I am replacing my Acer x34a ultrawide

So as I am using two monitors, it seems my acer x34a doesn't want to play ball with my 27" samsung 75hz second monitor resulting in microstuttering.. I am returning my monitor and planning on getting a 4k 60hz screen instead so we can all just get along.

My question, as I did a lot of research on ultrawides, I did none on 4K.. to help me get started, what's a good monitor that meets the following specs:

60 or 75hz
    BIGGER than a 27". 30"+ or something
    Gsync if possible
    Around the 1000 or lower pricepoint

Thank you!
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2017-12-11 at 03:43 PM.

Deleted
    Check cables are not the cause of the problem first?

If just an excuse to splosh some dosh then my apologies

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't need to return it.

You probably noticed the display with the higher refresh rate seemed to have microstutter with both connected ?

That's because Windows limits the refresh rates of all displays to the lowest refresh rate selected if anything on the lower refresh rate display is animated.

If you're using Windows 10 for games in anything other than exclusive fullscreen this issue is exacerbated as that itself introduces microstutter for some people.

Example,

Main screen is 144hz, secondary is 60. Game runs fine at 144hz, suddenly something is animated on the other display and then the game on the main screen looks like it's suffering from serious microstutter until that animation ends.

The cables may be an issue as well.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-12-11 at 07:13 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Main screen is 144hz, secondary is 60. Game runs fine at 144hz, suddenly something is animated on the other display and then the game on the main screen looks like it's suffering from serious microstutter until that animation ends.
    What do you mean by "animated"? I have a X34 @100hz with Gsync on as my main monitor. I have a 27" Dell Ultrasharp @ 60hz as my secondary monitor. I use it every day with a game on my X34 and video (youtube, plex, twitch, local media, etc) on my 2nd monitor. I don't get microstuttering at all.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    What do you mean by "animated"? I have a X34 @100hz with Gsync on as my main monitor. I have a 27" Dell Ultrasharp @ 60hz as my secondary monitor. I use it every day with a game on my X34 and video (youtube, plex, twitch, local media, etc) on my 2nd monitor. I don't get microstuttering at all.
    I used the term "animated" as a way to share the logic of the cause (not exact) and "microstutter" as a similar example of what it would appear to look like, but not being exact.

That's how Windows handles it though. There is no way you're not suffering from it if something is occurring on the lower refresh rate display, especially if you're watching movies on the lower refresh rate display while doing something on the main display. I've noticed Windows 10 further exacerbates it.

One of the easiest ways to notice the difference is to open a browser on the main display (assuming it has the higher refresh rate), go to a forum where you can scroll up or down a bunch.

Refresh the page, wait a few seconds, then scroll up and down a bunch and it will seem very slick.

Now open a video via a media player on the secondary display and repeat what you did on the main display and you should be able to see the change on the main display while the video is playing.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-12-12 at 08:44 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset