Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    We went from 800 item level dungeon gear to 985 raid gear. In BC we went from 100 level dungeon gear to 164 SWP gear. A rather large difference. Even more so when you factor that SWP gear would carry over and last into the first raid tier of the next expansion and now they inflate item levels between final raids to the next set in the following expansion to stop that.
    But here's the thing, itemlevel is at the end of the day all relative.
    Just because SWP gear wasn't that much higher than BT gear doesn't mean that SWP gear wasn't an upgrade of the same caliber N>H>M is

Unless for some reason you think that you weren't roadblocked by gear with such minor il differences.

As I said before, the only issue with the il is that things go into the loony category pretty quickly, so they are amending it for that purpose. Millions of dps isn't really good for number based systems.

Even with them doing the stat squish until they do something about the big jump each raid tier thanks to so many difficulties giving different item levels we will keep going around in this circle.
    And?
    It's not like they're not familiar with the tech to squish and scale by now. They can't exactly remove progression from the game to avoid triggering some people hinging their mental welfare on these things...

The game no longer has 1 raid difficulty, that's just a fact. Every player wants a sense of progression, meaning there will be bigger leaps in item levels. Titanforging being decreased from old content in BfA is hopefully a guarantee though...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-12-09 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShmooDude View Post
    So you're looking at more like an 7.5-8% increase between difficulties (less if you redistribute based on all the dungeons at the top, which I believe would more match the current expansion). It's simply not enough at that point to make much of a difference.
    Well, I meant 350k in pre raid bis, but that doesn't really change the point, 8% increase in between difficulties actually sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they're doing regular resets power inflation is more of a perceptual problem than anything else. I'm not a huge fan of how they define progression/power to start with but there's very definitely a strong tension between inflating power at one end of the scale that feels like too much over a long period of time (between reset cycles basically) and the opposite problem of slowing down power progression to the point where it doesn't feel like anything you do matters.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    They are reducing ilvl numbers in BfA. As in 110s had 180 ilvl or something like that.
    Temp fix, like the first squish.

Also as to the second one, that's just awkward and dumb, especially when so many specific iLvls are embedded in my mind, such as 226/232 being the Herald of the Titans gear level, which tells me pretty much all the iLvls of LK.

Even with them doing the stat squish until they do something about the big jump each raid tier thanks to so many difficulties giving different item levels we will keep going around in this circle.
    Bingo.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I seriously do not understand how simple numbers are such an issue for people. They are JUST numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Because it's the way blizz wants it. They want you to feel more powerful each raid "tier". They want to limit people using old items as much as they possibly can. They want power jumps between "tiers".

So to answer the OP, no Blizzard is not doing anything about it because it's the way Blizzard wants to do it, and honestly, I agree with them. 1-2% increases in dps between raids is not fun.
    I don't have a problem with the disparity between tiers. It's more so the disparity during a given tier. With each new tier you'll have catch up mechanics to get newer players up to par to be ready for the next tier. But right now the disparity between say someone that has used Argus to get 910 gear, is still far weaker then someone who has been clearing Heroic ToS and so on.
    For the first tier, it was frustrating playing with some of my friends because they dinged 110 later then myself, and because they weren't chaining M+ were way behind the damage curve for a while.

Where as I remember back in the first tier of Cataclysm where they only had to difficulties (till LFR), I could keep up rather well despite not having the best gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookysheep View Post
    I seriously do not understand how simple numbers are such an issue for people. They are JUST numbers.
    It matters because DPS is a pure numbers game these days. Especially in M+, it depends on the affix, but if your DPS can pump out great damage it's very easy to carry a lousy tank or healer. And if your behind the gear curve as a tank or healer its' still possible to do your job. Gone are the days where DPS are expected to be resourceful and be nearly as responsible for control mobs as Tanks are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Doing a number squish is great, but the inflation is more about having 4 raid difficulties and normal starting at previous mythic ilvl, 15 ilvl between difficulties. Compared to early expansions where you would go from 115 to 155 (tbc) or from 200 to 264 (wotlk), it's just ridiculous to go from 850 to 970 in 3 tiers time.
    They could at least partly fix this problem by lowering the ilvl of each difficulty. There's really no reason why LFR needs to reward significantly higher ilvl than a mythic dungeon. I'd like to see LFR ilvl=mythic dungeon ilvl, Normal raid= maximum mythic +ilvl (before titanforge), Heroic=+15 ilvl over normal and Mythic+15 over Heroic. Instead, LFR rewards 5 more ilvl than a mythic+15. You can't convince me LFR takes more skill and effort than +15 Mythic keystone dungeons.

They might be better able to do this without having tier sets anymore, which are gone after this T21. Funnily enough, Titanforging, one of the biggest things about ilvl scaling is staying... and they're happy with it. Wew.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Temp fix, like the first squish.

Also as to the second one, that's just awkward and dumb, especially when so many specific iLvls are embedded in my mind, such as 226/232 being the Herald of the Titans gear level, which tells me pretty much all the iLvls of LK.
    wich is why they are making all LK achievement legacy

There will be an ilvl squish they said, in addition to stat squish.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    They could at least partly fix this problem by lowering the ilvl of each difficulty. There's really no reason why LFR needs to reward significantly higher ilvl than a mythic dungeon. I'd like to see LFR ilvl=mythic dungeon ilvl, Normal raid= maximum mythic +ilvl (before titanforge), Heroic=+15 ilvl over normal and Mythic+15 over Heroic. Instead, LFR rewards 5 more ilvl than a mythic+15. You can't convince me LFR takes more skill and effort than +15 Mythic keystone dungeons.
    Just delete normal mode. Let the LFR raiders keep their tour bus, have heroic be tuned slightly lower than it is now as it's already pretty easy and then have mythic stay where it is. Have each tier increase in 45 level incriments instead of 60. that's a start. The problem is that normal modes drop the equal of mythic gear from the previous tier but they take heroic, already easy and just remove mechanics/hp - completely unneccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    What I found great about Legion is how it addressed a plethora of issues that have started to plague WoW dating back as far as WoTLK.

However ilvls bloating up like crazy is still a thing. As a DPS class this can be very frustrating.
    You could've at least typed "[expansion name] stat squish" in google...
    It was even on the front page of MMO-C a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    Just delete normal mode. Let the LFR raiders keep their tour bus, have heroic be tuned slightly lower than it is now as it's already pretty easy and then have mythic stay where it is. Have each tier increase in 45 level incriments instead of 60. that's a start. The problem is that normal modes drop the equal of mythic gear from the previous tier but they take heroic, already easy and just remove mechanics/hp - completely unneccessary.
    Nah.
    It's fine as is.

Previous tier is irrelevant. Always was, always will be. Making normal of tier the tier equal to the mythic of the previous tier allows people in mythic gear of the previous tier the chance to get sidegrades from normal difficulty, which is fine. The il steps right now work perfectly tbh. Even including titanforging.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Actually what was posted is very reasonable. A jump of only about 130 ilvls from early Herioic Dungeons to the final Mythic Raid tier is pretty much in league with how TBC was I think with Kara to Sunwell.
    What? This is not right at all.

Karazhan was 115, KJ sunwell was 164 itemlevel. Lich King 10 was 258. So, no, we didn't go 130.....

Legion went from 800 level 110 blues, to 985. That's already more then ever.

135+ jump in Legion in raids alone.

Taking heroic dungeon loot to end-boss heroic.

49 itemlevels in TBC (115 to 164)

84 itemlevel in Wotlk (200 to 284)

70 itemlevel in Cata (346 to 416)

Mythic/Flex/Thunderforged/Warforged added:

109 itemlevel in MoP (463 to 572 warforged)

90 itemlevel in WoD (630 to 720)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    There will be an ilvl squish they said, in addition to stat squish.
    Itemlevel 1000 gear is still like 330 after squish, the gear they showed on blizzcon was like super crappy greens at 185 (around 830 Legion)

If they keep warforge/titanforge, 15 itemlevel difference per difficulty, LFR/N/H/M, it's still gonna rise the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    We went from TF cap @850 pre EN to capped at 980 in antorus.
    So a 130 il jump in legion, too.
    130 ONLY in legion, 49 itemlevel in Burning Crusade, actually more like 150+ in Legion going from early launch heroic 5-man itemlevel to 985.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-12-10 at 01:38 AM.

ilevel inflation within and between expansions is expected and intended.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    Previous tier is irrelevant. Always was, always will be.

Previous tiers started being irrelevant pretty much with Cata, so no, not really "always was, always will be". Even in Cata during Firelands there was reason to run previous tier, because the number of bosses and potential loot in Firelands was smaller. But once DS came out, no one bothered to go back anymore. During WotLK previous tier was relevant until they brough in ICC dungeons and ICC badges. During TBC, all tiers were relevant, same with vanilla.

So please, save those stupid statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    And?
    It's not like they're not familiar with the tech to squish and scale by now. They can't exactly remove progression from the game to avoid triggering some people hinging their mental welfare on these things...

The game no longer has 1 raid difficulty, that's just a fact. Every player wants a sense of progression, meaning there will be bigger leaps in item levels. Titanforging being decreased from old content in BfA is hopefully a guarantee though...
    It hasn't had 1 difficulty since BC. The massive scaling issues didn't happen until MoP when they went to 4 and in an effort to keep LFR relative for a bit bumped it's item level above heroic from the previous raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    They might be better able to do this without having tier sets anymore, which are gone after this T21. Funnily enough, Titanforging, one of the biggest things about ilvl scaling is staying... and they're happy with it. Wew.
    Tier is still in the game it is just called Azerite armor now and the bonuses are more like your artifact weapon unlocks.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

It hasn't had 1 difficulty since BC. The massive scaling issues didn't happen until MoP when they went to 4 and in an effort to keep LFR relative for a bit bumped it's item level above heroic from the previous raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Tier is still in the game it is just called Azerite armor now and the bonuses are more like your artifact weapon unlocks.
    The "massive scaling issues" are mostly in the minds of players though.

It was a problem during the end of MoP when they literally struggled with the high numbers on the client-side, but I feel as though many players hooked onto a meme-train and now they think there's a "scaling issue" just because numbers go higher...

Relative power is where it's at, the world is scaled by that metric rather than some arbitrary "this number is too high for muh feels" or such...

I don't have a problem with the disparity between tiers. It's more so the disparity during a given tier. With each new tier you'll have catch up mechanics to get newer players up to par to be ready for the next tier. But right now the disparity between say someone that has used Argus to get 910 gear, is still far weaker then someone who has been clearing Heroic ToS and so on.
    For the first tier, it was frustrating playing with some of my friends because they dinged 110 later then myself, and because they weren't chaining M+ were way behind the damage curve for a while.

Where as I remember back in the first tier of Cataclysm where they only had to difficulties (till LFR), I could keep up rather well despite not having the best gear.

It matters because DPS is a pure numbers game these days. Especially in M+, it depends on the affix, but if your DPS can pump out great damage it's very easy to carry a lousy tank or healer. And if your behind the gear curve as a tank or healer its' still possible to do your job. Gone are the days where DPS are expected to be resourceful and be nearly as responsible for control mobs as Tanks are.

You have no comprehension of basic math whatsoever. The numbers squish does not affect power in the SLIGHTEST.