Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    it would all depends if negligence is proven. IF someone breaks in your house and steals it, nothing much you could have done. I think that's what happen in that case. But if you show negligence in in handling and hiding the gun, perhaps some amount of responsibility, yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Responsible gun owners don't store their weapons in vehicles.
    Some gun owners do, though, and if they're not breaking a law by doing so, then why wouldn't they do just that. How to figure out how many gun owners store their weapons in vehicles, and how to stop that from happening. I mean, all kinds of regulation is always out of the question, we know that. Perhaps wishful thinking would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Had the person locked their guns up properly at home they would never have been stolen. The owner deserves full punishment for being an irresponsible jackass.
    Right... But how is punishing an irresponsible jackass going to help the person who has already been shot. Would you choose prevention or punishment after the fact?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Number 1: Responsible gun owners don't store their weapons in vehicles. Ever...
    Number 2: The police failed to properly search the suspect.
    Number 3: Police failed to properly secure the suspect in the back of the police cruiser while also being mindful of what they are doing back there.

Nice bait title though.
    I give it a 0/10 because the article doesn't remotely come close to making this a gun ownership issue. And you clearly didn't read the article.
    I would not want to or plan on storing any of my firearms in a car. But, there may be cases where you would need to temporarily. This happened to me once when I drove a good distance to do a tour with family members only to see the no guns allowed inside sign on the door to enter the place. I had to leave my firearm in my SUV. But I hid it from view and locked the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    .... Only to be used later on that day to shoot a police officer in the head.

https://www.google.com/amp/fox2now.c...r-surgery/amp/

There needs to be a very harsh penalties for gun owners who have their firearms stolen, or lose them.
    why the heck would you punish the guy that was a victim of a crime.... If my car is stolen and used as a get-away car should i get in trouble for that to? What if an attacker gets into a person's PC and bounces off it to perform cyber crimes, should the PC owner get in trouble?
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    So if someone steals your automobile and they then use it illegally to commit a crime, the owner should be punished too?
    First of all a car still is not a thing, only designed to kill, and yes, if you allow unfit people having acess to it, like keep the door open, and the key inside, which is then used to purposely run people over, yes the car owner should be hold partially responsible.

I would not want to or plan on storing any of my firearms in a car. But, there may be cases where you would need to temporarily. This happened to me once when I drove a good distance to do a tour with family members only to see the non guns allowed inside sign on the door to enter the place. I had to leave my firearm in my SUV. But I hid it from view and locked the doors.
    But also there are very relatively cheap safes for your car where you can store a firearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Had the person locked their guns up properly at home they would never have been stolen. The owner deserves full punishment for being an irresponsible jackass.
    The punishment was getting his firearm stolen. Should you be responsible if someone steals something from your car, including your car, and uses it in a crime?

Fuck that.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    First of all a car still is not a thing, only designed to kill, and yes, if you allow unfit people having acess to it, like keep the door open, and the key inside, which is then used to purposely run people over, yes the car owner should be hold partially responsible.
    Firearms are not only designed to kill. They are designed to fire a projectile at a fast speed down a barrel. Thus why some only use them for competition shooting. That said, I am for laws requiring gun owners to safely store their weapons and keep them relatively safe from thief. Having them in a locked car temporarily and out of view, is.

- - - Updated - - -

But also there are very relatively cheap safes for your car where you can store a firearm.
    That is a good thing. But what keeps the thief from stealing the safe and then breaking it open later? They make some pretty good tools to do that.

Firearms are not only designed to kill. They are designed to fire a projectile at a fast speed down a barrel. Thus why some only use them for competition shooting. That said, I am for laws requiring gun owners to safely store their weapons and keep them relatively safe from thief. Having them in a locked car temporarily and out of view is.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a good thing. But what keeps the thief from stealing the safe and then breaking it open later? They make some pretty good tools to do that.
    They usually bolt it to your cars frame under the seat. You would need a lot of time and you would make a lot of noise trying to get it out.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

.... Only to be used later on that day to shoot a police officer in the head.

https://www.google.com/amp/fox2now.c...r-surgery/amp/

There needs to be a very harsh penalties for gun owners who have their firearms stolen, or lose them.
    You still haven't addressed on what point I missed in the article. He stole two weapons, and shot the officer in the head. Agreed, storing your gun in a car is irresponsible, and people should be punished.

Now, either tell me what I missed in the article, or move along.
    You insinuate that the weapons that were stolen were taken from "responsible" gun owners. So even while storing my weapon responsibly in my home someone can still steal it. And the guy who had his weapon in his car which really isn't being responsible. But at the end of the day the storage situation of the weapons isn't the problem, because other than general location we know nothing else of how they were stored.

So what you missed was, there is no representation of the gun owners being overly careless with their storage. Lets also not forget they had their privacy violated in the act of theft.

I would not want to or plan on storing any of my firearms in a car. But, there may be cases where you would need to temporarily. This happened to me once when I drove a good distance to do a tour with family members only to see the no guns allowed inside sign on the door to enter the place. I had to leave my firearm in my SUV. But I hid it from view and locked the doors.
    I would still say hiding it in the vehicle isn't enough, a locked case, or I believe some companies make legit car safes would be better. But that would only be for people who actually store weapons in their vehicles for whatever reason. Still no reason to not have a hidden, lockable case somewhere in your vehicle in the off chance you aren't allowed to carry where ever you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    People should be responsible for their own actions, not the actions of others. The person who had their property stolen is not responsible for what the thief did with it. They are victims, and have caused no harm. yes, this is tantamount to victim blaming.

This mentality should be applied to all aspects of life, stop blaming one person for the actions of another.
    they are responsible for not keeping their gun safe though
    Ofc they shouldn't get punished as if they shot the cop in the head themselves,but they should be punished for letting their gun be stolen in the first place

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why any of my firearms not on me are left in the care of highly trained velociraptors.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So if someone steals your automobile and they then use it illegally to commit a crime, the owner should be punished too?
    No, but also completely irrelevent. False equivalence fallacy ftw

You insinuate that the weapons that were stolen were taken from "responsible" gun owners. So even while storing my weapon responsibly in my home someone can still steal it. And the guy who had his weapon in his car which really isn't being responsible. But at the end of the day the storage situation of the weapons isn't the problem, because other than general location we know nothing else of how they were stored.

So what you missed was, there is no representation of the gun owners being overly careless with their storage. Lets also not forget they had their privacy violated in the act of theft.

I would still say hiding it in the vehicle isn't enough, a locked case, or I believe some companies make legit car safes would be better. But that would only be for people who actually store weapons in their vehicles for whatever reason. Still no reason to not have a hidden, lockable case somewhere in your vehicle in the off chance you aren't allowed to carry where ever you are going.
    So your real issues that I used the word responsible. I am in full agreement that the gun owner was not responsible, But I get tired of hearing and seeing the same old tired argument of every gun owner seems to be responsible, except when they aren't. I probably should've put responsible in "s but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Right... But how is punishing an irresponsible jackass going to help the person who has already been shot. Would you choose prevention or punishment after the fact?
    Why would it need to help the victim? The point of punishing him is to show these other moronic gun lovers that they need to be more responsible with their weapons. I choose prevention AND punishment. Punish those involved and add preventative measures to keep it from happening again. The fact that the some states laws allow the person to even have a weapon casually sitting in their vehicle like that just shows how moronic the USA is to begin with.

In Canada, when your weapons aren't in use, they have to have trigger locks or be locked in a gun case. During transport they must be locked and empty of ammunition. If they are left unattended for any time in a vehicle, they must also be hidden out of sight. YOU are responsible for YOUR weapon. If someone steals it out of your vehicle, you can be charged.
    When in doubt. Derp it out.

Deleted
    I kinda get your point. A gun is different thing than other stuff you can kill people with, but this subject is tricky, cause it brings out things like these as someone already mentioned: "My scarf was stolen and the thief strangled someone with it. Should I be punished?"

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    they are responsible for not keeping their gun safe though
    Ofc they shouldn't get punished as if they shot the cop in the head themselves,but they should be punished for letting their gun be stolen in the first place
    I'm not saying the gun owner who had their firearm stolen should face jail time for a first offense. But there should be a penalty or fine if you do get a firearm stolen, nd especially if you fail to report it.

Ive read some silly things on the internet and this is up there. There is no reason to punish someone for being the victim of a crime.

So your real issues that I used the word responsible. I am in full agreement that the gun owner was not responsible, But I get tired of hearing and seeing the same old tired argument of every gun owner seems to be responsible, except when they aren't. I probably should've put responsible in "s but it is what it is.
    My real issue is trying to turn this story into a anti-gun example, when clearly it is not. Not even close. The article doesn't even touch on the subject of gun ownership, but what it does touch on is the break down in police procedure that lead to an officer getting shot and the suspect getting the chance to kill himself.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just because circumstances made it difficult to be responsible does not change the fact you're describing an irresponsible act on your part. This is part of the problem I have with the idea of "responsible gun owners". Most people who proclaim to be one are, in fact, not so. They simply don't realise it.