Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should more complex stats make a return? (block%, MP5, hit, defense rating, etc)

One of the great things about Vanilla, TBC, and to a lesser extend WotLK and Cataclysm was the fact that gearing was much much more interesting that it is today. Today, there are maybe 1-2 "best stats" and all we do is try to find gear that fill those best stats. But when we had to balance our gear and take into account hit percentage, and as a tank, crit hit block, defense rating, etc, gearing felt much more meaningful.

I feel that Blizzard went a bit too far by removing most stats, including hit%. I know the goal was to make the game easier to understand, and allow the player less focus on getting the "right gear", but itemization and gearing are major staples in an MMO. Thats part of the fun of the game, and part of the fun of killing bosses.

The existence of tools and websites like Mr. Robot, shouldn't be an excuse to remove complexity from the game. The whole philosophy that WoW is easy to get into, but hard to master was due in part by the complexity of the gearing game. Theorycrafters were all over the tank defense calculations and it became fun for higher end players to do those calculations to be the very best they could be. Now... its just, "does the piece of gear have haste and mastery, and is there more haste than mastery?" "No?" *discards item*

Honestly Jay mate.

I wouldn't mind more stats than we currently have.

And get rid of Versatility. Bring back Multistrike while we are at it. Was actually a fun stat.

If you didn't call them "more complex", I would have said sure.

Now I just have to point out that there is nothing "more complex" about them.

I'd never want hit/expertise back. It was not complex... In fact no stat has ever been complex (maybe haste breakpoints...? Even then, websites hooo), it was just an annoyance - you simply got AddOns/websites to do it instantly for you and it meant you could not equip upgrades there and then, you'd have to ask your RL if you could port out and go mess about with AMR or something.

Defense is something I'd personally like, but then again I'd rather not when I see how awful other people playing tanks are.

Reforging definitely can stay away. You don't need it with Hit/Exp gone, and if you think you do then you need to stop rolling on gear with shit stats for you because "muh ilvl" and give it to people who it actually benefits FULLY.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-12-07 at 04:47 PM.

Honestly, in my opinion, it's not fun to have to math every time you change a piece of gear.
    I like how stats are now. When there were hundreds more stats, I also had much more free time to waste in math. As of now, I don't have time at all and I have to decide when the piece drops: is it interesting? Do I need it? having only 3-4 stats makes it much more easy to decide

these stats would be a little too hard for the current playerbase to wrap their mind around.. Plus, none of them have time to worry about these sorts of things

IMO defense rating, hit and reforge should return.;

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    The "old" secondaries weren't complex.
    They were more annoying than fun because if I found an upgrade, but it dropped me below 8% hit, it wasn't a real upgrade and required other pieces to balance it out, so it sat in the bags and waited (or I would pass the roll on it to someone who could use it, because I'm not a shitbag lootwhore like some people).
    Reforging helped a little with finding the right hit, but then it just became another task, where you check a site or addon and just do what it says.
    Oh, I have enough hit, ok, so I reforge the worst secondary to the best.
    Not exactly compelling.

I say get rid of secondaries altogether.
    Then there's no need to complain about itemization, how one stat is god for one spec while trash for another, etc.
    Have primary stat, then let that control all secondaries passively at a fixed incremental rate.
    No more loot drama, just "is it higher ilvl? yes? well then, slap that bitch on!"
    No more "my spec needs all the mastery ever and all I get is haste/vers trash!".
    Blizz will never be able to balance the 4 simple secondaries ones they have today, given the various effects haste, mastery, and crit have on certain specs that favor one over the others.
    Make it baseline, go full arcade mode, and grind/kill/grind/kill.

Right?
    Meh.

Hit was anything, but complex, good riddance.

MP5 was a stupid stat, but it's kinda fun back in the day...

10+ Year Old Account
    If we had reforging back, I wouldn't mind having hit rating in. You know, so we have to manage our equipment.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

When it comes to things like stats more is almost always better.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Honestly Jay mate.

And get rid of Versatility. Bring back Multistrike while we are at it. Was actually a fun stat.
    I cannot agree with this more. Multistrike was an interesting stat. Sure it was like crit, but still felt "fun".

Versatility that adds small %'s of flat damage or reduction is boring as shit. Haste is kind of boring too and I hate when any spec needs haste to be viable. Haste is only fine if it is a cooldown or stacking buff.

I'd like to see Hit, Resistance, Spell/Armor Penetration, and Defense Rating make a comeback, while also instituting Reforging again.

Versatility needs to die horribly in a fire, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Honestly Jay mate.

I support ditching Vers and bringing back Multistrike and a modified Amplification - have it increase critical effect
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Hit rating was puke. This is not baldur's gate back in fucking 1850's, missing is not fun in any way, and the BASIC is to 100% hit, so there's not even a "fun" point to reach with this stat, it's only negative.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of these stats were removed for good reason. It wasn't because they were too complex.... it was because they caused some kind of problem, either with scaling, awkward capping, balance or redundancy.

I'd be okay with introducing some new and interesting gear stats, but bringing back the old ones is dumb. They were removed for a reason.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendevis View Post
    Honestly, in my opinion, it's not fun to have to math every time you change a piece of gear.
    I like how stats are now. When there were hundreds more stats, I also had much more free time to waste in math. As of now, I don't have time at all and I have to decide when the piece drops: is it interesting? Do I need it? having only 3-4 stats makes it much more easy to decide
    I agree.

I like the simplicity of it right now. Before I had sit there staring at my screen doing mental math for like 10 minutes to make sure everything is right and the way I want it. Now you don't really have to do that shit you just equip what is better and that's it and that's how it should be. Maybe other people find doing math fun but I just like to play the game. It's not fun when I have to constantly math my way through the game. Just tell me what is better to use and end it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Loooolz.looolz View Post
    IMO defense rating, hit and reforge should return.;
    Reforging was just a cancerous annoying feature
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz17 View Post
    Multistrike <3
    I think I smell Elemental Shaman here
    "Ahhh ahhhhh, ahhh, yeah, ahhhh, YEAH, YEAH, RIGHT THERE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh" Jenna Jameson