Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    The nukes were necessary and should not be apologized for.
    Then maybe bombing your fleet was too ?

Let's see : one is a military operation against military personnel. the other is the murder of 2 entire cities worth of unarmed civilians to test your new toys

Deleted
    so sad to see people with such derogatory things to say about an event that cost so many people their lives because they are behind a computer screen.

anyone who has had something negative to say about this event, i feel so sorry for you , you must be in such a bad spot in life to have such views. hope you can sort yourselves out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post

Let's see : one is a military operation against military personnel. the other is the murder of 2 entire cities worth of unarmed civilians to test your new toys
    I honestly could care less if they do or do not or have or have not apologized for Pearl Harbor. It is over. Sorry doesn't bring anyone back and its been long enough ago to where honestly I am not bitter over it at all. History is history.

7+ Year Old Account

Cry me a river and bore somebody else with your anti-americanism.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwheaton View Post
    If you think that is terrible I would suggest staying ignorant of the firebombings that killed more people, The estimated death toll if Truman had decided to go with Operation Downfall instead of dropping the bomb. Also I would try to steer clear of facts like Hiroshima and Nagasaki were valid military targets given their industrial departments churning out weapons for the war effort and the pamphlet bombing runs informing citizens that America has a great and terrible weapon if you can leave the city you should leave the city. And whatever you do please under any circumstance do not research Unit 731.
    translation: "It was perfectly ok to nuke civilians".. then again, the US loves that right? Killing civilians. Look at Iraq, Iran, etc etc

But please, do keep justifying killing innocents, it makes you look great!

hahaha.. "oh no someone doesn't like what america did they are total facists and anti-american!" please do keep crying, it's adorable.

Deleted
    Like I need to. The most anti American people are Americans themselves. That country is slowly destroying itself and its gonna be delicious irony when comrade China takes 1st place

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    translation: "It was perfectly ok to nuke civilians".. then again, the US loves that right? Killing civilians. Look at Iraq, Iran, etc etc

But please, do keep justifying killing innocents, it makes you look great!

hahaha.. "oh no someone doesn't like what america did they are total facists and anti-american!" please do keep crying, it's adorable.
    Didnt you say that what the japanese did pales in comparison to what the us did? I take it you have no knowledge of the second Sino Japanese War? 14 million dead civilians, Unit 731, rape of nanking/nanking massacre etc etc the list is to long. Its the other way around, what the us did pales in comparison to what the japanese did. Go do some research then come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember Hiroshima too
    That happened on a different day. Wait for it.

If you were concerned about the wholesale bombing of civilians your original post would have been
    "Remember Rotterdam, London, Belgrade, Warsaw, Liverpool, Kiev, Frankfurt, Berlin, Nuremberg, Stalingrad, Leningrad, Munich, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Kagoshima, Dresden, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Milan, Turin, Naples, Toyama, Yokohama. (List continues for three more pages)"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    If you were concerned about the wholesale bombing of civilians your original post would have been
    "Remember Rotterdam, London, Belgrade, Warsaw, Liverpool, Kiev, Frankfurt, Berlin, Nuremberg, Stalingrad, Leningrad, Munich, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Kagoshima, Dresden, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Milan, Turin, Naples, Toyama, Yokohama. (List continues for three more pages)"
    Well yeah how about no bombings at all ? We're in agreement here

But still nuclear bombing is a whole new level than ww2 style shells

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Didnt you say that what the japanese did pales in comparison to what the us did? I take it you have no knowledge of the second Sino Japanese War? 14 million dead civilians, Unit 731, rape of nanking/nanking massacre etc etc the list is to long. Its the other way around, what the us did pales in comparison to what the japanese did. Go do some research then come back.
    Remember, anti-american sentiment is popular on mmo-champ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which came first again? (Oh and Nagasaki was a military target btw.)

Deleted
    Aww shit ! Different opinions!

What will we do ?

Numbers may differ but atrocities committed are just on par

Agent orange still causes problems
    The atrocities are not on par. What US did was not ok with agent orange, but the act was very different than the Nanking Massacre. They are not in the same category.

- - - Updated - - -

Aww shit ! Different opinions!

What will we do ?
    Only you could come in here and turn a remembrance thread into your soap box.

Deleted
    I wonder how many people remember the dates when wars have ended. Either way, I'm not a fan of these forced "remember!" days. Most of them get alienated and are nothing more than propaganda. If people want to learn from history then there are much better methods that will also include everything that is connected in some way.

15+ Year Old Account
    What the imperial Japanese army did during it's heyday was equal to (arguably worse) than whatever the Nazis did. However, pretending that Japan randomly and without provocation attacked Pearl Harbor is ridiculous.

I hate the fact that nuclear weapons was used to slaughter innocent people by the hundreds of thousands, but far more people would've died had the US gone with the other option, an invasion. Japanese people would've been killed by the millions then, no doubt about it. They would never, ever have given up, not until half the country was dead.

So, the atomic bombs was the absolute epitome of a "necessary evil".

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it was also the perfect opportunity to show the world what the US can do.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootkitt View Post
    Only you could come in here and turn a remembrance thread into your soap box.
    I dunno. Some Americans bleat about how they saved everyone and won WW2; it gets tiresome (not least because it was mostly Russia), you're gonna get some pushback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Well yeah how about no bombings at all ? We're in agreement here

But still nuclear bombing is a whole new level than ww2 style shells
    Civilian bombing was civilian bombing, whether incinerated in a nuclear flash in Japan, burning alive in a firestorm in Germany, or starving to death trapped under rubble in Russia. Fixation on the nukes detracts from any serious and reasonable discussion of the policy of targeting cities as a whole.

There's also the issue when discussion the destruction wrought during WWII it's impractical to focus on one feature without accounting for greater context. Nuking two cities was horrible. Incinerating several other cities in firestorms of incendiary bombing was also horrible. Armies rampaging across the countryside engaging in scorched earth and reducing every town to ruin was also horrible. Taking the big picture of the conflict into account Japan was better off as a whole with the nuclear strikes as opposed to the alternative. Japan's cities were destroyed, but outside the cities was left generally untouched. Germany's cities were destroyed, and the German countryside was fought over inch by inch across almost the entire country and left largely in total ruin. Japan as a nation was left largely intact regarding Japanese "home territory", Germany was carved up into four pieces with some home territory permanently stripped away and what remained was not put back together for almost 50 years.

And so on. Not to diminish the effects of a nuclear strike on a city, but look objectively at the entire picture.

7+ Year Old Account
    Very easy to spot the people in this thread who hold anti-american sentiment or american guilt.
    If you say the same thing 3 times it must be true.

Seeing some people be critical upon reflecting on our use of the atomic bomb in WW2, means that they HAVE to be anti-American. That's definitely the right use of an -ism.

The victim complex is real. It's also popular on mmo-champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    You might end up getting reported. This is suppose to turn into a nation bash against the US. Nazi death camps and Japanese death squads were far better alternatives because honestly no one here really had to deal with them. Instead they had to deal with the terror of the US giving them KFC and McDonalds. The golden light glow of those arches haunt many of the world to this day.

I mean it would have been better we just invaded Japan directly and lost a 500k to a million troops on our side and likely most if not all the Japanese army and many, many, many more civilians in the final battles just to not use the nuclear weapons. Of course maybe now in the future we know that it was possible they would have surrendered or given up without the use of the weapons. Amazing what you can do and know like 80 years after the fact with all the documents of both sides and years of study. Or how little it matters while 100s if not 1000s of people are dying daily while you sit around and hope for a peaceful solution at the the end of the greatest war the world has ever known.

Russians should have clearly just surrounded Berlin and not attacked it. It cost to many lives on the German side. So many rapes. So many murders. The Germans could have struck a deal if they were given time right. I mean at that point the war was over right? It was eventual. But it seemed like their lust for revenge and desire for political and territorial power trumped it. Which also played a role in what the US did to Japan as well. Welcome to how the world really works.
    With the Soviets invading Imperial occupied Manchuria the same day as the first bombing, it's not that far off that(assuming we don't drop any of them) we'd probably have another powder keg-choked country cleaved in two like Korea and Vietnam, with a communist north and democratic south.
    Last edited by Chinese Bootlickers; 2017-12-07 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Added stuffs