Windows Mode for WoW or anything else.

Hi everybody,

I play windows mode, been playing windows mode for too many years now but I want to change something.

When I open the game the windows looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/fJtew (you can see my desktop on the sides)

After I maximize it it looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/h0cuB (basically a full maximized window but NOT fullscreen mode)

What I am looking for is to open the game starting like second picture right away.

How do i do it?

Its not full-windowed mode, I dont want to play full windowed.

Posted this here cause I believe is something related to computers and not wow itself.

When I right click my WoW shortcut and go to properties I can open it as "maximized" "normal" or "minimized" but none of these buttons make a difference.

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Xeh.- View Post
    Hi everybody,

I play windows mode, been playing windows mode for too many years now but I want to change something.

When I open the game the windows looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/fJtew (you can see my desktop on the sides)

After I maximize it it looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/h0cuB (basically a full maximized window but NOT fullscreen mode)

What I am looking for is to open the game starting like second picture right away.

How do i do it?

Its not full-windowed mode, I dont want to play full windowed.

Posted this here cause I believe is something related to computers and not wow itself.

When I right click my WoW shortcut and go to properties I can open it as "maximized" "normal" or "minimized" but none of these buttons make a difference.

Help!
    Go to WoW graphic settings and choose Windowed Borderless.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Towstie View Post
    Go to WoW graphic settings and choose Windowed Borderless.
    This is not the same, as I assume OP still wants to have the task-bar at the bottom.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    This is not the same, as I assume OP still wants to have the task-bar at the bottom.
    That is correct.

This is the chain of events currently happening:

Double click WoW icon---> launcher opens, press play---> windowed game opens and I press "maximize" on top right corner of the screen---> game goes full mode with taskbar showing and top of the window frame showing also.

What I want to do is remove last step by having the windows opening maximized.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is your resolution in game is set to the monitors resolution and since it's having to compensate for your title bar and start menu it's bringing in the sides to keep it's aspect ratio. By maximizing at that resolution in windowed mode it's just stretching the image.

My honest recommendation would just to play in Borderless Window like everyone else and hit the Windows key on your keyboard to bring up the start menu when you need it.

If it's honestly that hard to do though, the only way to fix your issue would be to see if a resolution exists in game that would compensate for the start menu and title bar. May be possible to create a custom resolution. Not sure though.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

That is correct.
    can i ask why? in windowed fullscreen you can just slap the windows key on your keyboard and the taskbar appears. heck you can probably find a windows setting that keeps the taskbar always on top so it would be visible even then if that is what you really need

Its not about the taskbar, its about the screen size. I find that size to be perfect.

Something else tho, when i change my resolution it always display "custom". Maybe because I play in windows mode?

Not sure.

I just want the game to open maximized, stretched or w/e.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its not about the taskbar, its about the screen size. I find that size to be perfect.

Something else tho, when i change my resolution it always display "custom". Maybe because I play in windows mode?

Not sure.

If it's not about the taskbar then just set it to fullscreen windowed and call it done. The resolution will be the resolution you set in windows and you'll be done. No wasted real estate.

With windowed mode it's going to always open to the resolution you set in the game itself. I believe the default title bar and start menu are 30 pixels (could be wrong but you could verify), so with windowed mode you would need a resolution of ~1920x1020 in order it to open up the way you want.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2017-12-11 at 05:47 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    If it's not about the taskbar then just set it to fullscreen windowed and call it done. The resolution will be the resolution you set in windows and you'll be done. No wasted real estate.

With windowed mode it's going to always open to the resolution you set in the game itself. I believe the default title bar and start menu are 30 pixels (could be wrong but you could verify), so with windowed mode you would need a resolution of ~1920x1020 in order it to open up the way you want.
    Thats the whole "problem".

I like the game taking up the space it takes with the taskbar and the frame of a window.

Just want to cut off the part where i press "maximize". It might not be possible.

Maximizing the window is like forcing the windows to stretch, im fine with that. Simply wanted to avoid that step every time I open the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Also i forgot about something.

When I open the game the resolution is always "custom" for some reason. Sometimes I change that to 1920 but when I open the game again it goes back to custom

Whats up with that? My guess is that it turns to custom when I start touching the windows frame.

Ill try setting a res, closing the game and opening it again without moving anything to see if thats the reason.

Not sure.

Sounds like you're being REALLY picky. A little extra vertical space is not going to change anything.

And it says "custom" because that's not one of the standard resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob View Post
    Sounds like you're being REALLY picky. A little extra vertical space is not going to change anything.

And it says "custom" because that's not one of the standard resolutions.
    Yes I am being stupidly picky, wont argue. Here posting to know if its possible to get away with my pickyness or if its not possible.

There's an addon that will allow you to change the render area (ie the area that the 3d world is rendered, not the UI)

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/sunn-viewport-art

That would allow you to fully customize how much screen real estate it uses up, while still allowing your UI elements to exist outside that utilizing the full monitor (if you want). You may need to install additional addons to customize where your UI elements area, depends how picky you are about those.

When I open the game the resolution is always "custom" for some reason. Sometimes I change that to 1920 but when I open the game again it goes back to custom

Whats up with that? My guess is that it turns to custom when I start touching the windows frame.
    your monitors resolution is 1920x1080 - by playing in a window, the taskbar and titlebar are taking up pixels, so it is 1920x900 or something - a non-standard resolution that you wont find in any list, so it just says Custom instead.

i think the addon mentioned in the post directly above this is probably the best solution to your pickiness, as i don't think you'll find a way to auto-maximise wow every time. i am surprised windows doesn't remember and keep it maximised though

10+ Year Old Account
    I might work or it might not but try to open the game in windowed, then open something like a browser window. Drag the browser window all the way over to one side of screen so that it triggers whatever the feature is called when it automatically resizes itself to take up 50% of the screen. Then select WoW to take up the other half. Hover your mouse between the two programs and a little resize bar should pop up, move it so WoW takes up more screen space.

Again might work or it might not. Its how I resize GW2 when I want to play windowed.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

you could try a viewport addon. change in game view size. i used to do that. then put minimap and dmg meters on "extra" space.