Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    However you want to paint it, history is full of examples of might makes right. If you have the most powerful conventional army in the world, you can’t turn around and tell your citizenry they cannot own conventional weapons without raising eyebrows. I see America’s gun culture as a natural response of the citizenry to the military.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    However you want to paint it, history is full of examples of might makes right. If you have the most powerful conventional army in the world, you can’t turn around and tell your citizenry they cannot own conventional weapons without raising eyebrows. I see America’s gun culture as a natural response of the citizenry to the military.
    Probably a good point.

Lot of former military guys get out with pretty hardcore gun obsessions...lot don't but some do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    What it really comes down to is this...If you allow the conflict to escalate to the point of a shooting battle with your government....then you done fucked up aa-ron. You are just letting the conflict enter an arena that the government is entirely better prepared to operate and persevere in that you could ever be.

- - - Updated - - -

'plenty of' you keep saying this like its just instantly true

'relatively successful' EXACTLY relative to an actual force that could win. as in, 'they did ok for a while, before they lost horribly'
    The Insurgency in Iraq was effective for years until the internal sectarian fighting had them fighting eachother. The Afghan insurgencies are still effective, hell we can even look to the failed Israeli actions in Lebanon in the last decade as another example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    But what examples ? Of people just armed with small firearms ?

The Viet-Minh won at Dien Bien Phu because they had 105 mm guns, not rifles...

- - - Updated - - -

It might have not occurred to you, but jungles and Afghan mountains are more suitable locations than ''next to the Walmart''
    The majority of fighting in the U.S. wouldn't be in open fields, but urban jungles where fighters can attack and melt into the environment. Theres a reason why U.S. soldiers didn't like going into the cities and fighting.

Do you realize even with confusion that those insurgencies are not made of random people firing their guns ?

They have heavy weapons. They have foreign support. They have foreign supply lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    The Insurgency in Iraq was effective for years until the internal sectarian fighting had them fighting eachother. The Afghan insurgencies are still effective, hell we can even look to the failed Israeli actions in Lebanon in the last decade as another example.

- - - Updated - - -

The majority of fighting in the U.S. wouldn't be in open fields, but urban jungles where fighters can attack and melt into the environment. Theres a reason why U.S. soldiers didn't like going into the cities and fighting.
    Yeah, sure, American inner cities are the place most favorable to alleged patriot militias. SURE

10+ Year Old Account
    This is probably better off in the gun control megathread

Closing