View Poll Results: Do you see Blizzard implementing the WoW Token into Classic?

Voters
286. This poll is closed
  • Yes, totally see them doing this.

69 24.13%
  • No, then it wouldn't be Vanilla.

189 66.08%
  • That's a tough one...

28 9.79%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They might as well do it. Gold sellers are rampant on private servers just as they were back in the day on retail. I don't see why it would be any different here unless they do more than just ban waves. Some people are going to buy gold one way or another so might as well let them have a safe way to do it that discourages assholes from spamming me constantly. I'll admit this has several downsides but unless they want to pay several employees just to police the servers I feel it's entirely necessary.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2017-12-10 at 02:48 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It would have to be a different token then, because 100k of gold in Classic is gonna be worth alot more then in retail. This would cause problems and make money makers go into either retail or classic to get their fix.

But it would not be surprising to see it.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    Why would you even need the token system in classic server for starters no-one is even gonna have that much gold.
    No one would ever be able to purchase a 280k token (EU price) on a vanilla server... that's just dumb :P

It would have a greatly reduced value, if it ever is implemented.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2017-12-10 at 02:49 PM.

Seeing as we dont even know what system there going with for vanilla (is it linked to your main account, is it a new account, new launcher bla bla) Id like to see it baked into the main sub, so you pay £10 for your BFA account and you have access to vanilla WoW. Then you can use the gold on BFA for your subs, ofc its not "vanilla" like in some peoples eyes but its how blizzard still get there money.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Best scenario would be to just have the subs combined, but you shouldn't be able to cash in token gold on Classic, 300k is a bit insane over there.

Seperate token? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I think you severely misjudge how low-risk it is for someone to buy gold in WoW. Either Blizzard implements their own controlled system, or people are going to buy gold and gold sellers and botters will be more rampant. Blizzard doesn't have the resources to, nor would they want to, track down every gold buyer and seller and ban/suspend them. Suspending gold buyers is also one of the most idiotic things blizzard could possibly do from a business perspective, which is why they rarely do it.
    For someone who knows what he's doing, maybe. For the average joe however, just the potential of those things happening, whether they happen or not, is enough reduce the chances by quite a bit. And that's completely counting out how much influence an official blizzard endorsed "product" that's ubiquitous, less taboo and more known and advertised has on people who want to buy gold. Hell, not even want to buy gold, but in need of gold. Having that official accessible risk-free option has a lot of impact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Classic being tied-in with Retail for a subscription (and thus using a Token on it) isn't the question I'm asking though. I'm asking whether you think Blizzard will implement the purchasing/selling of those tokens inside Classic WoW, thus creating a way to legally buy gold (which was never a feature in Vanilla and I think would ruin the economy and much of the Vanila experience if you could just legally buy gold).
    ofc classic will be integrated to the bnet so it (aka classic) will have access to the tokens too.

My point wasn't that making something legal is bad, my point was that just because some people break a law that it shouldn't be legalized.
    If you actually want me to explain why buying in-game gold for real money is bad for the game and its economy as a whole then I'm sorry for you.
    Making something legal, just because some people do it is bad. See murder. I cant see any positive effects that could possibly have.
    Making something legal, because it might help kill some negative side effects of the illegal counterpart CAN (but does not have to) be good (depends on wether or not it makes the actual reason it was banned for worse or not).

You seem to be comparing legal gold selling to no gold selling. I agree that that one would be a no brainer. But thats not one of the actual options we have.
    You will either have legal gold selling or chinese gold farmers. The question is, which one is worse. And that is an actual interesting question you need a lot of data to answer.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

I don't see them implementing it - at least initially. If anything, they'll wait to gauge the impact of gold sellers - and go from there. But - who knows! It's all conjecture at this point !

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    ofc classic will be integrated to the bnet so it (aka classic) will have access to the tokens too.
    Still not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you think in the future Blizzard would allow you to purchase WoW tokens inside of WoW Classic for gold, thus creating something never done in Vanilla: legally buying gold with $$$.

I don't see how it's obvious Classic would have "access to tokens" when the games will be completely separate besides both being in the Battle.net app. They would be completely different games (Like Starcraft and Starcraft II), they would have to literally write the code for tokens into WoW Classic. It's completely separate these games.

Now if you meant, based on the model proposed by many that "access" to Classic will require a current Retail WoW subscription and in that way is this "access" - that's a whole separate issue we are not discussing, because again we are talking about if Blizzard will allow players to legally buy gold with $$ through a WoW token in Classic, which I can all but see them doing if they wanted to make as much money as they could from Classic. Unfortunately.
    Last edited by Forgon; 2017-12-10 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    You seem to be comparing legal gold selling to no gold selling. I agree that that one would be a no brainer. But thats not one of the actual options we have.
    I never said that, yet you're making a black or white comparison yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    You will either have legal gold selling or chinese gold farmers. The question is, which one is worse. And that is an actual interesting question you need a lot of data to answer.
    It's not "legal" or "illegal". Those don't occur at the same rate. I don't have any data to back up my claims, but so many more people would rather buy an official accessible blizzard endorsed "product" with no risks attached.

Yes, and blizzard knew that the advantages outweighed the impact in live, which is why they will put it in classic too.
    "knew" LMAO give me a break. It was the easiest decision for them, it earns them easy money and they don't have to police gold sellers anymore. They just had to word the issue in a way that convinces people that it's a good thing, so that there wouldn't be a backlash. You speak like they have a board of statisticians that brainstormed for years on whether this is a good idea or not for the game itself. Their only interest is making more money.

Yes, and blizzard knew that the advantages outweighed the impact in live, which is why they will put it in classic too.
    I disagree with the impact it will have on Classic.

The WoW token was introduced late late late in the game's history, at a time where so many other Quality of Life changes already eroded much of what made the game what it was in Vanilla.

The impact Tokens could have on Classic would be unprecedented, because it literally is unprecedented in that you can't compare the effects of when the Token was released on Retail to how it would have impacted Vanilla if it was released then.

I mean like I said people bought gold in Vanilla WoW, in fact a lot of people did, so much that it was a huge and growing industry.

and yet people still remember Vanilla very fondly. So I really don't think it's going to kill the game, and although I disagree with it, I think blizzard it going to introduce tokens. I would like to play in a WoW where nobody did anything shady and everyone competed on an even playing field, but that isn't ever going to happen.
    I really don't think anything can kill Classic, I think people will still play it even if LFR is introduced. Hell, I'm one who thinks Blizzard will implement the WoW token, but I don't think it's because it will make the game better, I think they will do it for greed, because I think it will quite adversely affect the Vanilla experience they wish to capture.

So I don't think people always buying gold mattered, I think it's the greed that is the major decision on why Blizzard will implement the legal buying of gold via Tokens.

It's not "legal" or "illegal". Those don't occur at the same rate. I don't have any data to back up my claims, but so many more people would rather buy an official accessible blizzard endorsed "product" with no risks attached.
    Oh okay. It always takes a couple of posts to figure out what the other person is actually thinking I guess :>
    I definetely agree with the idea that, just because blizzard does it, doesnt make gold selling a good thing. Its still bad, just maybe less bad than the other kind. And if you a right and making it legal does increase the rate gold is sold by a huge percentage, I would definetely prefer them to focus on better spam protection or find other solutions to make it harder to sell gold.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

I really don't think anything can kill Classic, I think people will still play it even if LFR is introduced. Hell, I'm one who thinks Blizzard will implement the WoW token, but I don't think it's because it will make the game better, I think they will do it for greed, because I think it will quite adversely affect the Vanilla experience they wish to capture.

So I don't think people always buying gold mattered, I think it's the greed that is the major decision on why Blizzard will implement the legal buying of gold via Tokens.
    with the way you put it, it seems like if blizz said to play classic you will need a sub thats them also being greedy?

if blizz puts in a wow token they are being greedy if gold sellers turn up arent they also being greedy?

Dang, you see I was afraid people were not reading the question and thinking the question was "Do you want WoW tokens" not what it actually is "Do you think Blizzard will implement WoW Tokens" - as in, is Blizzard going to do it "for reasons."

And as much as I don't want them to, I think they will because there's a huge market for it.
    They're aiming to get players from vanilla servers with Classic,so I think they want to get an experience as close as possible to get them interested
    WoW tokens would ruin that and is too much of a risk imo

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yes, indirectly since I'm pretty sure Classic and Retail will be the same subscription.
    im sure of that as well, but the amount of people on blizz forums going unless its free to play i will stick to private servers is crazy.

I don't want any added features, but there are those that argue some things will inevitably change like having the battle.net integration. Which I don't see how Blizzard will release Classic without that integration unfortunately.
    It depends how Classic is released, in terms of costs/fees.

If it's tacked on as value-add to a live account... it probably won't have separate token functionality.

If it's released as a separate subscription... it probably will eventually.

If you think about it, Classic did have functionality similar to the token, but it was offline. As other posters already noted, there were lots of 3rd party sellers (heck, there still are). The token itself doesn't change availability of p2w gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbjorn View Post
    It depends how Classic is released, in terms of costs/fees.
    if they had any sense one sub would do both, if they attach a seperate price to it and have 2 subs if you wanted to play both classic and retail i know alot of people would go nah i will just stick to retail. alot will try it for nostalgia but not if they have to pay extra just to play classic

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    The only way it can work is if Blizzard makes Classic part of the standard WoW subscription. Then if you buy a token on the modern server you automatically get access to the Classic server but it shouldn't be possible to transfer gold to the Classic server. Otherwise it defeats the point of a vanilla server. Sure there were gold sellers in vanilla but it was a bannable offense and I saw people being suspended or banned for buying gold.
    Not to mention the price was insane for what gold you actually got.