Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    News to me!

I don't know if I want to change the rules again, it's been a looongggg time since the rules were changed and people have generally been fine with it. What do you think?

I guess I could give the option of either or... but then I'd want to see that AVX is enabled.

However, I like that this test is 8 hours. I cannot and will not ask anyone for a 24 hour test.
    Never stated anything regarding changing the rules though!
    I only said for "mission critical" stuff, like rendering etc. it is advised to do 24 hour runs at least.
    8 hour runs are fine for general stability.

Prime95 version 26.6 do not have AVX instructions enabled so you could stick to those if you so prefer.
    That said Prime95 above version 26.6 all use AVX instructions and are generally recommended to brutally test your system as it'll be updated in identifiers per CPU as well for maximum torture testing.

There's no way to disable AVX in the versions so ... like I said AVX Offset in the BIOS for lower speed bins for max. stability.
    AVX workloads are considerably more punishing than "standard" workloads.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, okay.

Well, my OC is obviously pretty stable, on the CPU and the GPU. Sometimes Folding@Home gets left alone for over 24 hours. ;o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

How about OCCT? It has AVX on/off afaik.

10+ Year Old Account
    The rules for stability are as follows:

A screenshot of an 8+ hour (I suggest doing this when you're at work/sleeping) AIDA64 or OCCT test.
    :P
    /10chargivemeabreakI'maPREMIUMmember!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Never stated anything regarding changing the rules though!
    I only said for "mission critical" stuff, like rendering etc. it is advised to do 24 hour runs at least.
    8 hour runs are fine for general stability.

Prime95 version 26.6 do not have AVX instructions enabled so you could stick to those if you so prefer.
    That said Prime95 above version 26.6 all use AVX instructions and are generally recommended to brutally test your system as it'll be updated in identifiers per CPU as well for maximum torture testing.

There's no way to disable AVX in the versions so ... like I said AVX Offset in the BIOS for lower speed bins for max. stability.
    AVX workloads are considerably more punishing than "standard" workloads.
    Uh...

The fact that 2 cores stop in P95 should tell you that's less stable. That wouldn't be okay in my books, that tells me something is amiss. If you look back through the pages of this thread (I know, it's quite a bit) we've had discussions about this in the past and there's reasons Prime95 was removed. @Cyanotical had a lot of say in that. He's fallen off the face of mmo-champion though.
    Okay, so when I want to stress test with prime, I best use an AVX offset of 2-3.

AVX is only used for rendering and such, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Okay, so when I want to stress test with prime, I best use an AVX offset of 2-3.

AVX is only used for rendering and such, right?
    AVX is applicable in many situations, some rendering some not.
    Most of them have to be pre-defined in some manner to make use of AVX.

It's use case is relatively limited but is rising.

As far as offset amount... whatever is stable for you within temperature thresholds.
    AVX generates considerably more heat than non-AVX.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

AVX is applicable in many situations, some rendering some not.
    Most of them have to be pre-defined in some manner to make use of AVX.

It's use case is relatively limited but is rising.

As far as offset amount... whatever is stable for you within temperature thresholds.
    AVX generates considerably more heat than non-AVX.
    I set an AVX off-set of 2, which resulted in a stable OC, which isn't that surprising since it clocks back the CPU to 4800mhz, even in Aida64!

I tested a few games; PUBG, CoD WWII and Alien Isolation. In all these games the clock speed is turned back to 4.8ghz with the AVX off-set on -2 which makes me conclude that an OC with an AVX off-set is pretty much meaningless. The CPU will clock back the moment you put load on it regardless of what you're doing and whether it actually uses AVX or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    I set an AVX off-set of 2, which resulted in a stable OC, which isn't that surprising since it clocks back the CPU to 4800mhz, even in Aida64!

I tested a few games; PUBG, CoD WWII and Alien Isolation. In all these games the clock speed is turned back to 4.8ghz with the AVX off-set on -2 which makes me conclude that an OC with an AVX off-set is pretty much meaningless. The CPU will clock back the moment you put load on it regardless of what you're doing and whether it actually uses AVX or not.
    If that's the case then you have either some weird setting or a busted BIOS.

AVX Offset is meant to reduce the load by X steps (set previously) but only be triggered by AVX workloads.
    If it's done regardless of workload it means that either you set something wrong or the BIOS is bugged in some way.

If that's the case then you have either some weird setting or a busted BIOS.

AVX Offset is meant to reduce the load by X steps (set previously) but only be triggered by AVX workloads.
    If it's done regardless of workload it means that either you set something wrong or the BIOS is bugged in some way.
    The only thing I changed was AVX from 0 to 2.

Whenever I start up a game, the CPU speed fluctuates from 4.8 to 5ghz. Aida and Prime go to 4.8 right away and stay there until I stop the stress test.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I changed was AVX from 0 to 2.

Whenever I start up a game, the CPU speed fluctuates from 4.8 to 5ghz. Aida and Prime go to 4.8 right away and stay there until I stop the stress test.
    Offset is -2, not +2 for one.

AIDA64 does not have AVX unless it's a new toggle I've not seen yet.

Offset is -2, not +2 for one.

AIDA64 does not have AVX unless it's a new toggle I've not seen yet.
    Yes, setting it to 2 automatically deducts 200mhz, but you're not setting it to -2 in the bios.

I'm telling you though, Aida forces my CPU back to 4.8ghz whenever I start it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, setting it to 2 automatically deducts 200mhz, but you're not setting it to -2 in the bios.

I'm telling you though, Aida forces my CPU back to 4.8ghz whenever I start it.
    Just making sure on the AVX offset part as ASUS boards specifically ask you to set either -2 or +2.

As far as the latter part goes... I'll believe you, perhaps an update added AVX.
    But that does not explain why games are limiting itself to 4,8GHz if your setting is 5,0GHz.

Last I checked there's not a single game out there that's played by the masses using AVX.

What happens if you untick "Stress FPU" in AIDA64, does that boost up to 5,0GHz after? If they added AVX it'd be in that option.

And games SHOULD be running at 5,0GHz... provided there's no bugs in the firmware and whatnot.

Just making sure on the AVX offset part as ASUS boards specifically ask you to set either -2 or +2.

As far as the latter part goes... I'll believe you, perhaps an update added AVX.
    But that does not explain why games are limiting itself to 4,8GHz if your setting is 5,0GHz.

Last I checked there's not a single game out there that's played by the masses using AVX.

What happens if you untick "Stress FPU" in AIDA64, does that boost up to 5,0GHz after? If they added AVX it'd be in that option.

And games SHOULD be running at 5,0GHz... provided there's no bugs in the firmware and whatnot.
    Newer Asus boards don't, they merely ask you to enter the number you wish to deduct from the core clock. So entering 2, will result in a -200mhz clock-back.

Anyway, I'll fiddle around with it a bit more this afternoon.

Apparently it's a known bug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL1dTLHsntU
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-12-07 at 10:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Newer Asus boards don't, they merely ask you to enter the number you wish to deduct from the core clock. So entering 2, will result in a -200mhz clock-back.

Anyway, I'll fiddle around with it a bit more this afternoon.

Apparently it's a known bug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL1dTLHsntU
    Weird, I'll re-check the Offset in my own BIOS when I get my ASUS Maximus X Code board.

Regardless ... if it is a bug then it's like a I said ... user error or issue in the BIOS, in this case it's the latter.

Weird, I'll re-check the Offset in my own BIOS when I get my ASUS Maximus X Code board.

Regardless ... if it is a bug then it's like a I said ... user error or issue in the BIOS, in this case it's the latter.
    Aye, the only thing we can do now is make 2 OC profiles if AVX instruction stability is important to you; One without guaranteed AVX stability at for example 5ghz and one with AVX stability at for example 4.7ghz.

You can test the first profile with prime95 26.6 or Aida 64 and the second profile with the newest version of Prime.

I will only make 1 profile, since AVX is not important for me.

EDIT:

There appears to be consensus on Asus Realbench being the best realistic AVX stress test, so if you want to test system stability with AVX, you best use that rather than the new version of Prime.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-12-07 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a weird time when there's more quality information in this thread than in most Overclock.net threads.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    It's a weird time when there's more quality information in this thread than in most Overclock.net threads.
    I knew... one day, ONE DAY we'd get the respect we so deserved! <3 The mmo-champion computer forums have helped me for YEARS and have come a long way. Sure dumb arguments are still had, but it's definitely not the cancer some people claim it to be!
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Careful now... people may think it's all them doing it!

Honestly every forum has their good guys and their dumb-asses.
    I allow myself to think that I'm a good guy with a lot of information but at the same time I can be a dumb-ass for entering into (sometimes pointless but not always) arguments with trolls.

This makes me good on info and part of the problem... the way to navigate this stuff on any forum is to sort it all out individually.
    It requires time ... but everyone stands much to learn from a lot of experienced people as long as we can get over some of their personalities.

Just because this forum is a "minor forum" in terms of computer stuff compared to the "bigger names" does not mean we know less and also vice versa.

There, felt like I had to say that.

Well, not a big achievement considering that most people on those boards are complete idiots. I mean, to get some useful information you have to make your way through 300 "I'm stable at 5.2ghz" replies, that give no additional information whatsoever. When you go and ask them, they barely ever did an actual stress test other than cinebench. If they did a Prime test, it's usually for less than 30 minutes with an avx-offset of 4 which means they essentially tested 4.8ghz stability.

I did learn something though and I have to admit I was partially wrong in the beginning: I thought achieving 5.0ghz stability was fairly easy with a 8700k. But in fact, it's quite the opposite (as someone on this forum already mentioned) if you demand AVX stability.

All this testing has left a few questions;
    - Should we even use Prime95 AVX to test stability? Or is Prime95 unrealistically demanding and better avoided?
    - Would Asus Realbench be a better indicator of stability, since it uses AVX but doesn't strain your CPU as much as Prime95 does?

My thoughts? I think Prime95 should be avoided unless you're actually going to calculate prime numbers on your pc. If you're testing for stability, a few hours of Asus Realbench is more than enough.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-12-09 at 07:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got a big overclocking bug that can only be cured from overclocking, picked it up from Gamers Nexus. I've finally managed to get a 36x125MHz on my i7-5820K to be log into Windows capable, now just trying to get it to last. Feeding more and more juice. Will be interesting to see what it takes. Voltage is up a solid chunk.
    "A flower.