Poll: Have you ever known anyone on welfare or been on it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    I support wellfare for people yes granted that you atleast do something if you are physically and mentally able like say volunteer at your local old folks home to pour coffee or help out at the rec center, I have seen plenty of people with down syndrome doing such work as a way to spent their time and they love helping out and you see them really enjoying themselves when they feel needed.

and for people who have severe medical or psychological problems that prevent them from doing such things yea these people need a helping hand unless you want to look like a society in the dark ages

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Bullshit. If youre a mother with 2 kids you get:

About $500.00 per month in food stamps.
    About $350 in cash assistance
    Free (or ridiculously low rent like $50 per month) housing through the section 8 programT
    Free daycare through the Child Care Network handout
    The LIHEAP heating assistance program
    The On-Track electricity program
    The free cell phone program
    Free healthcare through Gateway, etc... You end up making more than someone making a decent wage
    Well actually I was talking about myself growing up as one of the leeches you mentioned and we never got any of the bullshit you are talking about except Section 8 and maybe 350 for me and an older sister, I think it was about 250 or less in food stamps but that was about it.

But yeah honestly today I kind of wish I did have one of those booklets so I could rip one out and dare you to say something to my face about all the nonsense you just got done complaining about.

And I would put my taxes up against anything you paid any day of the week.

Yes a mother with 2 kids gets what you mentioned but so do elderly, the disabled, senior citizens.

All of whom is money much better spent, than on sports stadiums and tax breaks for corporations to keep jobs in the U.S that end up going to Mexico anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    people on it that are actively looking for a job, or get one but the pay is still below the local poverty line shouldn't loose benefits and thus a net loss on income, that promotes not working while on the system. I"ve know a few people that stayed on the system b.c. getting a job would be a pay cut, what incentive is there to work with that type of system?

No, being required to drain an oh shit fund, sounds logical of course but in reality teaches bad spending. What good did it do me to save, skip out on items and trips i wanted when i had to use the money before i could get any help from a system i was paying into, while another person bought those same things, went on those trips and got help right away. I would have been better off buying things, and taking trips and getting the help faster. Its not like they come into your house and force you to sale the things you have. Hell i maintain a much smaller oh shit fund now because of that, I'd rather get what i want an have it knowing some of it i can flip for profit if needed, or get help from the gov't right away since I wont have money to live off of.

And being a single male.. I got very little, like 200 USD a week and 50.00 a month in food stamps.
    Yes, that is true there is much of a lot of programs that could be fixed, but some aren't interested in that, they are simply bitter because they feel like they are the oly ones paying into a system that gives them the right to judge and look down their nose at people just trying to make it, all the while turning a blind eye to everyone else who's reaching much further into government pockets and producing a hell of a lot less.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well actually I was talking about myself growing up as one of the leeches you mentioned and we never got any of the bullshit you are talking about except Section 8 and maybe 350 for me and an older sister, I think it was about 250 or less in food stamps but that was about it.

But yeah honestly today I kind of wish I did have one of those booklets so I could rip one out and dare you to say something to my face about all the nonsense you just got done complaining about.

Yes a mother with 2 kids gets what you mentioned but so do elderly, the disabled, senior citizens.

All of whom is money much better spent, than on sports stadiums and tax breaks for corporations to keep jobs in the U.S that end up going to Mexico anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that is true there is much of a lot of programs that could be fixed, but some aren't interested in that, they are simply bitter because they feel like they are the oly ones paying into a system that gives them the right to judge and look down their nose at people just trying to make it, all the while turning a blind eye to everyone else who's reaching much further into government pockets and producing a hell of a lot less.
    https://www.shmoop.com/careers/mall-cop/salary.html

Many of the entry level jobs in mall security are part-time hourly positions that require little training or education; most positions aren't going to have salaries in the stratosphere. The average salary is around $25,000, meaning the starting salaries are likely to be even lower than that (source).

Pretty sure most people on this forum pay a lot more taxes then someone that stares at a security screen all day and stuffs his face with donuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I've been on it, worst feeling in the world. I support something like UBI because it get rids of the red tape (which both costs tax money and traps the welfare recipient).
    I agree, because throwing money into a problem money can't solve isn't the answer, but neither is cutting peoples legs from under them or trying to lay a guilt trip or vilify people who can't get it together for some reason.

Exactly I’m with you on that. Came through the same way some of us leeches huh.
    Not sure what you mean (pretty sure you're agreeing with me), but some people in the system really *are* leeches. Every system has those that abuse it, it's just not nearly as rampant as some people would have you think it is. Again, I think you're agreeing with me. Can't tell if "some of us leeches huh" is sarcasm or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    https://www.shmoop.com/careers/mall-cop/salary.html

Many of the entry level jobs in mall security are part-time hourly positions that require little training or education; most positions aren't going to have salaries in the stratosphere. The average salary is around $25,000, meaning the starting salaries are likely to be even lower than that (source).

Pretty sure most people on this forum pay a lot more taxes then someone that stares at a security screen all day and stuffs his face with donuts.
    Glad that's all you think I have done all my life, and I am very glad you feel you either done so well or live through everyone else. But keep holding onto that illusion you're better than me though, I like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    Not sure what you mean (pretty sure you're agreeing with me), but some people in the system really *are* leeches. Every system has those that abuse it, it's just not nearly as rampant as some people would have you think it is. Again, I think you're agreeing with me. Can't tell if "some of us leeches huh" is sarcasm or not.
    I was being sarcastic, meaning someone pointed out people using food stamps are all leeches and preaching about how great it was to shame people for their lot in life. As if leeching was all they did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Luckily that will never happen because I have such a strong work ethic.
    Debilitating injuries can still happen to anyone, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Bullshit. If youre a mother with 2 kids you get:

About $500.00 per month in food stamps.
    About $350 in cash assistance
    Free (or ridiculously low rent like $50 per month) housing through the section 8 programT
    Free daycare through the Child Care Network handout
    The LIHEAP heating assistance program
    The On-Track electricity program
    The free cell phone program
    Free healthcare through Gateway, etc... You end up making more than someone making a decent wage
    Not every mother out there abuses this, though. I know one that did, and I know 15 others that used this platform to make a better life for themselves. In my opinion, that's a trade-off I'd take every time, even if it was one who abused, and one that made their life better.

I was being sarcastic, meaning someone pointed out people using food stamps are all leeches and preaching about how great it was to shame people for their lot in life. As if leeching was all they did.
    Ah, righton. I figured that's what it was eventually, I wasn't caught up to that part of the conversation yet.

Deleted
    I was handed a free cheese sample in the super market once.

I felt so dirty after accepting it...

Deleted
    Glad that's all you think I have done all my life, and I am very glad you feel you either done so well or live through everyone else. But keep holding onto that illusion you're better than me though, I like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Being better then you is really not an accomplishment to be honest.
    Being a Mall Cop puts you slightly above minimum wage which puts you in the lower bracket of the tax system which means most people with a decent job have already paid more taxes then you or will over their life times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    Ah, righton. I figured that's what it was eventually, I wasn't caught up to that part of the conversation yet.
    No no problem he also put a list of things those poor leches like moms and kids and disabled and elderly get.

I know quite a few people on welfare.

Some of them are thankful and are productive members of society, just in a bit of an unfortunate state atm.

Others, however, are actual leeches on society. Which I personally do not mind per se, except they are also the same people who hold violent/antisocial tendencies who also want to ruin it for everyone else except themselves.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Being better then you is really not an accomplishment to be honest.
    Being a Mall Cop puts you slightly above minimum wage which puts you in the lower bracket of the tax system which means most people with a decent job have already paid more taxes then you or will over their life times.
    Well it's a good thing you aren't better than me, I know it, whether you will admit it is another story, but the main difference between us is you care what I think and i could give two shits what you think.

Working a real job spending a lifetime doing something, vs whatever the fuck it is you think or thought you were doing, or more than likely what someone else told you. Trust me you couldn't figure me out or what I do, or how much I have or don't.

I made my statement to someone else and I stand by it. As for MOST people here, haha shit well there are a lot of people probably have more and pay more in taxes than I have ever seen perhaps. But one of them ain't you or Orlong.

- - - Updated - - -

just adding that one of the things i learned quickly on the system was how wrong it was to judge someone using food stamps or something while wearing nice cloths or a nice car. I was that person... i got a few WTF looks from people. Like what was I supposed to do sell my cloths and get donated ones? Sell my new car that was paid off for an old that barely ran? I have corrected many friends and family that do that now, that unless you know their story shush.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I know quite a few people on welfare.

Some of them are thankful and are productive members of society, just in a bit of an unfortunate state atm.

Others, however, are actual leeches on society. Which I personally do not mind per se, except they are also the same people who hold violent/antisocial tendencies who also want to ruin it for everyone else except themselves.
    Typically people with mental or emotional problems are described by what you just said, I still wouldn't call them leeches, there are still lots of places that don't have a lot of mental health professionals to deal with people that need help or don't even know they do.

Deleted
    My mother and me were on welfare for the most time when I was a kid, then when I went to university I got student loans that I will probably never ever be able to pay back, then worked for 2-3 years, now am back on welfare for the last 4 years. Pretty good. I have more money than when I used to work.

Typically people with mental or emotional problems are described by what you just said, I still wouldn't call them leeches, there are still lots of places that don't have a lot of mental health professionals to deal with people that need help or don't even know they do.
    Not talking about people with actual (mental) health issues, but really spiteful individuals who think that society owes them a living, and nobody else but themselves should ever be subsidized by their nation.

One of the most egregious cases I know involve this person who faked disability to get disability benefits. And they would rant on and on about minimum wage/unemployed people and how they should be exiled for being the "communists" they are.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    just adding that one of the things i learned quickly on the system was how wrong it was to judge someone using food stamps or something while wearing nice cloths or a nice car. I was that person... i got a few WTF looks from people. Like what was I supposed to do sell my cloths and get donated ones? Sell my new car that was paid off for an old that barely ran? I have corrected many friends and family that do that now, that unless you know their story shush.
    Well people see what they expect, even if it's not the true, seeing isn't believing and believing isn't always seeing, both can be part of a deception. I've seen people scream hysterically at someone they thought wasn't really handicapped with a handicapped plate parking in a handicapped spot.

I have seen people make horrible misinformed value judgements on people of all kinds of mental issues, and have completely mischaracterized them based on some bullshit they seen on TV or read on a motivational poster or some shit.

The problem is there are a lot of bad people out there across the board and of course some are going to be poor, but being poor is not a sign of you being lazy unless being ultra wealthy automatically means you are a greedy piece of shit.

Bottom line is people don't know their head from their ass, the big problem is most people have their own shit to deal with and know what it is like to have someone as equally ignorant as themselves make snap judgements without caring about all the facts, and know what it is like to be frustrating not to inform them in more ways than one.

Being poor is not a life goal, and while some are abusing the system many aren't i am all for safeguarding against abuse, I am all for taking care of people at least to the point where they have food shelter and having a way to sustain themselves.

Everything else you have to work for, and most people especially poor know that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Not talking about people with actual (mental) health issues, but really spiteful individuals who think that society owes them a living, and nobody else but themselves should ever be subsidized by their nation.

One of the most egregious cases I know involve this person who faked disability to get disability benefits. And they would rant on and on about minimum wage/unemployed people and how they should be exiled for being the "communists" they are.
    Hahahahaha Yes unfortunately I know the kinds you mean but even them if they pretend or faked it, my contention is the only person they might have fooled i likely themselves.

A person who fakes a disability to do all the shit you just mentioned, I wouldn't say being mentally well is the first thing I would consider.