10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Are you done? I dont see what that has anything to do with wanting a semi decent match making system in an ONLINE PVP GAME.
    He bitches, in a thread asking our personal experiences as we play the game, about our complaining that
    the system is fucking garbage, which it is.

*shrug*

As for me, now stuck in Silver, with the one good game negated by the bad games I get in a row.

Waiting for the OW League thing to end before I start doing the placement games... I kept getting put into US servers today.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

This is my first season where Ive had more losses than wins. Pretty aggravating. Can't figure out what the heck is going on as I'm still playing the same 3-5 characters over and over. Haven't really encountered many players that make me go "oh my god we got outplayed!" and most seem to be my team (whether someone else or me) making dumb plays.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyoneever gain 80 SR for a win? Pretty sure that's a new high for me. Was down to 2344 and after 1 win I went up to 2421. Apparently MMR thinks I play at a much higher level and these are the games I'm getting lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    This is my first season where Ive had more losses than wins. Pretty aggravating. Can't figure out what the heck is going on as I'm still playing the same 3-5 characters over and over. Haven't really encountered many players that make me go "oh my god we got outplayed!" and most seem to be my team (whether someone else or me) making dumb plays.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyoneever gain 80 SR for a win? Pretty sure that's a new high for me. Was down to 2344 and after 1 win I went up to 2421. Apparently MMR thinks I play at a much higher level and these are the games I'm getting lol.
    Only ever gained that kind of amount after a DC and 50SR penalty; since it doesn't change your internal MMR so a win right after will grant a lot more SR than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Only ever gained that kind of amount after a DC and 50SR penalty; since it doesn't change your internal MMR so a win right after will grant a lot more SR than usual.
    No DC's, just massive amounts of losses vs wins lately. Only thing I can think of is my MMR is actually pretty high compared to my SR. If that's true, then (not to sound like an asshole) I have actually been getting games with bad players and can't be given the old git gud excuse.
    Just found it strange because until this morning the most I ever gained from a win was around 40-50, and that was climbing thru kid Plat solo healing Mercy last season. This season it's mostly been 10-20 lost per game, but then that massive jump. Yet another reason I don't like Boizzard's approach to the system.

So posted earlier my former GM / M friend did my placements for a laugh a few weeks ago and I received 1700 for 9 wins 1 lose.

I've just done comp with him for his placements, 1 win, 1 draw 8 losses, 3400

This previous season effecting MMR bull shit needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    So posted earlier my former GM / M friend did my placements for a laugh a few weeks ago and I received 1700 for 9 wins 1 lose.

I agree with this. New season should be a fresh start. I know Blizz probably does it the current way to not have lopsided games at the start of each season, but it just doesn't seem right to have the placements mean practically nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    you really have to ask yourself why you care about your SR

people in masters and GM complain about retarded teammates just as much as any other rank. do you really expect matchmaking to get any better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I agree with this. New season should be a fresh start. I know Blizz probably does it the current way to not have lopsided games at the start of each season, but it just doesn't seem right to have the placements mean practically nothing.
    What makes you think 10 matches is going to suddenly drastically increase in skill?

Also, if it did reset, can you imagine how much bullshit there’d be when people pull the kind of stunt you did with your friend then can’t handle it at that level?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever created a smurf to see where you would place? I did that and it placed me 150 SR above where I was on my main account. The system is actually really accurate. Doing a hard reset every season wouldn't do much to change your place. You would eventually get put into the same SR as you were before. I'd rather have even games than having a random chance to get put with a GM or something on your team for placements.

People saying this really need to think about what would happen. Just because you think you're better than your SR doesn't mean you are. Look at your own play and make adjustments. Don't blame your teammates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I kinda don't mind it having a general idea of your SR across seasons (since your MMR is consistent across the whole game) but I really do it feels it weighs it way too heavily and I wish there was a way to fresh start.

So, just as an illustration, a personal anecdote: My spouse and I played a ton of comp together in, I think season 4. This was before they removed intentional streaking on wins/losses. Anyway, over the course of the weekend, we lost about a thousand SR because the losses kept snowballing. It was a variety of factors ranging from just being outplayed, to leavers, to whatever. We should have stopped queueing but we didn't, with each loss worth more and more until we ended up in low bronze.

I spent the next three weeks fighting my way back up to gold. He didn't have the time or patience, so he was in very few of these games and never made it back before the season ended.

Since then, every season, he has done placement games with me. All ten games we play together, and since then I have always ended up in high silver/low gold and he has placed low bronze every time. Now he never wants to play comp much after that because (a) low bronze games are miserable (b) he feels like he's "dragging me down." So he's basically never going to get a chance to fix it since it would require a huge time investment to do so.

He is objectively a better player than me, full stop. Prior to the loss streak, is placements were always like 300-400 SR higher than me which I think is fairly accurate. Neither of us are amazing but he's a decent player for sure. The streak snowballing really messed up the way the game views his MMR and since it is so far off now, he doesn't even have the motivation to try to re-convince the game where he probably should be.

Anyway, stupid CSB, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    people in masters and GM complain about retarded teammates just as much as any other rank. do you really expect matchmaking to get any better?
    I've queued across the four ranks at various points in time, and in my experience there definitely is a clear difference in rank and expectations. People in GM may be frustrated with their teammates, but their expectations are also GM-level, and they're encountering very different problems then the people who complain about teammates in bronze.

In my experience, in bronze and low silver, the problem with the "bad" players there isn't just lack of mechanical skill. It's often lack of familiarity with the game or the objectives or comp or even basic strategy. My experience there is the majority of games are twelve people out to do their own thing. The higher you get, the teamwork gets better, the familiarity with strategy and countering gets better, but obviously mechanical skill still isn't amazing and you still have lots of people who want to stick to their main regardless of whether it works in that game (I imagine that's a problem you encounter in almost every rank). Frustrations always exist but personally I know I'd rather play with someone with poor mechanical skill and bad aim than someone who seems to be oblivious to how the game even works.

People will complain about their teammates no matter what just because they are variables they can't control, but that doesn't mean the quality of games doesn't increase the better your rank is.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Placed my last account today. I used to use it to play with my diamond friends, until it eventually climbed too high to play with them. It placed 3920 last season, up from 3750ish season high in s5. This season it placed 4150.

Here's the deal with placements:
    You place higher or lower, based on your personal performance (so, NOT losses/wins). There is a limit to variance, though, so you can't go from 2000 to 4000 within a single season's placements. You're never going to place significantly higher or lower than the games you play in. So if were silver last season, and your games are against silver players, it's not going to place you in diamond. Similarly, if you're playing in GM games during your placements, it won't place you in plat. Your MMR DOES increase/decrease during these games, which is reflected in what kind of lobbies the matchmaker places you in. The better you perform, the more MMR you gain, and the higher lobbies you end up in, allowing you to place higher.

I guarantee you, I could do placements on a gold account, and I wouldn't get placed much higher than plat, despite sitting at 4400 on my main. I could also throw 10 games on a high GM account, and I would not place lower than mid-ish master.

Now that we have established how the current system works, I have a query for you:

Would you prefer being curbstomped every game you play because high SR players have to grind their way back every season? Would it be more enjoyable for you to have the possibility jumping 2 tiers from your placements, but all the games you play are solely decided on which team has more high skill players grinding their way back from the mmr reset? You're essentially forcing all accounts to become smurf accounts until the matchmaker calibrates their actual mmr.

Quote Originally Posted by Judic View Post
    Have you ever created a smurf to see where you would place? I did that and it placed me 150 SR above where I was on my main account. The system is actually really accurate. Doing a hard reset every season wouldn't do much to change your place. You would eventually get put into the same SR as you were before. I'd rather have even games than having a random chance to get put with a GM or something on your team for placements.

People saying this really need to think about what would happen. Just because you think you're better than your SR doesn't mean you are. Look at your own play and make adjustments. Don't blame your teammates.
    I didn't blame my team mates?

I blame a fair chunk of them don't get me wrong but I don't bash everyone in that elo the same as me, some are in the same boat as me after all.

I did exactly what you suggested (I sucked donkey dick in S1 because I got the game and went straight into comp) I looked at my own play, checked the metas, spent hours perfecting my top 5 champions before even touching comp. I made sure I had a healer, two tanks and two dps I could play good enough. My own performance has increased and increased since S1. Each season I look over what I did, how I could of been better, which champions I should change to.

My QP games mostly consist of grouping with (now) plat and masters players, could say it was try harding I call it comp practise. Everything from comp to voice chat.

I agree most people who say they are better than their SR aren't. But hand on heart I am. I have no issue in calling myself out if I suck.

Going back to team mates, what is your SR? Have you played below 2k? It's the more toxic and cancerous game environment I've ever seen, it makes League look like a kindergarden. I promise you, 9/10 Genji, Hanzo and WM are instant locked regardless the game mode. Theres no voice chat, there's no grouping up, it's all solo charging heroes. Usually its a lucky ult or a few kills right on the start that dictate the game. Honestly, I'm pretty sure most people lose because the moment an attempt fails everyone is at each others throats.

As for smurfing, no I haven't for two reasons.

1) You'll get paired against brand new players who haven't got a clue what to do. It's basically taking a shit on them and it isn't fun.
    2) Smurfs in my general experience have been really high ranked players, thus you get shat on.

I'm really quite against smurfs

Maybe a hard reset isn't the way forward. I have no issue being paired with people as it is currently. My issue is the end result is more or less the same regardless how you've done. Going back to my little shindig, last season finished on 1700 then got 9 wins 1 loss, as mercy and got placed at 1701. Personal weighing should come more into it.

Like I said (without this being any more long winded) I'm better than my current SR, I'm not the best, but I'm by far not the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yeah, I kinda don't mind it having a general idea of your SR across seasons (since your MMR is consistent across the whole game) but I really do it feels it weighs it way too heavily and I wish there was a way to fresh start.

So, just as an illustration, a personal anecdote: My spouse and I played a ton of comp together in, I think season 4. This was before they removed intentional streaking on wins/losses. Anyway, over the course of the weekend, we lost about a thousand SR because the losses kept snowballing. It was a variety of factors ranging from just being outplayed, to leavers, to whatever. We should have stopped queueing but we didn't, with each loss worth more and more until we ended up in low bronze.

I spent the next three weeks fighting my way back up to gold. He didn't have the time or patience, so he was in very few of these games and never made it back before the season ended.

Since then, every season, he has done placement games with me. All ten games we play together, and since then I have always ended up in high silver/low gold and he has placed low bronze every time. Now he never wants to play comp much after that because (a) low bronze games are miserable (b) he feels like he's "dragging me down." So he's basically never going to get a chance to fix it since it would require a huge time investment to do so.

He is objectively a better player than me, full stop. Prior to the loss streak, is placements were always like 300-400 SR higher than me which I think is fairly accurate. Neither of us are amazing but he's a decent player for sure. The streak snowballing really messed up the way the game views his MMR and since it is so far off now, he doesn't even have the motivation to try to re-convince the game where he probably should be.

Anyway, stupid CSB, I know.
    Exactly, it's ridiculous. I'd imagine he's like me, trying to climb isn't an issue it's just the mentality of others in these elo is horrendous and make it near impossible to climb. You can't even stay as a team from a win either. The odds are if you do, you'll go against another premade and in my experience it's usually a proper premade not one thrown togeather after 1 win.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainedtbh View Post

Now that we have established how the current system works, I have a query for you:

Would you prefer being curbstomped every game you play because high SR players have to grind their way back every season? Would it be more enjoyable for you to have the possibility jumping 2 tiers from your placements, but all the games you play are solely decided on which team has more high skill players grinding their way back from the mmr reset? You're essentially forcing all accounts to become smurf accounts until the matchmaker calibrates their actual mmr.
    Easy, yes. My mate didn't play last season so he said fuck it and we did his placements. This let me que with him. We got a mix, but most games had 3 diamond players on either side. And I friken loved it. Most games we took losses but some games we won. Everyone talked and worked together in voice chat. Those games before he placed - regardless most were losses - have been the most fun games I've played in comp.

I don't care about winning or losing, I care about having a good game and you don't get that where I am now

I'm not asking to go from silver to plat, I'm asking for a more fair placement. And I'm aware of how the system works in regards to personal performance (again, a masters playing my 10 placements and not getting a higher rank at all than I did last season)

And breathe

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    What makes you think 10 matches is going to suddenly drastically increase in skill?

Also, if it did reset, can you imagine how much bullshit there’d be when people pull the kind of stunt you did with your friend then can’t handle it at that level?
    First off, I did no such thing with anyone, I replied to a post from someone who did so that and stated I agree with him about placements not meaning anything.
    As to the first part, it can greatly impact your placement, or not at all. First: it has the benefit to punish people that leave games more, as some people just leave a game to get a 10 minute to a few hour ban simply because placements DON'T mean anything. I know I've thought about leaving a losing match just to avoid playing another 5-15 minutes that you know is a loss, and in that time ban I can go do other things.
    Second: it's a new season. New should imply that everything starts over, not be carried over. If they are going to carry over stats and place you pretty much where you ended, then placements shouldn't even exist except for people who have never played comp? This means that comp is nothing more than a time waste. You are playing 10 matches that act like a comp match but don't actually count to season stats.
    Third: we aren't talking about a drastic change in skill. We are discussing a fresh start to a new season. Going close to points 1 & 2, if I finish a season at 2730, and I'm guaranteed to be within 100 SR of that after placements regardless, then what is the point of actually trying? These games, in essence, become the same thing as QP. Sure, your MMR might take a hit at the beginning, but we already know that once your "real" games start it will adjust quickly based on skill, then there is almost no point to having placement matches. ESPECIALLY when your placement is not so much based off of how you played those 10 games but how you finished the previous season.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...9648155#post-1

>Removing Personal Performance Skill Rating Adjustments for Diamond tier players and above

Thank the lord.

- - - Updated - - -

In my experience, in bronze and low silver, the problem with the "bad" players there isn't just lack of mechanical skill. It's often lack of familiarity with the game or the objectives or comp or even basic strategy. My experience there is the majority of games are twelve people out to do their own thing. The higher you get, the teamwork gets better, the familiarity with strategy and countering gets better, but obviously mechanical skill still isn't amazing and you still have lots of people who want to stick to their main regardless of whether it works in that game (I imagine that's a problem you encounter in almost every rank). Frustrations always exist but personally I know I'd rather play with someone with poor mechanical skill and bad aim than someone who seems to be oblivious to how the game even works.
    I haven't read all the answers to this so maybe I'm jumping into something that's already been talked about but I do believe people at Bronze/Silver do lack significantly in the raw mechanical skill department, you can generally tell this is the case from things like hero stats but I'm actually speaking from some experience here playing at a friend's place.

People lack strategy, game sense and such at anywhere from gold up all the way to maybe even Masters, but I 100% believe if you have good aim and movement and some very basic map knowledge you will not get stuck in Bronze, ever.

Also there is a huge difference in skill between players in GM, it could almost be tiered by itself because the gap between low GM and consistent top 500 GM is probably almost as big as something like Gold to Masters or Diamond, if I get queued up with a bunch Top 500 players and I'm the only lower ranked GM I better strap up and pick Mercy because I'm getting fucked all game.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How could they ever think that only applying this to Diamond was the smart choice? This essentially just turned Plat and lower into quickplay. Fuck my life.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    He bitches, in a thread asking our personal experiences as we play the game, about our complaining that
    the system is fucking garbage, which it is.

*shrug*

As for me, now stuck in Silver, with the one good game negated by the bad games I get in a row.
    Saying it's the systems fault that you're silver? Maybe start playing better? Silver is ezpz to get out of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheee back on the reset cycle. Last couple of days have been absolutely shite. Down from 2430 to 2130 from 12 net losses. Over half of those losses were a result of people throwing. I've reported more people in the last 3 days then I have the last 3 weeks. Just what the fuck is up with people right now? Especially all the two stacks that are queueing up as double DPS, and of course won't switch and nor will the other DPS so we go in 1-4-1 at best, with a Moira that won't heal. Of course 3 of the DPS are whining for extra healers and tanks, but obviously can't be the difference.

Fucking sick of Moira as well. Absolute coin toss whether they're going to heal or not regardless of the setup. If they don't heal, they then complain that we're losing and they have all the medals for damage, of course because everyone is fucking dead because they won't heal.

Oh, of course as you slip back towards 2.1k, you're still facing 2,9k Plats queued with a silver, but your team can't handle them anymore. Who the fuck came up with that switch in limitation needs to actually play the game.

On the plus side, won the last game. Someone picked Bastion, and being tilted I just said 'Don't'; Mercy then chimes in and says 'No D.Va', so I went Widow, instilling much panic. Anyway, first shot killed Mercy, second and third killed Junkrat, to which the enemy team just said 'GG' in chat, as we rolled in and took the 30% we needed.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-12-09 at 12:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    How could they ever think that only applying this to Diamond was the smart choice? This essentially just turned Plat and lower into quickplay. Fuck my life.
    Exactly. It should be for every single rank, not just Diamond and above.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Saying it's the systems fault that you're silver? Maybe start playing better? Silver is ezpz to get out of.
    Yeah, it is. System kept throwing me on a losing streak from 2100-1800s. And like with Gold, its been
    a fucking bitch TRYING to even get out of Silver because for every match I join with a competent team,
    I get into a game with one that isn't, and the fucking system keeps ping ponging me back and forth with
    wins and losses so I NEVER get out.

It has nothing to do with playing better. I play just fine, as previous seasons have shown. Unfortunately,
    the game has a raging boner with fucking me over and it has zero interest in quitting doing so. I literally
    have no explanation for why I keep deranking so significantly and being stuck in the ELO of that area.
    I'm not getting worse at the game, the game for whatever reason, is getting WORSE at who it pairs me
    with.

That's the problem.

And so based on my luck, no, Silver is not "ezpz" to get out of. Not at the rate this system keeps fucking
    me over by.

So *was* stuck at the 1800's, then got into another losing streak that refused to quit, so
    now I dropped from 1868 all the way to 1668 before getting a win streak (by that being 2
    games) to at least hit 1715.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2017-12-09 at 09:21 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Exactly. It should be for every single rank, not just Diamond and above.

Yeah, it is. System kept throwing me on a losing streak from 2100-1800s. And like with Gold, its been
    a fucking bitch TRYING to even get out of Silver because for every match I join with a competent team,
    I get into a game with one that isn't, and the fucking system keeps ping ponging me back and forth with
    wins and losses so I NEVER get out.

It has nothing to do with playing better. I play just fine, as previous seasons have shown. Unfortunately,
    the game has a raging boner with fucking me over and it has zero interest in quitting doing so. I literally
    have no explanation for why I keep deranking so significantly and being stuck in the ELO of that area.
    I'm not getting worse at the game, the game for whatever reason, is getting WORSE at who it pairs me
    with.

That's the problem.

And so based on my luck, no, Silver is not "ezpz" to get out of. Not at the rate this system keeps fucking
    me over by.

So *was* stuck at the 1800's, then got into another losing streak that refused to quit, so
    now I dropped from 1868 all the way to 1668 before getting a win streak (by that being 2
    games) to at least hit 1715.
    I went from Silver to Platinum solo queue,getting out of Silver ain't hard.
    Also switched main at 2.6k SR and went down to 2k SR and now i switched back to my old main to get back up to Platinum and went from 2098SR to 2400SR just yesterday.

I also blame the system when im mad,but in the end of the day you'll realize that it's not the system but you.
    It's just to hang in there,get better and learn how to "carry" some of the games by picking the right target,get the 1-2 kills before rushing point and make a difference.
    You must gain control over your gold or the lack of it will forever control you.