Class Fantasy of Mistweaver Monk

Recently started a mistweaver, and my question is...what are they?

Brewmaster Monk is suppose to be the "Drunken Master", like the Jackie Chan movie. With an elusive, confusion based fighting style.

Windwalker Monk is suppose to be your typical "Shaolin Monk", disciplined and beating people up with your bare fist.

And Mistweaver Monk...what are they suppose to be?

According to wowpedia, Mistweaver is "A healer who mixes traditional herbal medicine with Pandaren martial arts." It sounds to me that Mistweaver is suppose to resemble Chinese physician, utilizing traditional herbal medicine, Die-da (Bonesetting), Qi manipulation, acupuncture etcetc to heal people. But in game, all we do is shooting mist to heal, and I have no idea what those "Mist" is suppose to be. Healing energy/Positive Qi?

Am I missing something here?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know the element Spirit? You are manipulating it with Nature damage and naming all this stuff "mistweaving".

It's a complex art.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    You know the element Spirit? You are manipulating it with Nature damage and naming all this stuff "mistweaving".

It's a complex art.
    Element Spirit? Isn't that suppose to be Shaman's turf?

Or is there some sort of undefined "Mist Elemental" that I am not aware of?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    Element Spirit? Isn't that suppose to be Shaman's turf?

Or is there some sort of undefined "Mist Elemental" that I am not aware of?
    Spirit! Spirit, or Chi, as the Pandaren call it. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Chi

(note: It has no relation whatsoever with the Nature magicks, the positioning is simply convenient)

See the chart? Spirit. Pandaren call it Chi. You could call it Hot Dog Magic - names are just names. You, as a Mistweaver, is manipulating this thing, because you are awesome, since the Mist you Weave is misterious and powerful. My guess is that it combines Nature and Spirit powers to heal and give calm. Shamans can also deal with Spirit I guess, but you have your own techniques.

Forfeit the names, embrace the power.

You already answer your own question. Also all monk use spirit element as their source of power.

Deleted
    You can go your way in the RP anyway.

My mistweaver monk is Draenei. She was born on Draenor but lost her parent when she was a very young child. In the orphanage she made a very good friend, around her age. She admired light and Naaru and wanted to become a priestess. She was 14 by the time Velen took the survivors to the Tempest Keep. She and her friend were on the Exodar when it crashed. Unfortunately, part of the ship they were into crashed on the Bloodmyst Isle, far from any other Draenei. They tried to find a way but got attacked by a satyr. Her friend wanted to defend them but was a no match for the demon. My character called for the power of light and Naaru (reference to their racial, Naaru's gift) to heal her dying friend but nothing happened. She was saved by a Pandaren but he could not ressurrect the now dead friend of my character. He could only take her to his small home in the nearby mountains, after they buried the boy. She ate and drank something before falling asleep. The next day she was still exhausted - not physically but mentally. Not only she lost her only family but everything she believed into has failed her. Her new friend, realizing what's going on in her mind, offered her two options - she could either go back to her kin with his help or stay at his place and learn how to be able to defend and heal without relying on anybody or anything. Just like he expected, my character chose the latter. She was intrigued by his style of fighting, by his tales of Pandaria and by something he called chi. He told her that chi is an energy flowing in everyone's body (so I don't follow the canon lore that chi = spirit). With a good training and / or natural talent one can use it to strengthen the body, cast destructive spells (chi bursts etc., potential 4th spec - caster dps) or weave healing misty ribbons. She spent entire BC, WotLK, Cata, MoP and WoD with him (so ~6 years). Once the rumors of Burning Legion invading Azeroth reached them, her master decided that she's ready to move on, meet some new people (not that she has never left the house or has never seen another Draenei for 6 years), bring her new healing skills to the ones that need them and repay the demons for everything she has been through because of them. He also mentioned Sheilun that my character later obtains (I'm not RPing as artifcat wielder with randoms tho). Although she's not convienced, she agrees and that's how her story starts.

The Mists are just Chi, which as others have said, is the element of Spirit. While there is some overlap with Shaman, that isn't unique. Paladins and Priests both use the Light while Demon Hunters and Warlocks both use the Fel, for example.

They're supposed to be mystical Chinese physicians, focusing on positive Chi/Qi and mystical teas (Mana Tea, Thunder Focus Tea, etc)
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post

It's a complex art.
    While I agree to the statement, it bugs me that Azeroth is supposedly lacking in the department of vast amounts of Spirit flowing around. May explain why there isn't that much monks, though.
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halwyn View Post
    While I agree to the statement, it bugs me that Azeroth is supposedly lacking in the department of vast amounts of Spirit flowing around. May explain why there isn't that much monks, though.
    Monks don't use ambient Spirit. They use internal Spirit.

Medical Marijuana. Why do you think Pandaren are so relaxed and have the munchies all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Monks don't use ambient Spirit. They use internal Spirit.
    That raises some questions about Shaohao enveloping the whole continent in mists, strong enough to shield it from the worldwide cataclysm. I can hardly imagine any mortal possesing that much power.
    The only plausible thing I can come up with for this model is that he merged with Spirit (the element) and was able to manipulate it because he did.
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halwyn View Post
    That raises some questions about Shaohao enveloping the whole continent in mists, strong enough to shield it from the worldwide cataclysm. I can hardly imagine any mortal possesing that much power.
    The only plausible thing I can come up with for this model is that he merged with Spirit (the element) and was able to manipulate it because he did.
    That's kinda what he did. Shaohao's spirit became one with Pandaria.

7+ Year Old Account
    While all monks use "chi" - also known as the elemental energy/magic/force known as Spirit - the Mistweavers take it a step further by manifesting the chi into a physical form: mist. They use this chi-empowered mist to heal their allies.

The examples you gave about Brewmasters and Windwalkers - drunken master and Shaolin monk tropes respectfully - fit but I don't think you can tie down the Mistweaver spec to another such trope/archetype.

Or maybe you can? I can't think of any examples.

The way I've always seen monks, in regards to class fantasy, is how each spec utilizes their martial arts and power of chi. The Brewmaster uses chi to augment his various brews to withstand damage (or avoid it), the Windwalker uses the chi to enhance his prowess in the martial arts, and the Mistweaver uses the chi to physically heal allies.