Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I had this problem when I fell asleep watching hulu. My TV would turn off but my roku wouldn't so it would just auto play for quite some time before I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by killerlee View Post
    As my title says, My wife and I and my 5yr old are supposedly using over 600 GB of Data on our internet usage per month, the bill is getting outrageous.

The things we do
    I play online games around 6 hours a day
    she does online surveys/Web browsing around 12 hrs per day
    as far netflix/hulu etc, we maybe use 5 hours a day of that
    My Son uses youtube or Roblox online gaming maybe 7 hours a day.
    On top of that we sometimes download updates to games or software, etc but nothing to excessive.

We have 2 Rokus/3 computers/2 phones connected to the Internet but they arent always in use or downloading.

I checked my Router and the only things connected are the following items i listed above.
    I thought someone was stealing my net because my usage was so high so i changed the password on the router and the login to the router itself.

I checked with my ISP they said its all my usage, but i don't believe that. Am i wrong or right??! Where the hell am i using this at?!

My current usage for the month, we are 12 days into this month, we have currently used 377 GB, which they say on their website is equal to

101 HD movies (2 hours running time)
    or
    19322 Hours of Online Gaming
    or
    48305 MP3 songs

Help!!!!
    Thanks!
    You can try installing Glasswire (its free to use) on your PCs to see what kind of traffic is coming out of them. For the Rokus and any consoles, its much harder to monitor data usage. I would unplug the Rokus and not use the phones on your wifi network, instead use the cellular network as much as possible to see if the data usage drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Yea and Canada is still pretty trash compared to the Scandinavian countries and South Korea/Japan, that's where we are aiming but we're a big country so the geographic challenges of the infrastructure here will probably never quite match what the more population dense countries can do.
    Japanese, Taiwanese & Korean internet makes me drool. They have it so easy over there! If only we in the west also invested heavily in telecommuni- Oh.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyflute View Post
    Man, what a maroon. Go back to 1994, the internet is integrated in everything we do now. Being disconnected from electronics is the equivalent of being disconnected from society at this point. You should evolve, and stop spouting judgmental drivel until you do.
    This is such a shame. I wish we could go back to a world without socials or smartphones.. I really do.. not that I use socials a lot, I only have a FB account and don't even watch it every day but yea.. the world didn't become a beter place that is for sure. My kid is 1 year in a few days... I keep praying that by the time he understands stuff in a few years, social media and everything around it will have faded a little. Nothing lasts forever so it will pass eventually..

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    You can try installing Glasswire (its free to use) on your PCs to see what kind of traffic is coming out of them. For the Rokus and any consoles, its much harder to monitor data usage. I would unplug the Rokus and not use the phones on your wifi network, instead use the cellular network as much as possible to see if the data usage drops.
    We got the Google Wifi router. We have 3 of them connected so that we can actually have decent wifi throughout the house. 2 upstairs - one in the basement. My hubby just has an app on his phone and it shows every device that is connected and how much they are using. He can also set up parental controls/time settings that are device specific along with just shutting a device's access off instantly if desired.

We used Glasswire on our PCs when we first starting having bandwidth usage issues but we quickly figured out it wasn't our PCs unless we were actually downloading large new games etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    This is such a shame. I wish we could go back to a world without socials or smartphones.. I really do.. not that I use socials a lot, I only have a FB account and don't even watch it every day but yea.. the world didn't become a beter place that is for sure. My kid is 1 year in a few days... I keep praying that by the time he understands stuff in a few years, social media and everything around it will have faded a little. Nothing lasts forever so it will pass eventually..
    There's plenty of technologically isolated places in the world. Conclaves of Luddites eagerly waiting with a hammer to smash your phone. Bail if you like!
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyflute View Post
    Man, what a maroon. Go back to 1994, the internet is integrated in everything we do now. Being disconnected from electronics is the equivalent of being disconnected from society at this point. You should evolve, and stop spouting judgmental drivel until you do.
    People are going to have a hard time adjusting if something catastrophic ever happens. Hooefully you're going to be too busy worrying about food/water/shelter to cry about internet use...it is truly distirbing how addicted some people are to their electronics...

Anyhoo, I think the OPs use is a a tad excessive. Fiive year olds do not need that much screen time. Is everyone in your family unemployed, to be gaming and watching videos so much?

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    There's plenty of technologically isolated places in the world. Conclaves of Luddites eagerly waiting with a hammer to smash your phone. Bail if you like!
    I don't want tech isolated. I have been using computers since the early eighties and love them.. also life isn't that simple as "just move".

Quote Originally Posted by killerlee View Post
    As my title says, My wife and I and my 5yr old are supposedly using over 600 GB of Data on our internet usage per month, the bill is getting outrageous.

The things we do
    I play online games around 6 hours a day
    she does online surveys/Web browsing around 12 hrs per day
    as far netflix/hulu etc, we maybe use 5 hours a day of that
    My Son uses youtube or Roblox online gaming maybe 7 hours a day.
    On top of that we sometimes download updates to games or software, etc but nothing to excessive.

We have 2 Rokus/3 computers/2 phones connected to the Internet but they arent always in use or downloading.

I checked my Router and the only things connected are the following items i listed above.
    I thought someone was stealing my net because my usage was so high so i changed the password on the router and the login to the router itself.

I checked with my ISP they said its all my usage, but i don't believe that. Am i wrong or right??! Where the hell am i using this at?!

My current usage for the month, we are 12 days into this month, we have currently used 377 GB, which they say on their website is equal to

101 HD movies (2 hours running time)
    or
    19322 Hours of Online Gaming
    or
    48305 MP3 songs

Help!!!!
    Thanks!
    I game a lot, stream movies and the most I use is 200gb tops. Maybe your router will meter your connections so you can see what it is?

Ahhh... I remember the wonderful old days when we were charged per minute on a dial-up connection. That caused a few "woops" moments in our household.

Ultimate solution: turn your internet off.

Weaker solution: only have it on during certain times of the day/night.

Corollary to weaker solution: don't be using it on so many devices; maybe sit down together to watch a movie?

Softer solution: see if you can renegotiate with your provider.

Best solution: bankruptcy.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Damn, here even 4g is unlimited for like 15e a month.. Last time i heard someone having a cap was cable internet in 1999/2000.

Ew, please get another internet provider that doesn't make you pay for data usage. If you can't then that's really awful

10+ Year Old Account
    Install some variation of bandwidth tracker on your PC and keep it in the background for a month or two, e.g NetLimiter.

It's probably the extensive video streaming that's the main bandwidth hog here though.
    Last edited by zealo; 2017-12-11 at 08:28 PM.

i can use or download as many GBs as i want for only 10 euros/month. plus we have really good net connections in romania.
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Deleted
    Limiting my use of youtube to lowest possible quality and watching 80% of the normal time i used about 60gb a month and with not limiting myself at lowerst quality it would be about 80gb. Now if you use lets say 480p and lower and you get that 80gb thats already 320gb. Now if other members of the family are also watching alot of youtube lets say each of them watches half of what id watch but theres two of them thats another 320gb. already at 640gb/month and we didnt even start downloading or patching a fev games. So lets add another 20gb's on other things and there you go 640gb. Ofcourse you might watch less than me but standard quality of the vids when set to best possible quality can go higher than 720 to 1080 or even 1440p.

Thats where your data ussage might come from... and maybe you got a torrent running seeding data all the time because you forget to turn that off after the download finishes.

All in all its not hard to use 660gb/month for the whole familly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations OP! Youre part of a botnet.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Ha, thanks for the heads up. I’ll probably just convince my husband that this is another reason to live in Scotland after he gets out of the Military.
    Do that, I grew up outside Aberdeen - Scotland's a beautiful country - it will be a great experience for you both
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    People are going to have a hard time adjusting if something catastrophic ever happens. Hooefully you're going to be too busy worrying about food/water/shelter to cry about internet use...it is truly distirbing how addicted some people are to their electronics...

Anyhoo, I think the OPs use is a a tad excessive. Fiive year olds do not need that much screen time. Is everyone in your family unemployed, to be gaming and watching videos so much?
    That's what happens when you live in a small town with next to nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    20 euros a month for unlimited internet for me, and been that way for 10 years. Buy an internet plan that isn't from dark ages, and save some money by doing so.
    That doesn't exist in NA. I'm paying 75 canadian bucks for unlimited data, it's much cheaper than going over the limit, that's where you get R A P E D.

On topic: as people stated, netflix and youtube use a lot more data than you think and than what your isp says.
    Also never underestimate how much facebook and your friends want to screw you. Every stupid video playing on the wall are all using data, it's just streaming video like on youtube.
    Many games have tiny patches that download while you play and you may not notice them.
    All your cell phones also download stuff while idling. It may not be huge, but it all adds up.
    Data usage goes by much faster than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Wait... waaaaait... You pay for data usage? What are you using, mobile internet? Or is the US just this shitty?

I can use as much data as I ever want, it will never effect my monthly bill.
    Aye in the US you generally have a Data Limit that if you exceed you pay extra for every gig you go over for me for example I get around 1000 Gig per month to use before I am fined for going over. There are some Unlimited plans but generally those download speeds are like 7 down at the best and think when we had that it was like 30 bucks or so a month for that.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016