

- - - Updated - - -

You could only strawman harder if you took out what's left of your brain.
    Yeah, and I bet the jews in germany said the same thing in 1933.

Shit happens, government changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Stated by people with an agenda to sell guns.

Unless you can prove it, you really can't pretend like you know what reality will look like, and others with different varied backgrounds of military experience don't.
    I have military background and im saying that any invasion of the united states is likely to fail.

And i think not wanting to be able to use a tool that helped humans become the dominant species on the planet rather silly. But you know what i dont want to do? force you to live life by my views. If you dont want a gun, that cool, you be you. but ill also be me.

Quote Originally Posted by a1derful1 View Post
    Cheaper tickets or more open seats due to lack of demand. Cheaper gas due to lack of demand. Cheaper property values, so people have a better chance to afford a home.
    So you are admitting it does have an impact on your life? Great to see you turning around.

Because it's not my country. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't tell my neighbors how to run their household. I don't tell a woman what she can do with her body. I don't tell two guys that they can't get married. As long as some country isn't tossing nukes in our direction or even threatening to, I don't give a shit what they do. We kicked out our oppressors to win independence and I'll be damned if we let that same exact country, who oppressed us, or any other tell us what we can or can't do. At the same time, I'm not going to be a hypocrite and tell them what to do with theirs.
    So you would be perfectly okay if a meth house moved in next door? It would have no affect on you right? Drug traffic not an issue. Threat of that house blowing up not an issue.

No one is telling the US what they can or cannot do. Nor are they making the decision for us. What you seem to be saying is that we should not listen to advice from anyone but ourselves because no one needs to or can understand the US or these problems. You also seem to think that these problems are not global or that they don't have global impacts and so no one needs to care about it but the US. But it's cool. Close your shutters and keep thinking that none of this affects anyone but you.

You could only strawman harder if you took out what's left of your brain. Please don't tell me that's the one the wizard gave you.
    ugh are you unaware that entire conversation was in a speculative scenario? holy misunderstanding context.

Unless you can prove it, you really can't pretend like you know what reality will look like, and others with different varied backgrounds of military experience don't.
    Even though that's how we won our own independence, by the populous rising up, taking arms, militias, and guerilla warfare.

Some ignorant person even said the army of Congo would wipe out all American citizens, if for some reason the US military wasn't involved. If they crossed over into Texas across the Rio Grande, we'd have a second Red River and a lot of Congolese bodies to burn. Everybody down here likes a nice bonfire!
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

Even though that's how we won our own independence, by the populous rising up, taking arms, militias, and guerilla warfare.

Some ignorant person even said the army of Congo would wipe out all American citizens, if for some reason the US military wasn't involved. If they crossed over into Texas across the Rio Grande, we'd have a second Red River and a lot of Congolese bodies to burn. Everybody down here likes a nice bonfire!
    All i got is they must think the typical gun owner is some 400 pound person with 10 ar-15 strapped to their back.

And i think not wanting to be able to use a tool that helped humans become the dominant species on the planet rather silly. But you know what i dont want to do? force you to live life by my views. If you dont want a gun, that cool, you be you. but ill also be me.
    Exactly.

Get your hands out of my home manabomb. My home, my body, my choice.

Exactly.

Get your hands out of my home manabomb. My home, my body, my choice.
    i mean i get it it, the left has gained increasing amounts of power in social morality, its hard not to want to flex that power "for good". How many years did the religious right try removing their undesirables with social pressure? i get it. I truly do, but they wont win on the guns issue. Any legislation that removes guns will be seen as tyranny, any forced attempts to remove guns from Americans will be met with bloodshed and loss of life, they have no valid way to achieve their goal so they are left with shame tactics, and i am not ashamed of owning guns.

Oh, just like you can’t prove what you said either because you don’t know what reality will look like?

There’s a reason why the Japanese military leadership didn’t want to try and invade America in WW2. Because there would be a gun behind every blade of grass is I believe how it was worded.

You’re just spewing typical anti-American bullshit and nothing more. But please continue, it’s at least entertaining to read and laugh at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumzlug View Post
    No one is telling the US what they can or cannot do. Nor are they making the decision for us. What you seem to be saying is that we should not listen to advice from anyone but ourselves because no one needs to or can understand the US or these problems.
    Instead of telling us what we could do, many on here are trying to tell us what we should do.

If you have an opinion, fine. When you tell me what to do, I tell you to go to hell.

That yahoo who started this thread wasn't happy with giving her opinion. She (I'm assuming that's a she by the girly graphics) had to keep forcing her "facts" down peoples' throats to try and force them to comply to her thinking, telling us what we should do with our own freedom that our forefathers fought and died for. And what did that get her? The finger. If we don't like our own countryman telling us what to do in our home, we sure as hell aren't gonna submit to a foriegner's dictation. It's not my problem if someone isn't confident in their own decisions, whether it be an individual or sovereign entity. I've got no problem with the decisions I've made.

It's fine if you wanna ask for advice, but if I didn't ask for it, then it means I didn't want it.

- - - Updated - - -

ugh are you unaware that entire conversation was in a speculative scenario? holy misunderstanding context.
    I could only shake my head at how dumb that person's reply was. God forbid they read the context of the conversation...lol...English might not be their first language, or so I hope.

It was almost as bad as the Congo owning the American populace in war statement...lmao
    Last edited by a1derful1; 2017-12-04 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Didn't wanna sound mean. People are sensitive.