Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Returning Player, Xylem Challenge

Returning player here. Brief history - I quit right when broken shore released, and I just came back a week or so ago and rolled a new horde DH with my friends. I've pretty much been catching up on everything since the point I quite: broken shore, flying, argus, etc. I was raiding Mythic Nighthold on my alliance DH when I took my break.

I really want the challenge appearance for Havoc, but I don't want to waste my time if I'm not ready. I've looked at all kinds of guides, and most of them call for survival legendaries like Prydaz or Achor, and Anger for second pahse. Seeing as my toon is new, I don't have these. All I have is Raddon's. Simple question is, can I beat the challenge with what I have: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...-dream/ilanis?

I know my way around DH pretty well, and the Mage Tower just popped today on ED. Would I be wasting my time trying, or are my chances good?

It's not a dps check until the last phase. I did it the first time mage tower was out running demonic and fel eruption at 897 ilvl. The biggest thing for me was always bringing him back to the middle after he teleported because it's much easier to get to his shimmer in shadow phase that way. Once you get the timings down of when to drop stun/eyebeam you shouldn't have any health problems at all even with one legendary.
    I will say that anything above 910 ilvl will probably make the encounter faceroll.

Deleted
    If made it with 892. but 2 legendaries & optimized gear. I think it‘s worth a shot.
    Phase 1 is learning.
    Phase 2 is dps.

You can do it now but go gear up on argus and m+ for a few days. The challenge isn't going anywhere and you'll save some time.

Like everyone else said, it's not really any dps check until p2. Regardless of your gear you're going to have a learning curve on p1 before you get the pattern down. Though having gear would push you out of p1 faster meaning not as many shimmer phases. I did it with about 892 or so I'll I think, Raddons and anger first phase, anger and belt 2nd phase. Bring tomes so you can go cb spec in p2. (Short moment of combat drop)

Quote Originally Posted by fent View Post
    Returning player here. Brief history - I quit right when broken shore released, and I just came back a week or so ago and rolled a new horde DH with my friends. I've pretty much been catching up on everything since the point I quite: broken shore, flying, argus, etc. I was raiding Mythic Nighthold on my alliance DH when I took my break.

I really want the challenge appearance for Havoc, but I don't want to waste my time if I'm not ready. I've looked at all kinds of guides, and most of them call for survival legendaries like Prydaz or Achor, and Anger for second pahse. Seeing as my toon is new, I don't have these. All I have is Raddon's. Simple question is, can I beat the challenge with what I have: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...-dream/ilanis?

I know my way around DH pretty well, and the Mage Tower just popped today on ED. Would I be wasting my time trying, or are my chances good?
    Rly dont waste time until u get some gear . I done it on my war today with 930 ilvl and he done only 1 blinkingf phase and split in p1 and in p2 he died after 2nd spawn of adds.u save yourself alot of time if u gear up unless u wanna feel our pain we had months ago but i for one i advise you not to go with low ilvl

You should be fine after some practice on the fight. I did it at 891 ilvl months ago the 2nd time mage tower came around. DHs have it super easy on this fight compared to frost DK. Phase 1 is pretty easy once you get a good feel for it. The only dps legendary I had at the time was the KJ trinket and fell rush boots, which helped deal with adds in phase 2. You don't need survival legendaries, just need to time interrupts correctly. Being able to swap talents between phase 1 & 2 helps also.

Thanks for all the advice guys. As I type this, I just completed the challenge not 10 minutes ago. I got it on pull 29. That hardest part was figuring out the clone phase. I would silence his first one, but on the second one I figured out if I started from the center, I could double dash to him to ignore the phase. After that, I had to practice second phase. I got greedy on pull 28 and thought I could DPS him down before the second set of shadows, but I couldn't and wiped. Pull 29 went smooth as butter, and I have my new warglaives now!

Quote Originally Posted by Goon84 View Post
    You should be fine after some practice on the fight. I did it at 891 ilvl months ago the 2nd time mage tower came around. DHs have it super easy on this fight compared to frost DK. Phase 1 is pretty easy once you get a good feel for it. The only dps legendary I had at the time was the KJ trinket and fell rush boots, which helped deal with adds in phase 2. You don't need survival legendaries, just need to time interrupts correctly. Being able to swap talents between phase 1 & 2 helps also.
    You ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

i havnt touched it since i was 901 ilvl got real close a couple of times. Got to try it again i would be pretty embarrassed if i couldnt get it at 935

Make sure to get the DBM-Challenge add on. It will tell you when arcane phase is coming, and I can guarantee you that getting a bad shimmer spawn will be the vast majority of your wipes. So position wisely close to middle.

I also can't stress enough how important it is to rotate spell interrupt+fel eruption+imprison to reduce your damage intake, because even with Prydaz at ilv903 when I did it months ago, the guy really hurts and if you don't get lucky with soul spawns with demonic appetite, the fight sucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kramjam View Post
    i havnt touched it since i was 901 ilvl got real close a couple of times. Got to try it again i would be pretty embarrassed if i couldnt get it at 935
    The challenge has been up with 7.3 (Xylem has around 160m now and was at 116m before i think)

The nether crucible completely trivializes the fight. I did it at 899 on my frost DK alt just two days ago. Frost DK is even easier than DH because a single wraith walk takes you to him and rune shield blocks any damage in darkness phase. Death Grip allows you to always position him close to center. Use frost scythe as frost DK and ice prisons are trivial and you just use death strike back on Xylem.

The key is to hold your cleave for important moments. Don't use eyebeam until ice prizon comes up, interrupt every frost phase cast when you can, but save interrupts during arcane phase to at least have one up for every draw power.

Save imprison for after his blink during arcane phase, and after the second draw power use your interrupt to drag him to center or at least position yourself near center to VR>FRx2 to him.

For final phase, save your fury of the illidari, eyebeam, and chaos nova for the adds, and spec bloodlet with snare on throw glaive when you drop out of combat during intermission. The boss can be easily killed with the power creep of nether crucible while saving your powerful cleave for adds.

Use eyebeam or chaos nova on frozen prison to heal up and load up on fury from soul fragments to dump onto Xylem.

It's all about correctly keeping him controlled and positioning yourself in preparation for his darkness phase. If you're using eyebeam during frost phase on anything but prison and your chaos nova is on cd, you are doing it wrong.

ALWAYS load up on fury before peeling away to do the adds on final phase, you want to have fury to start dumping on them right away.

Cooldown management and usage makes and breaks this fight. You can't just expect to vomit cd's trying to zerg him and come out with a win unless you vastly outgear the fight.
    Last edited by Lucrece; 2017-12-09 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daille View Post
    The challenge has been up with 7.3 (Xylem has around 160m now and was at 116m before i think)
    I don't think they changed the HP and damage of mobs in the challenges; it's just that different classes get different health pools. Last mage tower, I got Feral druid, Fire mage, and Fury warrior, all of which share the same challenge, and the Imp Mother's health pool was 85M, 91M and 120M respectively.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    I don't think they changed the HP and damage of mobs in the challenges; it's just that different classes get different health pools. Last mage tower, I got Feral druid, Fire mage, and Fury warrior, all of which share the same challenge, and the Imp Mother's health pool was 85M, 91M and 120M respectively.
    Looks like it does. If you look at this vid from 8 months ago, back when it was actually a challenge, you'll see this FDK's Xylem had 116.8M HP. Was watching Asmonbald blindly 1 shot the challenge with his 940 ilvl FDK this week, and Xylem had 160M HP.

https://youtu.be/XGsZfqobs2k?t=34
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Looks like it does. If you look at this vid from 8 months ago, back when it was actually a challenge, you'll see this FDK's Xylem had 116.8M HP. Was watching Asmonbald blindly 1 shot the challenge with his 940 ilvl FDK this week, and Xylem had 160M HP.

Not sure it was blind since he did it on Arms Warrior, same challenge there. After DH I one-shot it with AWar, 920. The reflexes stay with you forever.

Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    Not sure it was blind since he did it on Arms Warrior, same challenge there. After DH I one-shot it with AWar, 920. The reflexes stay with you forever.
    This guy's got you beat. Also when I did the Xylem challenge on my Arms warrior, I can confirm he did have 160M hp. Warrior had a 908 ilvl at the time, so if the bosses did scale with ilvl I would have had a MUCH lower HP boss than Asmon. Also, of my three characters that have completed the Imp Mother challenge, my Druid is by far the best geared - over 930 ilvl while my warrior is now ~915 in fury as is my Fire Mage - and yet had the smallest health boss. The challenges are tuned for spec and not gear, because blizzard specifically said they would be hard if your gear was bad, but would get easier as you had more gear. The mob and boss health is static and does not scale.

EDIT: But hey if you want proof, I still have several specs that share challenges so I'll prove it next mage tower with screenshots.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2017-12-09 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy's got you beat. Also when I did the Xylem challenge on my Arms warrior, I can confirm he did have 160M hp. Warrior had a 908 ilvl at the time, so if the bosses did scale with ilvl I would have had a MUCH lower HP boss than Asmon. Also, of my three characters that have completed the Imp Mother challenge, my Druid is by far the best geared - over 930 ilvl while my warrior is now ~915 in fury as is my Fire Mage - and yet had the smallest health boss. The challenges are tuned for spec and not gear, because blizzard specifically said they would be hard if your gear was bad, but would get easier as you had more gear. The mob and boss health is static and does not scale.

EDIT: But hey if you want proof, I still have several specs that share challenges so I'll prove it next mage tower with screenshots.
    Why are you comparing different classes? You have to compare SAME specs to each other. Every spec has the fight tuned to that particular spec. So you can't judge HP on a Warrior than come in on your DK and note that it's different.

The video I linked is of a lower ilvl DK showing boss at 116M and the one that Asmon did this week ALSO ON HIS FDK the boss had 160M. So it either scales with ilvl or Blizz static buffs them after each patch release.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Why are you comparing different classes? You have to compare SAME specs to each other. Every spec has the fight tuned to that particular spec. So you can't judge HP on a Warrior than come in on your DK and note that it's different.

The video I linked is of a lower ilvl DK showing boss at 116M and the one that Asmon did this week ALSO ON HIS FDK the boss had 160M. So it either scales with ilvl or Blizz static buffs them after each patch release.
    Provide proof of bolded part.

Did it with 914 ilvl and random gear(some had haste, vers etc) with worst legendaries(well, not worsts but boots and waist) but I followed the instructions from:
    http://www.wowhead.com/havoc-demon-h...fact-challenge

The most important thing for me was changing talents in the phase between Xylem and boss.

Provide proof of bolded part.
    Maybe I don't have the source - but he had 160 mln for real when I was fighting with him. Didn't do any screenshots, but you have to believe my words(and his).

EDIT:
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=115244/archmage-xylem
    Health: 160,575,744
    Last edited by Eazy; 2017-12-10 at 10:25 AM.