Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Yeah, those don't make sense either.

If we have race class restrictions we should be consistent and follow the established lore.
    Wow epic argument, I take it I win then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    Wow epic argument, I take it I win then?
    Win what? I'm not arguing anything other than Lightforged should have monk. All the other races having monk is stupid as well.

The original races have monks because timey wimey we've always been here teaching them, right? And if not Worgen and Goblin should have monks as well, but since they don't it has been handled very poorly since MoP.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Golden feet remove any doubt when you see them...

Meanwhile I'm waiting for Leper gnomes to make it into the allied races.
    You thought we'd be done with green for a while now but this is just the beginning! Sargeras' sword has begun subterranean nuclear processes that have made the pygmies resurface in huge numbers. Disease ridden and retching ooze everywhere they need our help before they succumb to the same madness they've fled from since something has begun enslaving them in the depths they used to call home!
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Deleted
    Maybe some Lighting Horns ?

Trust me, some sort of angel wings coming out valky'r style, but light version on them would be awesome, especially if they animate with certain abilities, like the wings raising upwards as your hunter crossbow is charged with the aura of the light and your arrows are now pure light for the duration of the powered up ability.l

Now that would give them a distinctive look and silhouette. Wings you can opt to hide/show when out of combat. Then they'll be no mistaking a lightforged draenei.

I was looking at the character creation again, and the colour change on the skin is not enough, and half of the hornstyles are identical to the normal draenei. Runes while nice are going to be invisible in most gear for most class options.

They need something awesome looking, that fits the Dreanei/Eredar and the lightforged theme - that makes them distinctive, but not completely different. And it's Light (angel like version) of wings. I am convinced of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Golden feet remove any doubt when you see them...

Meanwhile I'm waiting for Leper gnomes to make it into the allied races.
    You thought we'd be done with green for a while now but this is just the beginning! Sargeras' sword has begun subterranean nuclear processes that have made the pygmies resurface in huge numbers. Disease ridden and retching ooze everywhere they need our help before they succumb to the same madness they've fled from since something has begun enslaving them in the depths they used to call home!
    Golden feet/hooves would also be a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by r3gul8r View Post
    They need something that makes them stand out, I agree. The tattoos will be unnoticeable because the armor will cover it.

Just another race I won't be playing.
    Their head glyph should be pretty visible with most armor types and their horn styles look much more different.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    No, they really don't.

They are the alliance counterpart to High-mountain Tauren. They get a different skin complexion and different horns. That's all they need to compete there.

edit: I fail to see how you can think angel wings on a draenei would be fitting... If anything a naaru like structure on their back would fit better.

The same ones that have been around since Warcraft 2?
    I was referring to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    The problem is not how they look. It is that they, like the Void Elves are such a shallow, loreless and tacked on invention. There would be like 100 LFD and 20 VE in all of the warcraft universe which feels wrongly small for an entire "race."
    Because according to the Goblin starting zone, you, the player, are one of the very few who made it off of Kezan on a boat, which shipwrecked on an island with very few other Goblins, which joined the Horde.

All 20 of you.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I think you are greatly downplaying the cultural differences between Night Elves and Nightborne. It starts with a class divide between the common folk and the highborne, two groups that hated each other before the war. That class divide evolved into a literal separation, the nightborne closed themselves from the world, ad later the remaining higborne in kaldorei society just couldn't handle the shift in power and culture and just left.

Can you really say that Suramaritarians wouldn't have left with the queldorei if Suramar had been lost? Everything points towards that.

To say that nightborne are "night elves" is to completely disregard the reasons why the blood elves even exist. It all comes from the class divide.

That current nightborne might now some current night elves from "back in the day" means as little and as much as any relations between Blood and High Elves.

There's just no denying that culturally the blood elves and nightborne are just closer, they are both high borne. Night elves completely shifted their culture after the war, to the nightborne, seeing them turned into what they are now, must have been devastating.

Elisande speaks to it, and there's no reason to believe it's anything but the cultural bias.
    not downplaying cultural differences because I'm considering all night elf cultures, not just the alliance group one, I'm considering highborne shen'dralar culture, Moonguard when I talk about the night elves and nightborne. I always bear in mind that the alliance group is not the whole of what night elf is, even though we use the same term to describe that group and the whole race.

Most night elves are Suramaritarians too, most come from the city and the region of Suramar in a forced separation due to the legion's invasion.

When I point out about the night elves been closer than the blood elves, I'm factoring ALL the different night elf groups, not just the alliance group. I'm aware the nightborne have more in common culturally with the blood elves than Tyrande's group currently, but if you add the highborne that fails to be the case anylonger. If you consider the alliance in total, the alliance also has the high elves, so they really have more in common culturally. Furthermore there are the familial and historical ties, they have, sharing themes.

But it's not commonality that is the reason used here. Though they have more in common with night elves than blood elves, they have common ground with the blood elves too through the mana addiction thing - the blood elves recently experienced, whereas most night elves went through that after the sundering having no nightwell, or when Immol'thar was producing no more juice. The blood elves honour them far more than either the high elves or the night elves from the alliance, it's a lie that they have more in common with the blood elves, it's just people ignorant of the highborne and ignoring the high elves that say that, let alone forgetting that nightborne are night elves, and kaldorei empire ones, even though the alliance group have switched cultures, they will still have more in common as they all have that common ground. In my opinion.

But I think for this issue you can't conflate all the night elven factions. The night elves, as pertinent to this conversation, are the ones that Tyrande leads and joined the alliance. They are the large of the night elf population, with a very maked culture; they have been so for 10.000 years. The "Darnassian Night Elves" exist as a sociocultural and political entity, and the largest elven group in WoW.

They might have allowed the Shen'dralar back into their society, but it's exactly that, an allowance to join that specific faction of night elves, with their policies and culture.

The Darnassian Night Elves stand as their own sociopolitical entity, their own faction, regardless of any other night elven groups (mostly neutral organizations like the ones in the Cenarion Circle, Guardians of Hyjal, Druid order and Moon Guard.)

The Nightborne choosing either to join the alliance or the horde revolves around what group of elves those factions contain. The Alliance has the Darnassian Night Elves -and the Silver Covenant High Elves, which is not a plus for them- and it is patentedly made clear that the Nightborne and them don't see eye to eye culturally nor phylosophically, and that there are still some hard feelings after the WotA. The Horde has the Thalassian Blood Elves, who have been nothing but supportive of their plight, and share very similar cultural and societal values.

It is evident that the alliance night elves represent only a part of the present Kaldorei populace, but this is the faction the Nightborne would have had to join with.

If the Shen'dralar had been allowed to preserve their own culture rather than merely join the Darnassian Night Elves, I could see the Nightborne gravitating towards them. But the fact is simple, the Shen'dralar don't exist as a political presence in Darnassian politics. There was no Highborne representative in Suramar because they do not have their own organization within the night elves, they are expected to just follow Darnassian policy.

If the Nightborne saw a Highborne within the Night Elven ranks, they only saw them as assimilated into Darnassian night elven culture, so much there wasn't even a point to represent them in game.

Darnassian Night Elves, or Thalassian Blood Elves. Those where the choices the Nightborne had in regard to which side join. To me is no surprise the chose to side with their Thalassian kin, because as political, societal and cultural groups, of the two, they undoubtedly share more with the Blood Elves.

I don't want to blame Tyrande for this, if it was written differently, Tyrande could have approached the nigthborne in kindness and forgiveness, having the Shen'dralar tag along to showcase how Kaldorei culture is evolving while finding cohesion in their shared ancestry.

Yet Tyrande was written to spurn the Nightborne, to look down on them, to hold them accountable for their actions during WotA, to not put more effort than necessary by a sense of duty. And while I certainly agree that this wasn't the most savvy political approach, I can't say it wasn't the moral one. Tyrande has her reasons to mistrust them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fyersing View Post
    Personally, I'd have just turned their skin into a gradient -- from blue to yellow. Not unlike the images of Azerite we saw at Blizzcon.

Example:

Love that idea tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    They need more skin tones, so far there's only 3 that are not even remotely different.
    Expecting them to add some way darker tones as well.

if you display helmets the lightforged dorkrenai look identical to basic drenai.
    same goes for dark iron dwarves, due to armor there is no visual difference compared to regular dwarves unless you transmog hide half the stuff.

horde got straight back trolls, proper looking elves and deer tauren - overall much more noticeable visually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    What about nighborne and highmountain monks? Who are yet to be trained? Did you not check the PTR stuff?
    They're placing Pandaren monk trainers in Suramar and Thunder Totem. Who's to say the Pandaren never got there and trained them? The same couldn't be said for space-faring Draenei.

Lightforged are fine. They aren't exciting but that's okay. Honestly I'd rather they got more classes, or something more to make them stand out better. For instance, there's not really much of a reason for them to not get monks... but if Blizzard really wanted to be clever, they could give them druids and highmountain paladins or something so that both factions could have a third race for those classes.

But hey, that's just my biased opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkowl View Post
    They're placing Pandaren monk trainers in Suramar and Thunder Totem. Who's to say the Pandaren never got there and trained them? The same couldn't be said for space-faring Draenei.
    Ohh I forgot, they were there all along, only using some ancient titan cloaking device the same way they hid Uldum, yes?

No, the pandas come and train them AFTER the events on Argus. It's pretty much clear on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Lightforged are fine. They aren't exciting but that's okay. Honestly I'd rather they got more classes, or something more to make them stand out better. For instance, there's not really much of a reason for them to not get monks... but if Blizzard really wanted to be clever, they could give them druids and highmountain paladins or something so that both factions could have a third race for those classes.

But hey, that's just my biased opinion.
    Indeed, all they need to do is make up some shitty story to back it up - that is if they wanted to, but clearly their intention is to have very little population of LF draenei - little choice of classes, shitty racials.

Meanwhile a "small group of Silvermoon rejects" is going to become the #2 alliance race assuming they don't fiddle with the human racials. Lol.

They need a reason to be more than a barber shop addition to normal Draenei.

Maybe a totally imba racial that will be brought into line after some people rolled Lightforged. :>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionhearte0 View Post
    Because according to the Goblin starting zone, you, the player, are one of the very few who made it off of Kezan on a boat, which shipwrecked on an island with very few other Goblins, which joined the Horde.

All 20 of you.
    Well, with goblins it's easier...
    just as you are the only one who has that legion follower following you around (while others have nameless NPCs) other goblin PCs you meet are likely supposed to have a different back-story. (there was a lot of other ships who escaped before yours did)