View Poll Results: Will Classic Servers save WoW?

Voters
339. This poll is closed
  • Yes

129 38.05%
  • No

210 61.95%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    Classic servers won't even have 100k after the dust settles
    I agree with this, possibly even less tbh. I mean think about, we played classic WoW, back in 2004. Yes, we played it for 2 years until TBC (my personal favorite expansion), but I couldn't imagine playing classic for any length of time. It would literally be the epitome of why I can't stand Diablo, running the same thing, every. single. time. For eternity.

its simply a fan service that blizzard is going to cash in on. they saw an opportunity to make some more money so they are doing it. nothing more than that. wow doesnt need 'saving'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    WoW Classic is proof WoW is its last days. Those of you who dont realize this are new to video game history. Bkizzard is giving fans the things they've asked for for years because BfA is probably the last expansion.

BfA is basically "resetting" the world. After all the invasions and saving the world, they are getting back to Horde vs Alliance. They will proba ly wrap up most heroes stories. Especially Sylvannis as she is the last of the original WC3 heroes.

After that. WoW 2 is announced.
    If you are serious about this post, then YOU do not understand the gaming industry lol
    Blizzard doensn't give classic because the "fans" want classic, they are making classic because their analysts tell them it is profitable.
    They will continue supporting World of Warcraft as long as it is profitable.

WoW Classic is proof WoW is its last days. Those of you who dont realize this are new to video game history. Bkizzard is giving fans the things they've asked for for years because BfA is probably the last expansion.

BfA is basically "resetting" the world. After all the invasions and saving the world, they are getting back to Horde vs Alliance. They will proba ly wrap up most heroes stories. Especially Sylvannis as she is the last of the original WC3 heroes.

Uhm.... Jaina, Thrall, Tyrande, Malfurion to name a few and hell they aren't just bringing back Warcraft 3 heroes by the look of it. Alleria and Turalyon are 2 prime examples. So that statement of Sylvanas being "the last WC3 hero" when there were plenty of others even in Reign of Chaos is incorrect. Frozen Throne while an expansion is still Warcraft 3 so not counting that is just disingenuous.

So yeah Warcraft 3 might have been what a few of these heroes made their debut in but to claim that you should only look at WC3 with this expansion rather than Warcraft in general is silly. The whole Alliance vs Horde conflict goes right back to the first game Orcs and Humans. Plus are we forgetting that Warcraft 2 heroes have made a comeback as well?

But yeah sure WoW is on it's last leg because they are introducing a feature because of popular demand....

And no WoW 2 will not happen as long as WoW is still profitable for them. Which it continually is each quarter. Classic is being maintained because it's easy to do so rather than make a completely new game.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-11 at 03:46 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Nah. The problem with this logic is that Blizzard has several sources of revenue now. Runescape (who has two versions of the game) and Everquest (1/2, since Next died) only really had those games. Sony unloaded the EQ franchise onto Daybreak, but aside from perpetual expansions on both games, there just isn't the draw to them, because they didn't really evolve.

Blizzard though, has constantly evolved WoW through the years (much to the chagrin of many), but they also have revenue from Overwatch, Hearthstone and Heros of the Storm, which has allowed them not only to create Classic Servers (which will bring back revenue of those who don't like where Retail is), but to make Starcraft 2 free, outright (while the Remastered version of Starcraft 1 isn't free).

Battle for Azeroth isn't going to be the last Expansion by a far margin, and Blizzard isn't looking to lose revenue by making a WoW 2, which is precisely what happened with Everquest. It has a following, and it split the base, but ultimately, Sony lost so much money with the franchise they got rid of it.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Canderous1 View Post
    its simply a fan service that blizzard is going to cash in on. they saw an opportunity to make some more money so they are doing it. nothing more than that. wow doesnt need 'saving'.
    Yea, I never understood people saying WoW is dying. I swear I say this one a year (and this is at whatever sub numbers are being discussed) that every single game out there would kill for even 10% of WoW's numbers.

Wow dont need saving...

I have played continuously since vanilla. Wow has evolved, player find the appeal where it is.

Vanilla as it was, was fun then. Nowadays whilst they can keep almost everything intact, some little things need changing that cannot alter vanilla (such as making some specs viable, aoe looting, flight points contineous from one end to another)

Wow will evolve more, I can foresee the death of hardcore "run x plit raids" raiding. May be a lower number mythic raiding? But the top cannot carry on with x split raids.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Yea, I never understood people saying WoW is dying. I swear I say this one a year (and this is at whatever sub numbers are being discussed) that every single game out there would kill for even 10% of WoW's numbers.
    It's obvious WoW will continue for many years, but pretending to not understand the idea (even if it's exagerated and even if such decline is not unexpected considering the age of the game) about WoW having lost more than 60 % of its peak playerbase looks a lot like playing dumb.

What a dumb thread...in order to be saved, you must be in the position to need to be saved...WoW isn't in that position at all. All these wow is dying threads are really starting to get old.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    It's obvious WoW will continue for many years, but pretending to not understand the idea (even if it's exagerated and even if such decline is not unexpected considering the age of the game) about WoW having lost more than 60 % of its peak playerbase looks a lot like playing dumb.
    It's peak player base was almost ten years ago....name me one game that can keep 60% of it's peak player base ten years later? I guess I'll be waiting for a while on that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    What I really think about Retail is that it creates ideal conditions to foster arrogant pricks such as yourself.
    So the person who says people can like different sort of things is the arrogant one.. and you, the person who claims WoW needs saving in the first place is not? Sometimes I wish I could just take a vacation in the brain of the simple minded.

Do you even know what the word arrogant means or do you just use it to describe people that don't agree with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyz View Post
    Do you even know what the word arrogant means or do you just use it to describe people that don't agree with you?
    Do you? Aside from that, that person said other things.

if they are going to implement "classic WoW" warts and all, I severely doubt it'll do much of anything. maybe be the dustbin for all those elitist "LOL vanilla is hard guyz" jackasses, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You won't even notice that the game is dying because you have lfd, cross-realm BGs,zone-sharding and the most important Connected Realms. Technologically, the devs has been preparing for this since the launch.
    Last edited by Mushkins; 2017-12-11 at 04:47 PM.

I think that it's quite the opposite and sub numbers has been plunging with WoD speed since 7.2.
    Whose ass did you pull that out of?

No but it'll pump in some free money that they can spend on the new version of the game. A pretty decent way of tricking people into funding BfA and future expansions imo.

You won't even notice that the game is dying because you have lfd, cross-realm BGs,zone-sharding and the most important Connected Realms. Technologically, the devs has been preparing for this since the launch.
    I mean, WoW has been dying for the past 10 years and 3 months. So this is nothing new.

WoW doesn't need saving. Vanilla was fun for its time - but a re-release will not save anything.

If WoW needs saving it would be with fresher ideas, there has been some reused raids, bosses, continents - and zones; but if you want to find new flavours vanilla is not the solution.

I assume Blizzard will still benefit financially from it - in some way; both paid services and reusing contents in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    No it's going to kill WoW Retail faster instead.

-It will separate the players.
    -It will create a wars or barrier between Vanilla and Retail.
    -It will break the community.

Community is the most important thing in a game like WoW.

Just my opinion.
    Community is important, but looking at posts I don't see that splitting off the Vanilla community creates a loss for WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    That would already be big enough to be a large success from a financial PoV.
    But it wouldn't be considered successful by Blizzard standards

Rabid legacy fans are acting like Classic servers are going to have the same impact as Starcraft or Overwatch when realistically it will be lucky to match Diablo 3s current numbers

since when is Classic about saving WoW???

Classic is about Blizzard giving something that has been asking for years for them to provide legit Vanilla servers, and probably saving money with all their lawsuits to close private realms.

Nothing can save WoW, but Blizz can make it somewhat enjoyable again.

It's possible, but I doubt it. The one thing you have to realize... the current devs cannot "make a name" for themselves just creating amazing content based off of the game when it was truly amazing.

So they keep trying to add crap into the game and change it... hoping they'll it the motherload of great ideas. Most of them have been pretty bad... and some of them downright detrimental to the game.

These same devs will not admit, even when Classic becomes more profitable than current wow, that 12 -14 year old game design is better than their "new" ideas. "You think you do, but you don't." is the mentality that will innovate WoW into ground.

I am so looking forward to Classic... but simply have no interest in finishing out Legion or buying BfA.