Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Why wouldn't they? There are analog clocks everywhere.
    Most watches are still analog, clock towers in cities are too, clocks at public transport stations etc.

And digital clocks have been around since the 1980's or something, right? Maybe even before that?
    this, never met someone who can't read the time on any clock :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Your niece and nephew aren't millennials.
    I subscribe to the theory that they don't actually exist.

Even if some of them can't, it's not like they can't learn it, they just don't need it. Extraneous information stops being taught to the next generation all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Do millenials know how read a clock face? Do they even teach that now?

Yes, actual millenials should know that (because the 'millenial' term is a wide spread of ages). It is taught in most normal schools after all.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by tkioz View Post
    That's a really stupid comparison actually. It's been shown that teaching young children with abacus really improves their math skills.
    And yet the overwhelming majority of children, I'd argue over 99%, have no idea how to use it and do math just fine. And those who don't their failures certainly aren't tied or even remotely related to a lack of abacus. I somehow made it all the way up to calc II and graduate level statistics and the closest thing I ever got to was a children's toy I remember that vaguely resembled an abacus that was never used to do actual math.

You'd maybe have any kind of a point of the abacus was the singular or even an important part of teaching math. It's not. It hasn't been. And it probably wont ever be again. I'd love to see your study because I doubt even it claims that. Just like the analog clock isn't critical for telling time, or the candle isn't critical for lighting your home any more and any and all knowledge of the two aren't lynch pins to be a functioning adult since you could totally remove the analog clock and exact nothing except watch faces aka fashion would change.

There's positive gains to analog clocks with regards to math. Helps teach some basic multiplication and fractions. But take it away and people won't magically be unable to learn how to multiply by 5 or understand fractions like half and quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Even if some of them can't, it's not like they can't learn it, they just don't need it. Extraneous information stops being taught to the next generation all the time.
    Exactly. There's a reason why most of us have no knowledge of horses and how to take care of one. And yet magically it used to be the main mode of transportation beyond your own damn feet.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2017-12-09 at 03:48 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted

You're aware kids aren't milenials right?

Millennial can be up to like 35 years old, hardly "kids". As a millennial yes I can read analog clocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsoldier06 View Post
    Even I was never taught how, I mean I'm not sure what the gap is to be considered a 'millenial'. I'm 23 but I learned how to use an analog clock on my own. As well with tying shoes. School never taught any of it.
    This basically ^. they don't teach real life shit in schools anyway.

Why are we asking if kids can use outdated technology?

May as well teach them how to use an abacus, or shoe a horse, or navigate by the position of the stars in the sky.

Kids only know what we teach them. If you want to spend time teaching them things that may not be necessary that's your business.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2017-12-11 at 06:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Why are we asking if kids can use outdated technology?

May as well teach them how to use an abacus, or shoe a horse, or navigate by the position of the stars in the sky.

Kids only know what we teach them. If you want to spend time teaching them things that may not be necessary that's your business.
    Outdated to whom?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Millennials are pretty fucking stupid, sooo......
    As a Millennial, I can say our generation is trash.

Can't wait for the safe-space feeling generation starts having power in government.

Hopefully a meteor hits the planet before then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who the hell doesn't know how to read a clock? You would have to be retarded to not know how.

Well, at least half of the clocks I see on the streets have analog face, so I suppose it's still needed.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Outdated to whom?
    To anyone with a mobile device that displays the time..

I could ask people today if they can tell time by the position of the sun in the sky, but why bother if we have watches and phones. it's the same for analog clocks.

I could also ask if people nowadays know how to set a VCR, but why bother?
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2017-12-11 at 06:54 PM.

Deleted
    To anyone with a mobile device that displays the time..

I could ask people today if they can tell time by the position of the sun in the sky, but why bother if we have watches and phones. it's the same for analog clocks.

I could also ask if people nowadays know how to set a VCR, but why bother?
    Sounds more like laziness

Yes, they still teach kids how to read clocks like this in school. At least they do in the district my kids go to.

Sounds more like laziness
    Maybe, but I tend to think of it as adapting to the current technology. I'm sure there is a ton of things that older generations know how to use that we don't, and we know things that they have not bothered to learn.

I mean how many times has an older person asked how to use a computer or even access / use a simple program?

Field Marshal I Cannot Fap To That's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I meet adults that cannot read analog clocks. What is your point?

Deleted
    Maybe, but I tend to think of it as adapting to the current technology. I'm sure there is a ton of things that older generations know how to use that we don't, and we know things that they have not bothered to learn.
    But analog is still popular

But analog is still popular
    Yes for now, we are discussing the newer generation. And as others have stated most people can read an analog clock. But even if people can't in the future or even in someone can't do it currently, what is the big deal?

It just takes one generation for things to change, just like the switch from using VCRs.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2017-12-11 at 07:07 PM.