Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    While I'm pumped for the series, I was really hoping they would push the envelope a bit more.

I've been toying with an idea of a Mega Man X remake, but using a souls like formula. Rather than side scroller, you'd be 3rd person, and explore these environments in full 3d (a la legends).

The idea would be Mega Man X. You'd get introduced to the opening, the story and the mavericks are out destroying the areas right now. You'd have a central hub, (much like firelink shrine or Majula from DS) and you'd go out and explore various paths. You'd have to actually traverse zones to find the boss stages where you then have to find the boss rooms.. Boss stages would link to other areas, and would have effects just like the SNES game where clearing a boss could change the level/environment of another boss area. I.e. clearing Launch Octopus, floods Sting Chameleons level opening up pathways and new areas and new enemies.

Gameplay wise it would be fast paced methodical action like dark souls. Rolling replaced by the MMX dash, you can dash jump over enemies, around them etc. The game would have tons of secrets including heart tanks, sub tanks (estus flasks), w sub tanks (ashen estus flasks for boss abilities), and there would be the armor of light capsules hidden in the world to upgrade your functions (i.e. air dashing, charge buster and special weapons charging, reduced damage/shielding, and breaking environmental stuff).

I even built up a profile for fighting Chill Penguin:

Chill Penguin

Shotgun Ice - Tracks and has 3 variable speeds (Fast, medium, and slow). Can shoot up to 3 times consecutively. It also splits upon hitting terrain. Deals light damage on rebound, medium on direct hit. Freezes you on hit.

Ice Breath - Breaths outward a chilling blast of air Freezing anything it touches and dealing heavy damage. Can be aimed horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

Ice Clone - spawns from ice breath up to 5 clones on a single cast. Touching an ice clone freezes you for up to 10s (reduced by mashing buttons). If an ice clone falls from the air and hits you or shatters nearby and hits you it deals enormous damage and light damage respectively.

Blizzard - Summons a random direction storm that reduces your movement speed by 50% and causes all active ice clones to flow with the wind direction. Deals very light damage over time.

Slide - A very rapid slide attack that knocks back on hit. Can shatter ice clones sending shrapnel outward. Can also cast Shotgun Ice in P2 during slide. If hit by this when frozen deals enormous damage. Otherwise deals heavy damage.

Kick - Kicks an ice clone toward you that tracks. Treat as if the ice clone fell on you freezing and dealing enormous damage. Shatters on collision. deals moderate damage normally, or enormous damage if frozen.

Headbutt - variable melee combo. anywhere from 1-4 hits, in any specific order. Can cancel into any other special ability at any time.

The idea would be fighting Chill Penguin just like any other souls boss. Watching and evading and striking when it's safe. His abilities would be slightly random in nature and frequency and have triggers to use certain moves in certain conditions.

The one thing I wasn't sure of was how to balance the fact that X does ranged damage. Buster shots would obviously consume some kind of stamina as would slides. I also didn't want enemy weaknesses to be super staggering like in MMX. They should be more effective for sure, but not trivial. Maybe firing a charged shot requires you to be standing still and has a decent bit of recovery. Maybe make stamina recovery slower while charging (or maybe even a slow drain).

The last part is that I'd want the game to feel like a souls game, but keep the metroidvania/MMX styled item acquisition/exploration feel too.

Then as a bonus for that replay-ability bit. Make it so you can play as Zero AND Vile if you clear it. I.e. clear the game once, NG+ you can do as Vile or Zero (or X again). NG++ lets you play as the other. Maybe even as Vile it could be a different route altogether where you hunt X/Zero in different levels. Zero would obviously have his Z saber and Vile could even acquire different Goliath mechs (a la X3).

I'd play the shit out of this game. And they could easily apply the formula to each X game and have it be pretty decent, or combine a few to make a really large game. I'd imagine this MMX remake would have at least 8 bosses for the Mavericks, + Vile & Sigma. Maybe even Sigma's dog Velgaurder, Ranga Bangda and other sub bosses for a total of like 13 or 14 bosses or so.

Imagine the boss rush at the end of the game haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Like, Mega Man 1?

If you aren't clinging onto nostalgia, it would be a nightmare to play these days.

Try the Mega Man X series, it aged much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Sort of, but not really. Mega Man X was sort of it's own reality. If they are reviving the series, it makes more sense to go with real mega man. At least in my opinion.
    Even X is a nightmare to play these days. I should know, I play through MM 1-6 and MMX 1-6 every year around Christmas.
    Mega Man X was the same reality just set in the future of the Mega Man timeline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Even X is a nightmare to play these days. I should know, I play through MM 1-6 and MMX 1-6 every year around Christmas.
    Mega Man X was the same reality just set in the future of the Mega Man timeline.
    MMX is the best in the entire franchise IMO. It had the perfect level of difficulty.

MM1 is probably the hardest of all games. I only managed to beat that game once and swore to never try again. However with "saves" on the switch it might be a lot easier now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    While I'm pumped for the series, I was really hoping they would push the envelope a bit more.

I've been toying with an idea of a Mega Man X remake, but using a souls like formula. Rather than side scroller, you'd be 3rd person, and explore these environments in full 3d (a la legends).
    I would rather play a Sidescroller when it comes to MM, MMX and Zero. They tried to do a hybrid game with X7 I think and it was the worst MM game to date. If they do a Legends game, then sure.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2017-12-04 at 11:53 PM.

Art style and animations (less so) looks...weird. What's up with Capcom and the weird designs lately? Feels like they've repeatedly been hit over characters that look odd as hell (SFV, MvC:I...and I feel like I'm forgetting at least one other game).

Oh well, a new Megaman game. Finally. Please be excited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Art style and animations (less so) looks...weird. What's up with Capcom and the weird designs lately? Feels like they've repeatedly been hit over characters that look odd as hell (SFV, MvC:I...and I feel like I'm forgetting at least one other game).

Oh well, a new Megaman game. Finally. Please be excited.
    Still a lot better than the art style of Powered-Up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Upto X6. PS2 ones are absolutely awful imo.
    Eh, I feel like the X series started going downhill after X4.

Capcom started each series really strong but always fell into a habit of just rehashing the games until people lost interest and stopped buying them.

MM1-3, 7-9, MMX1-4, MMZ1-4, MML1-2. That's the cream of the crop, I'd say. For me Mega Man Zero 3 is probably the pinnacle for the franchise as a whole.

Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were also both really good. It's a shame they didn't do well enough to keep both of those reboot series going.

Like I said before, I'd love it if MM11 did well and they remade Maverick Hunter X, then maybe continued the Maverick Hunter X series with X2-4, then maybe took it in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Still a lot better than the art style of Powered-Up.
    If that's the cartoon thingy, we don't talk about....that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Art style and animations (less so) looks...weird.
    HD Screencaps look pretty nice, actually. Scenery textures are pretty crisp and look hand-painted. The character models seem to be using a cel-shading style similar to what Arc System Works did with Guilty Gear Xrd and Dragon Ball FighterZ, though not executed at the same level of detail.

Animations are a bit rough, but there's plenty of time to fine tune that. I'd like to see the brightness and saturation cranked up just a tad, maybe with some more pastels thrown in; Mega Man 8 was an absolutely gorgeous game, and this could stand to hew a bit closer to those hues. But it's still not bad looking.

I mean, I'm not going to pretend that it's the best looking game ever, but for what's likely to be a $20-30 budget title, it's more than sufficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's the cartoon thingy, we don't talk about....that.
    If you ignore the ugliness, it was actually a fun game. Wish they made more of them. There was even a level editor!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    HD Screencaps look pretty nice, actually. Scenery textures are pretty crisp and look hand-painted. The character models seem to be using a cel-shading style similar to what Arc System Works did with Guilty Gear Xrd and Dragon Ball FighterZ, though not executed at the same level of detail.
    The stills do look better, but that's not much help when it comes to the game itself. It's strange, in the video it looks to me like there's some kind of film/haze covering the whole screen and washing out the colors. It's still bright and colorful and all but...I dunno, it's hard to describe.

It doesn't look like cell shading, but even if it was it wouldn't bother me. I'm usually a fan of cell shading (as you mentioned the DBZ fighting game looks fucking incredible in terms of the visuals). It's just...off, I dunno : /

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/MegaMan/status/9...116261888?s=17

Does Capcom just want to run my life next year? (can do without 7 though XD )

15+ Year Old Account
    The stills do look better, but that's not much help when it comes to the game itself. It's strange, in the video it looks to me like there's some kind of film/haze covering the whole screen and washing out the colors.
    Youtube compression?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll buy both for both PC and Switch!

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yay new Megaman, though I do propose not re-releasing X7/X8.
    As shit as those are, I still liked them, but I love shitty Mega Man games.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll probably get the x collection, but I don't like megaman very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I'll probably get the x collection, but I don't like megaman very much.
    But hes an animermay

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    But hes an animermay
    I don't really like 2d platformers in general. Exceptions are metroid and castlevania.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really like 2d platformers in general. Exceptions are metroid and castlevania.
    Fair. I luv um.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fair. I luv um.
    I try to play them but them and strategy games are just zzzzzzzzzzzzz

10+ Year Old Account
    I try to play them but them and strategy games are just zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    but anermay!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    but anermay!!!
    I know. The only strategy game I got more than the first few stages on and actually beat was disgaea 5