Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    IMO games it should have went to over Zelda is.

Neir,Persona 5, Wolfenstein 2, Noih and many others. At lease PUBG didn't win it tho.
    I haven't played Nier yet, and don't have much interest in the other two, but yeah, agreed at least it wasn't PUBG

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Agreed.

I'll always say that nobody would've given a damn about Breath of the Wild had it not 3 things: 1) The title having the word "Zelda", 2) Link as the main character, 3) Made by Nintendo. Had another company made the exact same game, with a different protagonist and just called it "Breath of the Wild" - everybody would be calling it for what it is, a cheaper production version of Skyrim. It's not a bad game - it is good, it's just not fucking GotY good (unless you're somebody who squees every time the word "Zelda" is mentioned, of course)

IMO - it should've gone to Horizon: Zero Dawn. I still can't believe H:ZD didn't win anything. How the HELL does Zelda win Best Direction over H:ZD when there was ACTUAL presentation direction in it over Zelda!? o_O
    I don't quite understand this post.

You acknowledge its a good game, yet also claim that no one could care about it if it wasn't a Nintendo/Zelda/Link game (What does this even mean? All main Zelda games have Link as the main character and are made by Nintendo, you're just repeating the same thing 3 times).

So which is it, that it's a good game, or that no one would care about it? Because if something is a good game, people are going to care about it regardless of who made it.

I mean hell, I don't think it deserved GotY over Persona 5, and I would say there are parts of Horizon that shine better than BotW, but that doesn't mean if someone preferred BotW that they're wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Oh you mean the one that used the same hero and world that it’s been using for the past 20 years and copied almost everything it had from other games before it?

At least HZD was a new IP with a new twist/ideas for the story and gameplay.
    HZD being a new IP is of little relevance. An old franchise is able to innovate despite being old, and Breath of the Wild did just that for the Zelda franchise, as well as put its own spin on the open world genre. I don't doubt that HZD is a good game, but it doesn't get a free pass to become Game of the Year just because it's brand new. BotW simply resonated more with both reviewers and audiences to get the award than HZD managed to. Still, why does it really matter so much if HZD or any other game didn't win, when a lot of people already acknowledge and like the game? The awards don't detract from the accomplishments of any of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't quite understand this post.

You acknowledge its a good game, yet also claim that no one could care about it if it wasn't a Nintendo/Zelda/Link game (What does this even mean? All main Zelda games have Link as the main character and are made by Nintendo, you're just repeating the same thing 3 times).

So which is it, that it's a good game, or that no one would care about it? Because if something is a good game, people are going to care about it regardless of who made it.
    This is why I'm a VO/Photo Retoucher guy and not a writer. :P

My point about "no one would give a damn" is directed at the game being GotY or possibly even onto the list of GotY contenders. Many people think the Megami Tensei series is great, and yet I don't see that on any GotY rosters. (( I mean, hell, I knew one guy who liked Bubsy 3D back then, and even I liked and beat ET on the Atari 2600 when it came out back then. :P)) Just because some think it's "good" doesn't mean it goes on the GotY list, and I could argue that Zelda:BotW is far less than many games out there. Definetly good enough to get a cult following, but GotY? Only reason it did was due to the names attached to the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Still, why does it really matter so much if HZD or any other game didn't win, when a lot of people already acknowledge and like the game? The awards don't detract from the accomplishments of any of those games.
    Because awards are amazingly effective tools for advertising, and a gem like H:ZD, from a studio who went from boring me-too Space Marine FPSes to taking a MASSIVE RISK in presenting a beautiful unique open world experience, a brand new IP and FUCKING AMAZINGLY CONTROLLED action game (Yes, IMO so much better controlled and looking than BotW) that somebody who did something that brave (and arguably beyond what Zelda did in many ways) should be rewarded and recognized for doing so.

Zelda? Pffft... what did Nintendo have to loose? They could've made it a fucking strategy game and it would've still at least made it onto the GotY list. And I argue that Skyrim, an 8 year old game, did many things better than Zelda. How about some fucking music or Voice acting for once? (Don't give me that BS line about Nintendo wanting to "not let the music interfere with the environment". They did it for the same reason they make large Zelda games cell-shaded, to cut costs. Skyrim could do it 8 years ago, why the hell couldn't Nintendo?). At best, all Nintendo did was say "oh shit, this Skyrim game is cool!" and make a lesser version of it. Horizon went above and beyond, taking the graphics beyond any current open world, added a very unique and incredibly DEEEEP Storyline (especially compared to BotW's "Story") and, lets also not forget, making a very believable and strong female character lead without having to resort to sexy female video game armor to boost her appeal. (How many meme's did Zelda's Ass get? :P)

We can differ on opins, but - to me - this reminds me of when the movie Ghandi won over ET for best picture when I was a kid, where the old fogey adults only cared about Historical Docudramas. We all have opins, but it's about time the old fucking hats who grew up in Nintendo-dominated days start retiring and let today's gamers step in.

I thought the show was a lot of fun this year. A bunch of cool reveals, some enjoyable cringe at all of the McDonalds promotions, and Josef Fares ruining his relationship with EA live on stage was a delight. The live music was pretty fantastic too, and a lot of the award winners were so sweet and genuine in their acceptance speeches. Breath of the Wild was a very safe choice for their game of the year, but I couldn't knock it after seeing how humble Aonuma and Fujibayashi's response was. Those are the kind of guys I'm really glad we still have working in the AAA industry.

I'd say I'm kind of bummed that Hollow Knight didn't get more recognition, but ultimately it's a dumb awards show so who cares. I'm happy that all the winners got their little moment!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Because awards are amazingly effective tools for advertising, and a gem like H:ZD, from a studio who went from boring me-too Space Marine FPSes to taking a MASSIVE RISK in presenting a beautiful unique open world experience, a brand new IP and FUCKING AMAZINGLY CONTROLLED action game (Yes, IMO so much better controlled and looking than BotW) that somebody who did something that brave (and arguably beyond what Zelda did in many ways) should be rewarded and recognized for doing so.

Zelda? Pffft... what did Nintendo have to loose? They could've made it a fucking strategy game and it would've still at least made it onto the GotY list. And I argue that Skyrim, an 8 year old game, did many things better than Zelda. How about some fucking music or Voice acting for once? (Don't give me that BS line about Nintendo wanting to "not let the music interfere with the environment". They did it for the same reason they make large Zelda games cell-shaded, to cut costs. Skyrim could do it 8 years ago, why the hell couldn't Nintendo?). At best, all Nintendo did was say "oh shit, this Skyrim game is cool!" and make a lesser version of it. Horizon went above and beyond, taking the graphics beyond any current open world, added a very unique and incredibly DEEEEP Storyline (especially compared to BotW's "Story") and, lets also not forget, making a very believable and strong female character lead without having to resort to sexy female video game armor to boost her appeal. (How many meme's did Zelda's Ass get? :P)

We can differ on opins, but - to me - this reminds me of when the movie Ghandi won over ET for best picture when I was a kid, where the old fogey adults only cared about Historical Docudramas. We all have opins, but it's about time the old fucking hats who grew up in Nintendo-dominated days start retiring and let today's gamers step in.
    So? Nintendo took plenty of risks this year as well. They had to rely on Breath of the Wild being great enough of a game to be a system seller for the Nintendo Switch, a console that could either make or break the company as a hardware manufacturer. The game is also a big departure from previous LoZ installments when it could have just as well been another iteration of the 3D Zelda formula established in Ocarina of Time. To say that Nintendo did not take any risks with Breath of a Wild is just being disingenuous.

Funny, because I don't think Skyrim has ever been that great of a game, while on the other hand I like BotW. It's almost like the games are different in what they are trying to accomplish despite being under the same umbrella term of open world, kind of like how HZD is not a carbon copy of other open world titles, which you have gone on to praise.

I never cared much about the Oscars, and neither do I mind if some other game had got GotY like Mario Odyssey or Persona 5, the former which I thought was going to get the award if Breath of the Wild didn't win. Contrary to your personal opinion, neither of those Nintendo franchises get a free pass to becoming GotY just because they are named Mario and Zelda. Nintendo put their best foot forward this year when many people doubted they would, and luckily for them it paid off.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2017-12-09 at 09:09 PM.

HZD being a new IP is of little relevance. An old franchise is able to innovate despite being old, and Breath of the Wild did just that for the Zelda franchise, as well as put its own spin on the open world genre. I don't doubt that HZD is a good game, but it doesn't get a free pass to become Game of the Year just because it's brand new. BotW simply resonated more with both reviewers and audiences to get the award than HZD managed to. Still, why does it really matter so much if HZD or any other game didn't win, when a lot of people already acknowledge and like the game? The awards don't detract from the accomplishments of any of those games.
    Highly, highly disagree there. They basically took a hodge podge of ideas from other open world games, slapped them all together, threw a coat of Zelda paint on them, and called it a day.

I'm not saying BotW was a bad game, but it sure as hell didn't do enough to earn GOTY. Like I said before, the weapon durability system in BotW alone was abysmal enough to knock it out of the GOTY category IMO. That has to be one of the most idiotic durability systems I've EVER seen in a game. Not to mention that the story was pretty "meh" overall. HZD blew it away in the story department.

BotW basically got free points towards GOTY simply because it had "Zelda" in the title. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't really know how the gaming industry works.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2017-12-09 at 09:57 PM.

Highly, highly disagree there. They basically took a hodge podge of ideas from other open world games, slapped them all together, threw a coat of Zelda paint on them, and called it a day.

I'm not saying BotW was a bad game, but it sure as hell didn't do enough to earn GOTY. Like I said before, the weapon durability system in BotW alone was abysmal enough to knock it out of the GOTY category IMO. That has to be one of the most idiotic durability systems I've EVER seen in a game. Not to mention that the story was pretty "meh" overall. HZD blew it away in the story department.
    I adored the durability system in BotW myself. Initially I found it a little perplexing, but once I figured out what kind of gameplay it was trying to incentivise I had a blast with it. That's one of the areas in which I think BotW did something a lot more creative and risky than people give it credit for, especially since they must've known it wasn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

The main reason I think the game gets so much praise, however, is just because it does the open world thing better than most of its contemporaries by simplifying the formula and boiling it down to its most fun components, playing to the exploration genre's strengths rather than getting bogged down by the collect-a-thon mindset that's come to dominate a lot of open world releases. It's just got an incredibly well designed world in general, with the majority of it feeling very deliberate and purposeful. A lot of open world games often feel like they're just space for the sake of space, sacrificing level design for the sake of scale. When I was playing BotW I consistently felt like I was actually playing actual video game levels rather than just traversing terrain, and managing to integrate that with such a large and organic landscape is a real feat of game design. It's for reasons like those that I'd really disagree with it feeling like a bunch of ideas from other games slapped together. Certainly it follows in the footsteps of many titles that've come before it, but the execution is very carefully considered, and the omission of many open world "standards" certainly attests to this.

It's the simple little cuts and additions combined with an incredible amount of polish that make BotW so loved. On the surface it's not all that different from a lot of other games out there, but the details really sucked me in where other open world adventures would've tired me out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I adored the durability system in BotW myself. Initially I found it a little perplexing, but once I figured out what kind of gameplay it was trying to incentivise I had a blast with it. That's one of the areas in which I think BotW did something a lot more creative and risky than people give it credit for, especially since they must've known it wasn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

The main reason I think the game gets so much praise, however, is just because it does the open world thing better than most of its contemporaries by simplifying the formula and boiling it down to its most fun components, playing to the exploration genre's strengths rather than getting bogged down by the collect-a-thon mindset that's come to dominate a lot of open world releases. It's just got an incredibly well designed world in general, with the majority of it feeling very deliberate and purposeful. A lot of open world games often feel like they're just space for the sake of space, sacrificing level design for the sake of scale. When I was playing BotW I consistently felt like I was actually playing actual video game levels rather than just traversing terrain, and managing to integrate that with such a large and organic landscape is a real feat of game design. It's for reasons like those that I'd really disagree with it feeling like a bunch of ideas from other games slapped together. Certainly it follows in the footsteps of many titles that've come before it, but the execution is very carefully considered, and the omission of many open world "standards" certainly attests to this.

It's the simple little cuts and additions combined with an incredible amount of polish that make BotW so loved. On the surface it's not all that different from a lot of other games out there, but the details really sucked me in where other open world adventures would've tired me out.
    Wait a moment you´re really saying BotW is a better game because they dumbed it down?

Like literally making it easier and less fleshed out and that makes it better?

After all the years where most players agreed that dunbing down games and making them easier is what makes them bad?

You must be taking some really good shit to come to that conclussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    The main reason I think the game gets so much praise, however, is just because it does the open world thing better than most of its contemporaries by simplifying the formula and boiling it down to its most fun components.
    No it doesn't sorry. It gets so much praise because its Zelda/Nintendo and its different then the Zelda's before it. It does not do anything better then its contemporaries.

playing to the exploration genre's strengths rather than getting bogged down by the collect-a-thon mindset that's come to dominate a lot of open world releases.
    Besides the Shrines,Seeds and Armor sets right?

A lot of open world games often feel like they're just space for the sake of space, sacrificing level design for the sake of scale. When I was playing BotW I consistently felt like I was actually playing actual video game levels rather than just traversing terrain,
    No clue what BOTW you played because the one in this reality had huge parts of dead space that was just there for the sake of scale. You could cut out 1/3 of the map and it wouldn't feel any different.

It's the simple little cuts and additions combined with an incredible amount of polish that make BotW so loved.
    Polish? What polish. The game still has performance issues on both the Wii-U and Switch. The Wii-U's performance is a joke and the amount of "dungeons" you get is lackluster since you can finish each one quickly.

Gannon himself was a joke of a fight and the voice acting goes from Meh to 5th gen bad at times. The only "polished" part of the game was the graphics and even it had some moments that looked meh.

I do love how collecting all 900 seeds all you got was a golden pile of shit. Also I don't even need to point out the fact the "DLC" they released was cut content. Hell The platform you fight the boss on in it was in the game day 1

It was a decent game that won GOTY because Nintendo funded the Award show. The games it went against (besides PUBG) was much better.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-12-10 at 01:32 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account

BotW basically got free points towards GOTY simply because it had "Zelda" in the title. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't really know how the gaming industry works.
    My point is not a matter of opinion, so disagree as much as you like. Plenty of old franchises have been able to innovate on their formulas. Heck, Zelda has done so in about 3 major ways throughout its history, including Breath of the Wild. A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time especially set the standard for both 2D and 3D dungeon puzzle adventures at the time of their releases, and are to this day considered milestones in gaming.

I can agree with you that HZD has a better story than Breath of the Wild. Heck, within its own franchise BotW is not even in the top 5 best Legend of Zelda stories as I see it. However, that does not matter very much. A game does not need to have a fantastic story for it to be a Game of the Year contender. It is surely a nice thing to have, but the award is not called "Best Story of the Year". As for the weapon durability argument, people are blowing the issue way out of proportion. While I personally would have liked a way to actually repair nearly broken weapons before they break, the system does in no way break the game (pun not intended). There are so many ways you can save on weapon durability by using your environment and Sheikah Runes that you can save up on the better stuff for when they are needed.

Some of the reasons I have seen from people here that HZD was far more deserving of the award this year when there have been quite a handful of very well received games is what I would consider giving a game "free points". If you can't acknowledge other games for their own merits and get upset that enough people happened to have a differing opinion on the matter, then that is your own loss.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2017-12-10 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Wait a moment you´re really saying BotW is a better game because they dumbed it down?

After all the years where most players agreed that dunbing down games and making them easier is what makes them bad?

I don't think I mentioned that. Do you mean when I was talking about things being more simplified and focused? That's generally a very good thing in game design. You always want things to be as simple as possible. This only turns into "dumbing down" when it's handled poorly, resulting in the loss of enjoyable gameplay in the process. A lot of AAA games suffer from the problem of feature bloat, with extra systems being tacked on purely because they're in vogue (or to pad the experience out) rather than because they enhance the core game in a meaningful way. Leveling and crafting systems are common offenders that frequently show up in games that have nothing to do with leveling of crafting. This kind of stuff can really damage the pacing and flow of the core gameplay loop when it's done poorly.

As an example of how BotW handles this stuff in a way that's elegant and simple, think about how the resource gathering element of the game works. A lot of games would have some kind of mining or woodcutting subsystem implemented, with context-sensitive "use the gathering node" prompts that lock you into a canned animation, utilise extra menus, or activate a completely separate style of gameplay than you're used to. BotW simply requires you equip a cutting or smashing weapon and throw a regular attack at the resource node. It's all accomplished via the game's default controls without any kind additional menus, animations, or subsystems tacked on.

That's not to say that having lots of extra gameplay systems is always bad (some games like Stardew Valley are based almost entirely upon this), but there is a lot to be said for a title that can integrate a lot of varied activities as smoothly and simply into the core gameplay as possible. This translates into many other areas such as the way BotW handles difficulty and exploration as well; emphasising core elements while cutting out unnecessary bloat.

Edit: As an addendum, and just to keep things on track, I'm of course not trying to make any kind of "X game deserved game of the year because blah blah" argument, since that's obviously silly. The only game of the year that matters is the one you pick for yourself. I'm just making a case for why BotW is so well loved compared to games that seem similar on the surface.
    Last edited by Wondercrab; 2017-12-10 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post

That is not what he actually said. "Simplifying" does not automatically mean "dumbing down". He simply meant that the game took all the elements of why the open world formula is interesting and boiled them down to their core components in a refined way.

Can't really agree with BOTW being GOTY. First Zelda game in my life I was too bored to finish. No sense of urgency, no feeling of progression. You just wander around aimlessly. And don't get me started about performance. Random FPS drops all over the place. I will never understand how this game got perfect scores. I guess you could put the name Zelda on a brick and it would win GOTY.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Can't really agree with BOTW being GOTY. First Zelda game in my life I was too bored to finish. No sense of urgency, no feeling of progression. You just wander around aimlessly. And don't get me started about performance. Random FPS drops all over the place. I will never understand how this game got perfect scores. I guess you could put the name Zelda on a brick and it would win GOTY.
    The FPS drops were only really if you played docked.

Undocked the game was fairly smooth, outside of the Lost Woods, and an odd bug from attacked downwards while enemies are falling downwards (or something).

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    I guess you could put the name Zelda on a brick and it would win GOTY.
    While I agree with the people who think BoTW is far less impressive then most claim this is incredibly false.

Zelda hasn't sniffed mainstream GOTY awards since OoT. The last major entry in Skyward Sword literally got bodied by Skyrim and Dark Souls for GOTY awards.

So no, it's not because the game is named Zelda. I honestly think it's because there are so many people who don't step out of their "safe places" in the gaming spectrum and legitimately believe BoTW innovated(just look at this thread people legit think that lol...). In reality it just polished concepts that have been in open world gaming for well over a decade, but it seems it was legitimately mind blowing to people who don't realize this and didn't diversify their gaming portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The FPS drops were only really if you played docked.

Undocked the game was fairly smooth, outside of the Lost Woods, and an odd bug from attacked downwards while enemies are falling downwards (or something).
    The Wii-U version still runs like shit as well.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

well only game i've bothered to go back and complete on a harder mode in a long time won, must of done 250 hours on BotW, don't quite know how it was even in the running for best audio or music there's virtually none lol.

but it's fucking nostalgia and that's a powerful tool, blizzard are currently working on classic WoW something they never wanted to do but nostalgia from the community has literally forced their hand, never underestimate nostalgia it's as powerful as any drug/addiction!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had a huge hard-on for the Zelda franchise since the first NES game and when the series went 3D, I always thought BotW was the kind of game I wanted, but after a few hours into it, its problems became very apparent to me. Its a great game on its own merit, but I think it just established the rules that the series will follow from now on, nothing was perfected, just the bare skeleton was put on display of what could be done. I have much higher hopes for the next upcoming game in the works that follows its formula, since now they know what worked and what didn't. I actually kind of think Link Between Worlds did some things better in returning the open-ended roots to the series.

Should it have won awards? Absolutely. Its still a great game, but I don't know if I would consider it GotY across ALL platforms. As far as Nintendo releases are concerned, I think Mario did a much better job at a "open 3D" reboot. It didn't completely retool the way the game is played from scratch, it improved upon a good formula already established, unlike Zelda which many long-time fans, at least the ones not completely blinded by its glory, would admit made many cuts from the choice elements that made previous releases so memorable (dungeon design in particular).

Breath is great, but is also one of the biggest "honeymoon period" games I have ever played. Hell I do think its better then most other 3D past Zelda titles as far as re playability is concerned, but I wouldn't say that makes it the best game in the series just cause of that. Not saying it shouldn't get the rewards it deserves, but I think 2017 had enough other releases that should have given it bigger competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Breath of the Wild is a game that has moments of excellence when all of its systems are working in tandem and it is a magical experience. It is also a game that has many confusing and outright bad design choices. Overall it is a very flawed masterpiece.

Then you have Persona 5. A game that has basically no flaws. Characters, story, art style, combat, etc. all top notch.

Which do you think should have won GotY? Because it sure as hell isn't Breath of the Wild. This was bias incarnate. I don't know anyone who's played both Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild that would say that Breath of the Wild is better.

Hell there are a plethora of things in BotW that aren't even the best in the Legend of Zelda series. Music, dungeons, story are no where near best in series.

My point is not a matter of opinion, so disagree as much as you like. Plenty of old franchises have been able to innovate on their formulas. Heck, Zelda has done so in about 3 major ways throughout its history, including Breath of the Wild. A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time especially set the standard for both 2D and 3D dungeon puzzle adventures at the time of their releases, and are to this day considered milestones in gaming.
    Oh what complete horseshit.

Especially Ocarina of Time setting 3D dungeon puzzle adventures. A game without a jump button leading 3D Dungeon Puzzle adventures? Seriously? Fuking Tomb Raider set that 10x more than anything Ocarina has ever done.

While Link to the Past sits at a great place in my heart, I still can't agree that THAT game set the tone for "Dungeon puzzle adventure" games as, well, there really weren't any post Link to the Past. By then, Final Fantasy VI and VII had established the RPG market. And then, as aforementioned prior, games like Tomb Raider and other games paved the way, which not only came out before Zelda: OoT, but also the same year as Mario 64 - so you can't say that Mario influenced its development as well either.