Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Iraq declares victory in war against ISIS

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/12...inst-isis.html

Iraq declared its war against the Islamic State was over after more than three years of combat operations drove extremist fighters from all of the territories they once held.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced Iraqi forces were in full control of the country’s border with Syria during remarks at a conference in Baghdad, and his spokesman said the development marked the end of the military fight against ISIS.

A senior military commander confirmed to The Associated Press that combat operations had been completed.

TRUMP, MATTIS TURN MILITARY LOOSE ON ISIS, LEAVING TERROR CALIPHATE IN TATTERS

"All Iraqi lands are liberated from terrorist Daesh (acronym of the group’s full Arabic name) gangs and our forces completely control the international Iraqi-Syrian border," Lt. Gen. Abdul-Amir Rasheed Yar Allah said in a statement released shortly after al-Abadi's remarks.

The declaration comes two days after the Russian military announced it defeated the terror group in Syria, its ally, the BBC reported.

The jihadi group overran nearly a third of Iraqi territory, including Mosul, the country’s second-largest city, in the summer of 2014. ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi called it a new Islamic caliphate.

It was not immediately clear if the ISIS leader is still alive or dead. Reuters reported al-Baghdadi released a recording on Sept. 28 reporting he was alive.

TRUMP’S JERUSALEM DECISION COULD INCITE EXTREMISTS, IRAQ WARNS

ISIS started losing its land over the past three and a half years after Iraqi ground forces – backed by a U.S.-led coalition – fought to retake its territory. However, ISIS fighters remained capable of carrying out insurgent attacks in Iraq, and the group has recovered from past setbacks.

In November, Iraqi forces retook the last town held by ISIS – Rawah, near the border with Syria. Over the following weeks, Iraqi forces continued to clear patches of the country’s vast western deserts.

In the most significant victory over the extremists, Iraqi forces retook Mosul earlier this year. Al-Abadi declared the fight concluded in July, but clashes continued in the city for weeks afterward.

Officials believed some ISIS fighters fled to Syria and Turkey.

Now the country would have to reconstruct the devastation done after years of fighting that left some 3 million Iraqis displaced.
    Admittedly, I haven't had much respect for the Iraqi military, my experiences with them were that they are sub-standard, unmotivated, and cowardly. Perhaps they have changed a bit since working with them in 2009, either way Kudos to the Iraqi military for working hard to reclaim their country.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They could never have done it Tony without the US's help. Just another winning point for Trump.

They are indeed known for running away from fights against isis leaving weapons and equipment behind for isis to grab then the kurds had to clean up the mess instead. And abit early to claim victory something they will probably feel soon.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-12-09 at 03:48 PM.

Deleted
    I guess the other thread about defeating ISIS didn't garner enough attention.

Will tomorrow be the Russian declaration of winning against them?

Bush and Obama couldn't do it in 16 years.
    Trump did it in less than a year.

Glad I voted him !
    Cannot wait after we win World War 3.

cut off one head. two more will take it's place.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't really over. They might have scurried off, but they will come crawling back in some fashion. Better to hunt them all and eradicate them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    They could never have done it Tony without the US's help. Just another winning point for Trump.
    we've helped tremendously, but we shouldn't minimalize their sacrifices, it's been the Iraqi Army doing the majority of the ground work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Guess they are just like you then.

Anyway thanks for another bait thread.
    Awww shucks, being called cowardly by a Dane? Lol, the irony is thicker than neutronium.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    They are indeed known for running away from fights against isis leaving weapons and equipment behind for isis to grab then the kurds had to clean up the mess instead. And abit early to claim victory something they will probably feel soon.
    It's been that way in the past for sure, my experiences working with the IA haven't lead me to have much confidence in their abilities, but perhaps things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Lol, the irony is thicker than neutronium.
    You should stick with things you know, like pewpewguns and murica.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I guess the other thread about defeating ISIS didn't garner enough attention.

Will tomorrow be the Russian declaration of winning against them?
    This story is focused more on the Iraqi Military and the work they've done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    You should stick with things you know, like pewpewguns and murica.
    Lol, I am multi-talented.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Bush and Obama couldn't do it in 16 years.
    I'm not sure I (anyone?) follows, are you suggesting ISIS were around in 2001, or that Trump has defeated all terrorism now? Or something else altogether?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I'm not sure I (anyone?) follows, are you suggesting ISIS were around in 2001, or that Trump has defeated all terrorism now? Or something else altogether?
    Trump just poured millions of his fake teeth and hair down into the caves to suffocate all of 'm.

Deleted
    This story is focused more on the Iraqi Military and the work they've done.
    Uh huh, and you didn't feel an existing thread on the topic was worthy of such inclusion? It was even your very own one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    The Iraq war was a cover-up to fight ISIS, duh?

we've helped tremendously, but we shouldn't minimalize their sacrifices, it's been the Iraqi Army doing the majority of the ground work.

- - - Updated - - -

Awww shucks, being called cowardly by a Dane? Lol, the irony is thicker than neutronium.

- - - Updated - - -

It's been that way in the past for sure, my experiences working with the IA haven't lead me to have much confidence in their abilities, but perhaps things have changed.
    With all the shit ton of help and training they have gotten they better have improved lol, dont think its a lost case as with the afgan army for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It isn't really over. They might have scurried off, but they will come crawling back in some fashion. Better to hunt them all and eradicate them all.
    Agreed! 10char

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Trump just poured millions of his fake teeth and hair down into the caves to suffocate all of 'm.
    You told Trump with that one Hanablossom, Trump will never recover from that burn!

- - - Updated - - -

With all the shit ton of help and training they have gotten they better have improved lol, dont think its a lost case as with the afgan army for example.
    For sure, although their is a much different culture between the two peoples.

You're my kind of Swede ParanoiD84, can we be friends?

Agreed! 10char

- - - Updated - - -

You told Trump with that one Hanablossom, Trump will never recover from that burn!

- - - Updated - - -

For sure, although their is a much different culture between the two peoples.

You're my kind of Swede ParanoiD84, can we be friends?
    Of course we can

Of course we can
    Hells yeah, we can listen to manawar and rock out!

you got a sister? what's up?

I don't think it's over.

Just saying here that the OP at least pretends ''to have experience with the Iraqi army'' and leaves delightful comments on how they are sub-par and cowardly.

Yeah, that happens a lot. Inexplicably, the ARVN was plagued with low morale and desertion despite lots and lots of American advisors making clear how they scorned their charges. Even more inexplicably, such problems were absent in the PAVN...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully it's not another one of these....