Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do we need lessons on this shit, it really isn't fucking complicated there are 60 minutes markers ticks a circle numbered every fifth from right to left in ascending order is in Bold, from 1 to 12, and their are 3 hands controlled by gears in following order also going from right to left small hand that goes around that determines the seconds, a large fat long one that follows the minutes, and a great big show fat one that follows the hours.

That's it write it down, practice it at home and good luck on your next class, how to wipe your ass 101, does the toilet paper go over or under? And is one pass with 2 ply really enough?

Find out next kiddies

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Millennials are pretty fucking stupid, sooo......
    No Millennials aren't fucking stupid, stupid is buying into this bullshit millennials don't know how to fucking read a clock.

They might not do it because they don't need to but I am pretty goddamn sure they know.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

5+ Year Old Account
    My nephews and nieces get annoyed when I say things like "quarter to/past x" and "half past y" instead of giving them a number and how boy do they had it when I say "oh its about four" "NO ITS NOT, IT'S 3:58!!!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I know how, but I'm on the older end of the millennial scale I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Well depending on what you count as a millennial I probably qualify, and this clock says it's 7:11 right on the dot

I'm 27 soon. There was a long part in my life where i straight up refused to learn how to read an analog clock. I hate it when people don't keep up with progress. There are digital clocks, so use them. Just as there is no reason to still use rotary dial phones, mercury thermometers, and walkmans, there is no reason to still use analog clocks.

This also applies to other areas of life, like language, cooking, eating, etc. Just fucking go with the times.

That being said, i can read them, i'm just not particularly fast at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tkioz View Post
    My nephews and nieces get annoyed when I say things like "quarter to/past x" and "half past y" instead of giving them a number and how boy do they had it when I say "oh its about four" "NO ITS NOT, IT'S 3:58!!!".
    Yeah your nephews and nieces are correct it's fucking annoying, I can read a analog clock and this has always been a dumb fucking answer even back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, even if they aren't taught how, analog clocks are a dying device. Why read a grandfather clock when you always have a phone that blatantly tells you the time without prior education. At this point teaching kids how to read an analog clock is like teaching them how to rewind a VCR tape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I'm 27 soon. There was a long part in my life where i straight up refused to learn how to read an analog clock. I hate it when people don't keep up with progress. There are digital clocks, so use them. Just as there is no reason to still use rotary dial phones, mercury thermometers, and walkmans, there is no reason to still use analog clocks.

This also applies to other areas of life, like language, cooking, eating, etc. Just fucking go with the times.

That being said, i can read them, i'm just not particularly fast at it.
    This is kind of stupid but I generally agree, although if you struggle to read a fucking analog clock you are in some serious trouble later in life, yeah if you don't need it after you learned it please discard it, but at least make sure you do INDEED KNOW how how to do something before you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Quarter to 6 is a phrase used by idiots to sound smarter than actual intelligent people that simply say 5:45.
    Nobody thinks they are intelligent saying this, it's part of everyday normal language for generations. You don't come across particularly intelligent if you think otherwise, in the UK it's much more likely to hear someone say quarter to 6 than 5:45, like 7/10 times.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Nobody thinks they are intelligent saying this, it's part of everyday normal language for generations. You don't come across particularly intelligent if you think otherwise, in the UK it's much more likely to hear someone say quarter to 6 than 5:45, like 7/10 times.
    I think what he was getting at is that it's a ridiculous way to say the same thing. It's longer to say, less accurate, and slightly more confusing to hear that way, thus being less effective. It is a rather silly way to say times.

Quarter to 6 is a phrase used by idiots to sound smarter than actual intelligent people that simply say 5:45.
    I like how people are randomly assholes for no reason, thinking people use it to sound smart. I have never heard that claim before.

Guess the previous generations were simply more hardcore.

If you need to believe that people can't read analog clocks as opposed to having no need for it in order to boost your own sense of superiority, I feel for you.
    You're still not as hardcore as the generation which had to learn how to ride a horse at the age of 4.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-12-09 at 12:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    This is kind of stupid but I generally agree, although if you struggle to read a fucking analog clock you are in some serious trouble later in life, yeah if you don't need it after you learned it please discard it, but at least make sure you do INDEED KNOW how how to do something before you decide.
    One can know they will never need to know how to do calculate integrals before learning how to do them. Likewise, one can know they will never need to learn how to read analog clocks before learning how as well. With phones being everywhere, there is no point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing someone got stumped by that for a while till they finally learned it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I like how people are randomly assholes for no reason, thinking people use it to sound smart. I have never heard that claim before.
    Probably late for something because he couldn't decipher such advanced and complicated code.

Quote Originally Posted by azarak View Post
    I think what he was getting at is that it's a ridiculous way to say the same thing. It's longer to say, less accurate, and slightly more confusing to hear that way, thus being less effective. It is a rather silly way to say times.
    I don't think it's confusing at all, it forms a normal part of language. Like for example someone might say "Oh I'll be there to pick you up at 10past" or "Meet up at Half Past 8" depending on the context and mutual understanding... It's just a normal part of language, and it's completely ingrained in society and culture such that it's less likely to hear someone using more exact time unless exact time is required.

And even then, it's not uncommon for someone to say "Two minutes to" for example.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Digital clock are shit!! When you look at a clock don't you feel like 6am to 12 am lasts a lot longer than 12am to 6 pm. When it rises there fighting gravity minutes feels likes hours, but after 12? It's the complete opposite hours feels like minutes, when it's just falling down.

They don't waste time teaching primary school kids how to read analog clocks any more. It's a useless anachronism that can be taught in seconds when the kid is a little older. If someone doesn't know how to read a clock, take a few seconds to teach them. The next generation is always smarter than the one that came before it, try not to cling to the handful of things you have over kids, it just makes the rest of us old people look pathetic by association.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    it could be blank..the arms give it away to me.

"Do kids know"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Do millenials know how read a clock face? Do they even teach that now?
    Most millenials are in their 20's and 30's, some late teens depending on how you define end years; they're not kids.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah your nephews and nieces are correct it's fucking annoying, I can read a analog clock and this has always been a dumb fucking answer even back then.
    Oh I'm sorry, you want me to change something that has been ingrained in me since I was a child and dozens of generations before used because you're an anal bastard? Nope.