Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I live in a very Multicultured Area. I'm surrounded by many different types of Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean foods. Since I'm Australian, I don't even really know what is considered our local Cuisine.

I know there's the stereotypical Meat Pies. But even they change just bakery to bakery. Maybe our Pubfood? But even that's just shit from around the world, like Schnitzels from Germany, or British Dinner meals.

@Mormolyce What do you think you'd consider the "Local Cuisine" in Australia, or Just the Melbourne region itself?

Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    Theres indian,mexican,american(think hamburgers),chinese, japanese and korean.
    And Thai places. I swear, every shopping center north of Seattle has the same three spots; a Starbucks, a Korean teriyaki joint, and a Thai joint.

Kinda slim pickings for someone from Europe though It's just various Americanized Asian places or burger spots.

There's the Budapest Bistro up in Mukilteo. That's not bad.

The Greek places are pretty forgettable. Most of them aren't even Greek, they're Arabs making Arab-style takeaway that just use lots of blues, and whites in their decorations, with pictures of Greek islands and the Acropolis. They call themselves "Mediterranean" and use pictures of Greece rather than Egypt or Lebanon because the locals can be a bit dodgy about Muslims.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2017-12-10 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I live in a very Multicultured Area. I'm surrounded by many different types of Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean foods. Since I'm Australian, I don't even really know what is considered our local Cuisine.
    This, for where I live too, in the US. I have neighbors from around the world and their food came with them.

But, if I had to define my local cuisine, it would be "dive bar." Burgers, fries, beer and whiskey. A pool table and a dart board for bonus points.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pulled pork. Like the sandwich shop the Conners ran in Roseanne. I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    And Thai places. I swear, every shopping center north of Seattle has the same three spots; a Starbucks, a Korean teriyaki joint, and a Thai joint.

Kinda slim pickings for someone from Europe though It's just various Americanized Asian places or burger spots.

There's the Budapest Bistro up in Mukilteo. That's not bad.

The Greek places are pretty forgettable. Most of them aren't even Greek, they're Arabs making Arab-style takeaway that just use lots of blues, and whites in their decorations, with pictures of Greek islands and the Acropolis. They call themselves "Mediterranean" and use pictures of Greece rather than Egypt or Lebanon because the locals can be a bit dodgy about Muslims.
    Every time I've tried going to Chinese places here or places serving Thai food the service has been atrocious and the food has tasted really meh.

Love a place run by some turkish guy though, they make possibly the best pizzas and some other types of meals I've ever tasted that you don't make yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    i know cali has plenty of stuff unique to that area. though i dont remember what they were.
    Only thing I can think of is fusion cuisine, like Mexican and Korean, French and Japanese, etc.

I'll go with Kumpir. It's basically baked whole-potato split in middle. You stuff it with whatever you like, from American/Russian Salad to pickles, sausage or whatever you like really. Had one recently:

Last edited by Kuntantee; 2017-12-10 at 12:26 PM.

Where I was born we eat a raw beef dish mixed with cracked wheat and spices called kubbeh nayyeh

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I'll go with Kumpir. It's basically baked whole-potato split in middle. You stuff it with whatever you like, from American/Russian Salad to pickles, sausage or whatever you like really. Had one recently:

What the hell is Russian salad? Genuinely curious
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2017-12-10 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Where I was born we eat a raw beef dish mixed with cracked wheat and spices called kubbeh nayyeh

What the hell is Russian salad? Genuinely curious
    Google it? Anyway, you mix mayonnaise with boiled sausage, peas, potato (chopped cubically), eggs and some seasoning. This is the popular version in Turkey. I am sure it may vary a bit depending on the country.

This:

Last edited by Kuntantee; 2017-12-10 at 06:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anything and everything. I recently went to a japanese/latin fusion place, can't even remember the name of it and had what they call a "sushi burrito". It was pretty dang good!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post

I know there's the stereotypical Meat Pies. But even they change just bakery to bakery. Maybe our Pubfood? But even that's just shit from around the world, like Schnitzels from Germany, or British Dinner meals.

@Mormolyce What do you think you'd consider the "Local Cuisine" in Australia, or Just the Melbourne region itself?
    Pretty much what you just said, Melbourne is very multicultural so the local fare is Indian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Lebanese, Italian, Greek... there's even a Senegalese place down the road from me. Though I struggle to find decent Mexican.

Traditionally it'd be fish and chips and meat pies (ie UK heritage), but the only place I can get a pie around here is Pie Face and that's a pretty gentrified pie. Also it might just be my rose-tinted goggles but I swear when I was growing up in WA there was a fish and chip shop on every corner, but here in Melbourne it's really hard to find one that's any good. Also they serve souvlaki in a fish and chip shop here, and that's heresy.

I guess the other traditional food is things like beetroot and egg on a burger (who decided that was an Australian favourite?), lamingtons, pavlova and the typical backyard barbecue. Of which I'd say only the latter is something people really do regularly. Oh and vegemite of course, which is only semi-popular these days.

Funny story - I once went to Tasmania to visit some relatives, that was the whitest place I've ever been. We went out and got Chinese food and the people running the restaurant were white! I've never seen such a thing before, it was surreal. I couldn't believe the food they served, it was like a ridiculous stereotype of what white suburban Australians in the 80s thought Asian food was. Like supermarket "soy sauce" over frozen mixed vegetables and cubes of chicken. Blew my mind.

*EDIT*

Oh - how about Chico rolls? They're still sort of popular I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Google it? Anyway, you mix mayonnaise with boiled sausage, peas, potato (chopped cubically), eggs and some seasoning. This is the popular version in Turkey. I am sure it may vary a bit depending on the country.
    My wife's obsessed with Russian salad.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-12-10 at 10:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pan Haggerty, potato onion and cheese all baked together

Ham and Pease Pudding on a stottie. Pease pudding is made from carlin peas, boiled in water with a ham, spices and salt. Nicer than it sounds

Singin Hinnies are like scones, full of fat and currants

Craster Kippers, also knows as the best kippers in the world

Also Greggs

Uh, everything. But mostly pizza.

I grew up on the East coast of the US but lived on the S.E. coast and West coast. Now I live in the midwest.

The NY slice.

Last edited by Fencers; 2017-12-10 at 10:36 PM.

There's a place here where I live that makes really good fish and chips out of fresh caught lake erie perch and walleye. Usually there's about an hour and a half wait to get your food because it's so busy.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Pacific Northwest.

Fish and chips/fish tacos of varying variety. Mostly salmon or herring. There's a white (meat) fish that makes the rounds every summer, too. But I can't remember which...

Also oysters, clams... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

Vodka Popsicles for alcoholics
    I tried this once with gummi bears. Ended up being more like a giant bowl of Jell-O shots

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Uh, everything. But mostly pizza.

I grew up on the East coast of the US but lived on the S.E. coast and West coast. Now I live in the midwest.

The NY slice.

Shouldn't a New York slice require 2 paper plates to fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Anything and everything. I recently went to a japanese/latin fusion place, can't even remember the name of it and had what they call a "sushi burrito". It was pretty dang good!
    I could totally chow down on a sushi burrito.

Here it's Tex-Mex and BBQ. About to move to the crab cakes though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Southern California

So going to go with Tacos

Bosna (kind of hot dog with spicy curry sauce and onions):

And especially now for christmas: Stuck (rye pastry with raisin and christmas spices like cloves and cinamon):

7+ Year Old Account

Basically crepes from potato dough, usually dry fried and filled with crushed poppy seeds.