Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    the only good thing about tga is the video from master crowbcat that we're going to get about it, let's stop pretending there's anything else to it

Wait hold up. Zelda won best "game direction"? There is no direction, they set you up in the starter zone and let you do w/e the fuck you want whenever you want in any order you want.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Or a great game that broke out of it's normal shell to surprise us all was the best of the year. /shrug

Stay salty, I guess.
    Oh you mean the one that used the same hero and world that it’s been using for the past 20 years and copied almost everything it had from other games before it?

At least HZD was a new IP with a new twist/ideas for the story and gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Wait hold up. Zelda won best "game direction"? There is no direction, they set you up in the starter zone and let you do w/e the fuck you want whenever you want in any order you want.

*sigh*
    Thats not what direction in awards mean. Think of the Oscar for best director. Its an award for the best execution of the concept. So its a praise for how well it handled open world genre.

*sigh*
    This is so fucking funny.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fact PubG and Zelda are in the top 5, shows how awful games were this year.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Thats not what direction in awards mean. Think of the Oscar for best director. Its an award for the best execution of the concept. So its a praise for how well it handled open world genre.
    And considering how it was Nintendo's first real attempt at open world, and none of the Zelda games were open world before that, id say it well deserved that.

GotY should have went to Persona 5 in my opinion, but eh.

Deleted
    weren't the prievious zelda games sort of open world though? just not in the traditional western ubisoft-skyrim way we associate 'open world' titles with

I actually wasn't too impressed with BOTW. I really don't think it should have won GOTY. It's not a bad game but I can't help but feel that it is incredibly overrated in the same way as many Nintendo games happen to be. It's not so bad on this site but elsewhere there's a real cult like attitude involved whenever Nintendo does stuff.

The music in BOTW isn't present very often and is largely forgettable. The story, too, is fairly light and isn't really doing anything new. So I really think the GOTY should have gone to a title that actually had an astounding soundtrack and a thought provoking story. Persona 5 and Nier: Automata both meet that criteria but I'm sure there's other contenders too.

I love Zelda but it shouldn't have won game of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    The fact PubG and Zelda are in the top 5, shows how awful games were this year.
    Maybe for you but for many others (myself included) this was one of the best years for gaming.

There was a shit ton of good titles that came out this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    GotY should have went to Persona 5 in my opinion, but eh.
    IMO games it should have went to over Zelda is.

Neir,Persona 5, Wolfenstein 2, Noih and many others. At lease PUBG didn't win it tho.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    I love Zelda but it shouldn't have won game of the year
    Agreed.

I'll always say that nobody would've given a damn about Breath of the Wild had it not 3 things: 1) The title having the word "Zelda", 2) Link as the main character, 3) Made by Nintendo. Had another company made the exact same game, with a different protagonist and just called it "Breath of the Wild" - everybody would be calling it for what it is, a cheaper production version of Skyrim. It's not a bad game - it is good, it's just not fucking GotY good (unless you're somebody who squees every time the word "Zelda" is mentioned, of course)

IMO - it should've gone to Horizon: Zero Dawn. I still can't believe H:ZD didn't win anything. How the HELL does Zelda win Best Direction over H:ZD when there was ACTUAL presentation direction in it over Zelda!? o_O

Uhh, games actually have legit directors now in a lot of situations. BoTW had none. His argument is legit, compared to games like H:ZD, Persona 5, Uncharted TLL, Wolfenstein 2, Nier Automata etc that actually have directors making sure everything happens at the right time, making sure their actors are performing their lines properly at all times and reacting with proper emotion.

BoTW winning best direction is a joke. BoTW being nominated for best music was also a joke.(thank God Nier won that, but Zelda shouldn't have even been nominated).

direction again does not dictate a story, you fail at understanding what directing is, director does not write the story. He is in charge of the proper execution of everything. He direct actors, direct set, sound, music, effects, etc. basicly directng is an award for the execution of the entire concept of the movie, game etc. Something with absolutely no story could even win best direction, thats why there is other award for best screenplay/story, best acting etc.

you fail at understanding what directing is
    Pretty sure that's you right now, getting up in arms because your darling game is being questioned.

Again, there are games that have legitimate directors that could get a job outside of making video games. BoTW is not one of those games. Pretty sure you didn't even read my post, or if you did you wrote the biggest fail of a retort one could possibly do arguing points that weren't even brought up and even further putting BoTW into a corner.

you realise i have no part in voting anyway, but again lack of director=/= direction in a product. I would not voted botw anyway, the point remains the person i quoted and you lack any understanding of what direction is. I can make a painting and get awarded for best art direction, its about the execution of the concept. Your grip with a game does not make it not have a direction, even the worse game of the year had a direction.

i realise even argueing with people that cant be objective is a lost cause anyway. Keep crying about awards be my guess.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-12-09 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    As I said my Game of the Year is Cuphead without a doubt personally.
    I loved Cuphead to bits. Every facet of the game oozes both charm and wonderful attention to detail. That said, my games of the year would have been a toss up between XCOM2's War of the Chosen expansion and Tekken 7. I've racked up more hours on both than I would care to admit. Tekken 7 especially - I get such joy out of punching Marshal Law right in his stupid face

If it was in the running, I'd have gone for Guilty Gear Rev 2 - It's a much better 2D fighter than Injustice 2, and it's extremely rare that a fighting game makes the effort to educate new players and definately not to the extent that GG does. It'll goes as far as having tutorials for matchups you're having problems with, right down to the moves that are giving you trouble. Sadly, it's a bit too niche to ever win game of the year awards. Now, Dragonball Figher Z on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    They showed a 'new' trailer for the FF7 Remake at the London Distant Worlds concert in November. It was only a tiny bit of new footage mixed in with the existing trailer, though - so if they're still being that tight lipped about it then I do think it's best to assume it won't be happening for a while yet.
    Given Squenix's usual development clusterfuck pipeline, it doesn't surprise me at all. Hell, FF VX has been in development for longer than some of its players have even been born!

More than likely, FFVII isn't even passed the concept stage at this point while they're busy trying to cram as many conflicting ideas into it as they can when trying to decide what they should modernise and what parts they should keep. They're not showing more footage because they've got nothing interesting or new to show. I feel sorry for the people who'll be buying it episodically, it's going to be a long wait between episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I want more screen-time for Rufus in FF7's Remake. He's my favourite character in the game even to this day.
    Despite being set up as a secondary antagonist, he never really fills the role. You fight him once, he orders your execution, he gets blown up and, if you're lucky, he shows up to help you fight Sephiroth. It does feel like most of his character development was left on the cutting room floor.

My games of the year
    1.) Zelda BOTW, I was fully immersed in the expansive rich world, amazing gameplay, decent story stuff, I personally really enjoyed most of the shrines and divine beasts, and Hyrule Castle is one of the coolest places I have ever been to in an open world game,
    2.) Hollow Knight, It was supposed to be SMO but Hollow Knight is the prime example of a metroidvania that can outdo both Metroid and Castlevania.

For the record I don't think it was fair to have Cuphead in best debut Indie. It may have been an indie game but it had Microsofts funding and marketing behind it which means in a contest of popularity of votes of course it would beat out other Indies.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Hat in Time deserved game of the year

I loved it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yea, what would anyone do if they couldn't pick up 200 different rocks that have koroks under them.

HZD and BoTW are both literal open world games with copy pasted filler everywhere(which is essential to the genre). Trying to debate one did something the other didn't mechanically is arguing through your own bias sun glasses.
    You don't even have to pick up any of those rocks to actually finish the game. They are just there for people who wish to explore every corner of the map. Granted, I personally did not want to do that, but that's why the game is great; you can choose to finish the game any way you want in any order you want. You could walk up to Ganon in your underpants if you so desire, something that I don't see that often in an open world game.

- - - Updated - - -

*sigh*
    Taken directly from the website:
    Best Game Direction
    Awarded to a game studio for outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design.

Are you seriously going to take the word "direction" in the most literal sense here?