Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Take up a hobby. Learn woodworking, home repair, sculpting, painting. Buy a telescope or a microscope. Create art, learn to play a musical instrument. Take up a second language. Go to the library and get some more books, I'm sure you haven't read all the books in the world...

This is why I don't want to be a parent, having these sorts of talks annoy me. I feel like people should already know there's stuff to do other than the internet.
    But but, I need to get online to stream woodworking, sculpting, and painting videos! My telescope also needs a link to GPS and telemetry data so it can auto-track celestial objects. A guitar costs money, and so do crafting supplies, and I'll need to stream videos for that too. And I'll need to be online to see what books I'm supposed to read!

...you know this is sarcasm.

Everyone should seriously attempt a month where they do nothing online except check email.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    We have 5 of us using the internet...all adults....and had to up our plan to unlimited data for an extra 50 bucks a month. It was streaming...mainly streaming that was the culprit. But if you really have a 5 year old.....5? You sure you got that number right? But a 5 year old playing games for 7 hours a day...that's sad
    jesus are u guys still living in 1998? that was the last time i payed 50 euro / month for unlimited cable internet, and this included cable tv.

not having unlimited internet in 2k17 LuL

also paying more than 100$ for it in 2k17 LuL

fucking US provider monopolies.. scamming ppl that have no other providers to switch to..

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    "Man, you should switch ISP's!" Who would willing use a shitty ISP if they had an option to switch?
    It's almost like a lot of people don't research shit or know their options before signing up with an ISP. It's almost like a lot of people stayed on AOL a lot longer than it was remotely reasonable. It's almost like thousands of people suffered through shitty comcast when there were better options. It's almost like to this very day some dumbshit gets sucked into signing up for satellite internet when there are landline options available.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    But but, I need to get online to stream woodworking, sculpting, and painting videos! My telescope also needs a link to GPS and telemetry data so it can auto-track celestial objects. A guitar costs money, and so do crafting supplies, and I'll need to stream videos for that too. And I'll need to be online to see what books I'm supposed to read!

...you know this is sarcasm.

Everyone should seriously attempt a month where they do nothing online except check email.
    Haha. Me too. Alternatively: start tracking online time and gradually cut back, so it becomes a lifestyle change.

Cold turkey is rough, but the best way to go in regards to kicking almost any habit if you can handle it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    It's almost like a lot of people don't research shit or know their options before signing up with an ISP. It's almost like a lot of people stayed on AOL a lot longer than it was remotely reasonable. It's almost like thousands of people suffered through shitty comcast when there were better options. It's almost like to this very day some dumbshit gets sucked into signing up for satellite internet when there are landline options available.
    My impression of people using satellite internet is that most of them live in rural areas where landline isn't an option.

Even in Portland, I don't think we have a choice between too many providers. Comcast and CenturyLink, not sure the rest. We were going to get Google Fiber but it got scrapped (sadface).

I've been on CenturyLink most of my time in Portland, Comcast's poop reputation is deserved.

Deleted
    I'm sorry, but I can't take you seriously. I am highly certain there are other things that interest you besides the internet. If you're being honest, I honestly feel bad for you. I hope nothing bad happens to you, and that you never lose your precious internet access, otherwise you're going to be in a world of hurt.
    If I lived in a bigger town there would be something to do. As it stands I wake up in the morning, eat breakfast, go to work. When I get home it's dark outside, there are no bars, there are no bowling halls, no gym, no swimming hall. 2 weeks every month I barely meet my husband because I'm working 7-16 and he's working 14-23. Most of my friends doesn't live here, they live in the bigger town which I can't afford to travel back and forth all the time to spend time with them. Fun things I do in my free time is watch series on netflix or hbo, either alone or with my husband if he's got time for it or play games with my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    US internet is expensive and poor because of just how huge the country is and how much it costs to maintain that infrastructure for companies. Can't really compare it to various penny-sized countries, which usually have much better internet, simply because you have much less to cover and maintain keeping costs down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    US internet is expensive and poor because of just how huge the country is and how much it costs to maintain that infrastructure for companies. Can't really compare it to various penny-sized countries, which usually have much better internet, simply because you have much less to cover and maintain keeping costs down.
    AS if there isn't also a massive difference in market sizes to make up the difference.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Haha. Me too. Alternatively: start tracking online time and gradually cut back, so it becomes a lifestyle change.

Cold turkey is rough, but the best way to go in regards to kicking almost any habit if you can handle it.
    I use the internet too much, I'll be the first to admit. And if I'm not, I'm probably back to working 100+ hours per week. I suck at idle time.

But somehow in there, I still manage to read books, the news, do a crossword, mess around on my guitar, meet up with friends IRL.

This isn't really a criticism of anyone's lifestyle. Just an observation that there are other ways.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    AS if there isn't also a massive difference in market sizes to make up the difference.......
    You underestimate the costs of maintaining and upgrading infrastructure, especially in every Springfield and Greenville in the middle of nowhere. It is challenge on a whole other level compared to small countries.

Furthermore, just like insurance companies having insurance companies, your ISPs use services of other ISPs. These are not free and usually metered.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-12-11 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    20 euros a month for unlimited internet for me, and been that way for 10 years. Buy an internet plan that isn't from dark ages, and save some money by doing so.
    Internet in the US is terrible. In most areas there aren't viable options, but nowhere, even in the biggest markets, would you be able to find something even 1/4 decent for 20 euros.

10+ Year Old Account
    You underestimate the costs of maintaining and upgrading infrastructure, especially in every Springfield and Greenville in the middle of nowhere. It is challenge on a whole other level compared to small countries.

Furthermore, just like insurance companies having insurance companies, your ISPs use services of other ISPs. These are not free and usually metered.
    I used to work for a major power supplier and was trained in disaster recovery of infrastructure......

https://gizmodo.com/americas-interne...e-b-1057686215

Turns out that internet speed has a LOT more to do with wealth then population density.

I mean we can run hundreds of communication lines across oceans and have those work great...but yeah...running internet across a mountain is just beyond our capabilities >.<
    Last edited by Wiyld; 2017-12-11 at 10:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

People are going to have a hard time adjusting if something catastrophic ever happens. Hooefully you're going to be too busy worrying about food/water/shelter to cry about internet use...it is truly distirbing how addicted some people are to their electronics...

Anyhoo, I think the OPs use is a a tad excessive. Fiive year olds do not need that much screen time. Is everyone in your family unemployed, to be gaming and watching videos so much?
    Went 2 weeks w/o internet due to Irma, that's including 1 week of zero power. It sucked, but I lived.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    While electronics and the internet are (or can be...because it's NOT mandatory) connected to every day life now, being constantly connected and spending time online means you're not connecting with or spending time with the people around you. That's a problem.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you HAVE to spend time on it.

Also, if there's anything that is clear about being on the internet....online life and interactions =/=real life.

The fact that anyone has to explain this at all is ridiculous.
    You can easily do both. Our communication era makes it even easier to connect with those around you.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Check your wifi to see if anyone's piggybacking on it. You can probably see a usage graph as well, to try to figure out what's causing it.

Also, don't forget downloading games and patches. I'm currently downloading one of the Arkham games and holy shit it's taking forever... game downloads eat so much bandwidth these days. Blizzard especially, seems like every other day some game needs a fricking patch.

Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Wait... waaaaait... You pay for data usage? What are you using, mobile internet? Or is the US just this shitty?
    Don't know about other countries but usage caps have been the norm in Australia since the dawn of the internet. Some ISPs have unlimited packages but generally you pay a premium.

Yeah, it sucks ass. When Americans talked about having no download caps I used to want to throttle them :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Went 2 weeks w/o internet due to Irma, that's including 1 week of zero power. It sucked, but I lived.

- - - Updated - - -

You can easily do both. Our communication era makes it even easier to connect with those around you.
    There's a pretty big difference between connecting online to set up a date night, friends night out, camping trip, [insert any other kind of social outing] and JUST being online and speaking over social media/ over the internet.

Yes you can do both but that requires you to not be online sometimes so you can physically interact with friends in real life.

Australia's about the same size as mainland US, with less than 1/10th the population, and we're rolling out fibre internet across the whole country. Sure it would be a mammoth task but the US could easily afford it and it'd quickly pay back.

I think the US is just really shiftless and resistant to change. Do you guys have widespread contactless card acceptance yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    The irony is real, I posted in this thread at the beginning and after I got this letter for unlimited internet with a discount xd

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    See i know I'm in the minority with using over 1TB a month. My neighbors next door are elderly and don't use the amount we use. I know a lot of my neighbors don't use anywhere near as much as we do. My friend across the street barely use her computer. Why can't I use their leftovers instead of charging me extra?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Australia's about the same size as mainland US, with less than 1/10th the population, and we're rolling out fibre internet across the whole country. Sure it would be a mammoth task but the US could easily afford it and it'd quickly pay back.

I think the US is just really shiftless and resistant to change. Do you guys have widespread contactless card acceptance yet?
    We are VERY resistent to change. If it wasn't set up a certain way from the beginning, it's not the way it should be done and that's that. There's no changing it or doing anything different. The companies are in the government pockets to make sure things they set up in the beginning never change either.

7 hours of youtube and games a day for a five year old?! ouch! Not here to judge you and there's nohing wrong with watching some cartoons w/e to have some leasure time but that amount could cause quite some attention deficit in pre/school.

Reading this thread makes me realize how privileged I am with my internet! I used to pay for the cheapest package - 15 euros (that's something like 18 dollars) - when I was a student living in another city and it was unlimited! It didn't matter how much I used it, I always paid the same. And it was fast as well!

OP, i think you had many posters way more informed than me giving you an answer already, and I wouldn't be able to give you a better one anyway. Hope you find a solution to your problem!