Kennedys, Kochs help kill planned wind farm off Cape Cod

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/04...-cape-cod.html

A plan to build scores of offshore, electricity-generating windmills within eyesight of the Kennedy compound and numerous other tony properties in one of America’s wealthiest, and most scenic areas, is officially dead in the water.

The Cape Wind project, which envisioned 130 turbines to be built off the Massachusetts coast, would have been the first U.S. offshore wind farm. It would also have spoiled the view from the Kennedy family’s estate and that of the Democratic family's billionaire neighbor, William Koch, owner of a nearby 26-acre estate.

williamkoch

William Koch. (Photo by Richard Drew/AP/Shutterstock )

Besides their opposition, Energy Management Inc., which led the project, had to battle fishermen and tourism-related businesses. But after 16 years of fighting, with the help of environmentalists, for the project – and scoring numerous legal battles along the way – Energy Management threw in the towel late last week, citing the cancellation of several contracts to sell its power to local utilities.

More on this...

• Meredith Corp. Acquires Time Inc. in $2.8 Billion Koch-Backed Deal
    • Time Inc. will be sold to Meredith Corporation for $2.8 billion in deal partly funded by Koch brothers
    • Koch brothers group set to boost conservative candidates, policies with $400 million between now and 2018

“During Cape Wind’s development period we successfully developed over a billion dollars of renewable solar and biomass energy projects and, although we were unable to bring Cape Wind to fruition, we are proud of the catalyzing and pioneering effort we devoted to bringing offshore wind to the United States,” Cape Wind President James Gordon said in a statement to the Cape Cod Times.

Championed as the future of clean energy by environmental activists, the 478-megawatt offshore farm would have been a power supply for Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard.

However, the Kennedy family opposed the project for years. Back in 2006, then-Sen. Ted Kennedy called for more federal guidelines first. “Senator Kennedy has real environmental and economic concerns, and the federal government continues to lack a national policy and process to guide offshore alternative energy development,” spokeswoman Melissa Wagoner told The Washington Times. The senator died in 2009.

U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) gestures as he addresses the convention after a tribute to his life and career was presented at the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado, August 25, 2008. U.S. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) is expected to accept the Democratic presidential nomination at the convention on August 28. REUTERS/Mike Segar (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008 (USA) - GM1E48Q0RJF01

Senator Ted Kennedy in 2008. (REUTERS/Mike Segar, File)

In addition, attorney Robert F. Kennedy Jr. wrote in a New York Times op-ed in 2005: “I do believe that some places should be off limits to any sort of industrial development. I wouldn't build a wind farm in Yosemite National Park. Nor would I build one on Nantucket Sound.”

While the Kennedys and their activities on Cape Cod have been well known for decades, Koch’s ties to the area have been less well publicized. The billionaire fossil fuel industrialist, whose brothers Charles and David are well known for their underwriting of Republican politicians, bought Rachel Mellon’s 26-acre waterfront estate in Oyster Harbors in 2013 for $19.5 million and quickly turned his attention to combating what he called the “visual pollution” from the Cape Wind project.

“I am equally confident that the project’s lack of merit will result in its demise,” Koch wrote in an email to the New York Times back in 2013.

Cape Wind’s demise came despite significant support. The U.S. Energy Department gave Energy Management a conditional $150 million loan guarantee, Siemens AG was mulling a $100 million equity investment and Rabobank, Natixis and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group led a $400 million debt package.

In the end this wasn’t enough and, after the project was hit by numerous lawsuits and Cape Wind missed a number of contractual milestones, energy suppliers National Grid and Northeast Utilities canceled their purchase agreements.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announces new hurricane recovery efforts for Puerto Rico Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017 in New York. The effort include partnering with private and government organizations to get aid to Puerto Rico. (AP Photo/Michael Noble Jr.)

Gov. Andrew Cuomo. (File)

The fate of Cape Wind has taught offshore wind developers a valuable lesson: Keep the turbines out of a sight of beachgoers.

Last year, Deepwater Wind completed the first offshore wind farm 3.8 miles off of Rhode Island’s Block Island and the country’s largest offshore wind farm is slated to be built in the waters between the eastern tip of Long Island and Martha’s Vineyard. Part of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s goal to draw 50 percent of the state’s power from renewable sources by 2030, the project will be built on a 256-square acre parcel and generate enough energy to power 1.25 million homes.

“This project will not only provide a new, reliable source of clean energy but will also create high-paying jobs, continue our efforts to combat climate change and help preserve our environment,” Cuomo said in a statement in January when the project was approved by the Long Island Power Authority’s board.
    How unfortunate, this would have been a great area for a wind farm.

10+ Year Old Account
    The copy pasting here is also unfortunate. Less faux outrage and more editing would be nice.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/04...-cape-cod.html

How unfortunate, this would have been a great area for a wind farm.
    Lol, how anyone thought this would ever "get off the ground" is beyond me. Literally the richest people in the world live here. No way giant windmills are gonna fly. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol, how anyone thought this would ever "get off the ground" is beyond me. Literally the richest people in the world live here. No way giant windmills are gonna fly. Heh.
    Good Ol NIMBY.

I personally think it's a good spot to build them, less environmental and wildlife impact.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Good Ol NIMBY.

I personally think it's a good spot to build them, less environmental and wildlife impact.
    And in this case I have no doubt you're right. But the richies aren't going allow their skyline to be broken for anything. Perceived eyesore is an eyesore. Was a nonstarter before it began.

Who thought this would be a good idea again?

I'm too lazy to look who it was (maybe Tillerson?). Whoever some rich fossil fuel asshole did not want franking in their backyard and canceled it.

So for you Tony I guess you are showing rich assholes come from both parties. I agree.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I think giant fans look pretty "cool". No one seems to have a problem with the old flour windmill back in the day.
    Agreed, but old money and perceived eyesore makes it a dead issue. Whoever thought of it in the first place should be receiving Optimist of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I'm too lazy to look who it was (maybe Tillerson?). Whoever some rich fossil fuel asshole did not want franking in their backyard and canceled it.

So for you Tony I guess you are showing rich assholes come from both parties. I agree.
    Of course, I've never stated otherwise. I only laugh at the hypocrisy when supposed environmentalist politicians are opposed to renewable energy when it may effect their view.

Wind power should be illegal globally.

"lets cut down 1000 acres of forest so we can put in MASSIVE steel towers with flying blades that massacre birds!, so green bro"
    also people neglect to think about the pollution created to build a massive steel tower and the loss of C02 recycling that the trees produced that gets wiped out when the towers move in.
    And they are unsightly and make you sick if you stay around them too long due to the noise and probably the unnatural air movement created by them.

Solar power is the only true green technology and even that is terrible if any cells or battery's ever have to be replaced.

Of course, I've never stated otherwise. I only laugh at the hypocrisy when supposed environmentalist politicians are opposed to renewable energy when it may effect their view.
    The Kochs are environmentalists? Yeah it's a dig at Kennedy and yes like 99.99% of people when it affects them that is when they say "Hold up now".

Which is why when make laws about environmentalism people bitch but it is hopefully for the best of populous.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    The Kochs are environmentalists? Yeah it's a dig at Kennedy and yes like 99.99% of people when it affects them that is when they say "Hold up now".

Which is why when make laws about environmentalism people bitch but it is hopefully for the best of populous.
    Maybe that one specific brother is. IDK, I don't keep up with all the Koch's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post

"lets cut down 1000 acres of forest so we can put in MASSIVE steel towers with flying blades that massacre birds!, so green bro"
    also people neglect to think about the pollution created to build a massive steel tower and the loss of C02 recycling that the trees produced that gets wiped out when the towers move in.
    And they are unsightly and make you sick if you stay around them too long due to the noise and probably the unnatural air movement created by them.

Solar power is the only true green technology and even that is terrible if any cells or battery's ever have to be replaced.
    These are in the ocean, and all the wind farms I've seen have been in wide expanses of plains (Texas and Kansas) and the deserts of California.

10+ Year Old Account

no wind farmer worth his salt will put wind farms in former forests. Those places tend to be awful for wind.

Also unnatural air movement doesnt affect squat.

and noise may cause headaches, but that is it. Also, they aren't that noisy (I was close to one at UNT. was pretty quiet)

hyperbole more, please.

10+ Year Old Account
    This doesn't surprise me. Wind sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Why exactly? Denmark gets almost half their energy from wind, Scotland gets more than double what they need. So what makes it so awful?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I'm pretty sure it blows, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You know nothing of vacuum cleaners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    That works too!

Public Work 101 – Know your community.

Putting a wind turbine in the middle of corn field in Illinois. Good.

Putting a wind turbine so that it affect the view from multi-million dollar homes. Make sure your budget include the cost of going through court against some hoity toity high class law firm.

This applies to any projects, and not only wind farms.

10+ Year Old Account

1. Forests are not being replaced with wind turbines. They're typically being co-located with crop fields or grazing land. They don't take up much land, as they require fairly wide spacing for efficiency.

2. Bird deaths to wind turbines are massively overblown.

3. Wind turbine illnesses are complete and total bullshit.

4. This wind farm would have been located out in the ocean.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

They can put windfarms anywhere out in the middle of nowhere but they decided to put it near wealthy and scenic area. Fuck them. This is a win.