Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    So is a knife. So are a lot of things. Phones are a tool one that you CAN use for defense, its not FOR defense. Anyone who acts like a kid needs a cell phone during school hours is being disingenuous at best, and dumb at worst.

You know who can and should have a cell phone on them for just such an emergency relating the school? The teachers, and all the facility. The phone can stay in the locker, and the kid can grab it when school ends for all of their kidnapping defense needs.
    I see in no way which this disagrees with what I'm saying.

Need I remind you, my original post that you quoted was in response to someone saying kids don't need cell phones at all.
    So a reduced in usage is perfectly fine with me, yet to see a compelling argument for giving kids access to these things.
    So I present the extreme situation as a rebuttal. And specifically in regards to their "parents don't need to track down their children".

Does a child need to be using their phone during class? No.
    Do they need it during lunch? Also probably not, but there's really no harm.

Should they have it ON them during school hours though? I also see no reason why they shouldn't. Worst comes to worst, you don't limit the amount of people that have access to a tool, in case something happens to the teacher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Except yet again, in destroying it you at least get a reliable "last known location". And even then, you still have criminals who try to rob a store without a mask on even. Not everyone is going to pull off each crime perfectly.

There's nothing about having the ability in an emergency to contact or track someone down that means there cannot be a trusting relationship.

The issue is you're thinking of it solely as a tool of paranoia and not acknowledging the actual positives said tool can have.
    Sorry i don't subscribe to that type of thinking, it's too much "good guy with a gun" for me. In addition to that, what was quote again about giving up your freedoms for security?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Sorry i don't subscribe to that type of thinking, it's too much "good guy with a gun" for me. In addition to that, what was quote again about giving up your freedoms for security?
    If it's too much to you for a parent to be able to know where their child is, then you must have encountered some pretty awful parents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    In my highschool time, cyberbullying did not exist.
    And to be completely honest, I would take cyberbullying any day of the week over the real physical/psychological bullying that took place instead.
    Would you take both? Cyber bullying hasn't replaced physical bullying

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Somebody mentioned bullying, online bullying in school is a growing problem and phones allow it
    So do vocal chords. Focus on the problem, not the tool.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    If it's too much to you for a parent to be able to know where their child is, then you must have encountered some pretty awful parents.
    Their parents know were they are, in school! If they're not at school parents receive a phonecall from school. The only argument for children needing phones is when travelling A to B from school to home

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    So do vocal chords. Focus on the problem, not the tool.
    It's infinitely more difficult to catch cyber bullying in the act... Removing said tool is a solution

Their parents know were they are, in school! If they're not at school parents receive a phonecall from school. The only argument for children needing phones is when travelling A to B from school to home
    Yet again, the 3rd person to hop in midway while ignoring the original context was that I was respond to was "kids don't need phones at all".

I hope that doesn't sound too mean, but it's too early in the morning for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I'll take "shit that doesn't happen" for $500?

I mean, we've only had cell phones readily available for what, 20 years or so? For some reason it doesn't seem like we had so many more kidnappings because kids didn't have a phone glued to their face.

Cell phones have a place obviously, but don't act like they're the bastion of child defense you're pretending they are. They're for fucking around with when they're supposed to be doing work.
    Person who kidnaps kids conveniently forgets that the last 20 years have happened while their mother is calling them to bring home milk.

Deleted
    Yet again, the 3rd person to hop in midway while ignoring the original context was that I was respond to was "kids don't need phones at all".

I hope that doesn't sound too mean, but it's too early in the morning for me.
    Well ignore said comment about "kids don't need phones at all" and return to the actual topic that "kids don't need phones during school at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Why would you ban them during breaks and lunchtime? It makes no sense to me.

Im not sure how you dont get it. Kids bury their faces in their phones, and the ban is to keep them socializing with the other kids in a natural way during breaks and not just stare in the phone on facebook or games.

Well ignore said comment about "kids don't need phones at all" and return to the actual topic that "kids don't need phones during school at all"
    It ties together in my opinion.

The reason why a child could need a phone at school is the same reason a child could use a phone in general. In case of an emergency. Cellphones were designed for, and their primary feature is still a means of communication.

And if said ban ends up going too far into "don't have a phone at all", then that's problematic. This type of ban already encourages just leaving the phone at home rather than bothering to bring it to school.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the primary school ban, but secondary school too?

In many cases (at least in certain American schools) they do. Teachers have begun creating apps and websites made especially for mobile devices such as Kahoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Norse View Post
    One reason is that they can be used to bully others. Through recording, social apps, or just cause they don't got the latest <insert hip brand>.
    That's a pretty flimsy reason given all the other reasons someone bullies another. By that logic, wearing clothes should be banned because you're not wearing the latest fashion out of fear of bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    In many cases (at least in certain American schools) they do. Teachers have begun creating apps and websites made especially for mobile devices such as Kahoot.
    I would imagine you learn more from 8 hours on your phone than you learn from 8 hours in a modern classroom anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    That's a pretty flimsy reason given all the other reasons someone bullies another. By that logic, wearing clothes should be banned because you're not wearing the latest fashion out of fear of bullies.
    As if school uniforms were never a thing. Think before you talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    It ties together in my opinion.

The reason why a child could need a phone at school is the same reason a child could use a phone in general. In case of an emergency. Cellphones were designed for, and their primary feature is still a means of communication.

And if said ban ends up going too far into "don't have a phone at all", then that's problematic. This type of ban already encourages just leaving the phone at home rather than bothering to bring it to school.
    The school has the tools for emergencies and let's not pretend children are using phones just for communication because that's disingenuous. If communication was the only need then an old none smartphone will do

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    As far as I can tell at my kids school they are pretty much banned. If you are caught during school hours using them they get taken away unless you specifically inform the front office that you are contacting a parent or the front office comes to you and informs you that they need to contact a parent.

Do a lot of schools really like a bunch of kids sit around like that and just mess around on phones?
    Danish public schools. Some of those public schools even encouraged the use of such devices actively, by introducing iPads as a teaching platform. Why write by hand? Why use a fishbone for basic math, etc.
    Seriously, this has to be how the upper class avoids competition. By ensuring that the poor and lower middle class students in public schools learn absolutely nothing.

Guess I am lucky that the most advanced phone around when I was a 7th grader was something along the lines of Nokia 3310.

Anyways, good for France. I approve of this law. They should have never been allowed in schools in the first place.

Internet companies, gaming companies etc. have invaded our children's private sphere. The schools have the potential, and the obligation to, offer a sanctuary of learning, reflection and discipline. Smartphones interfere with this.
    Last edited by Pengekaer; 2017-12-12 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Im not sure how you dont get it. Kids bury their faces in their phones, and the ban is to keep them socializing with the other kids in a natural way during breaks and not just stare in the phone on facebook or games.
    phones aren't the only things kids bury their face in to avoid socializing... reading books, drawing, really focusing on eating lunch. better ban all things that might prevent kids from talking to other kids about how bored they are every day

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    What's your view on this? My dad is a teacher and often tells how no one focusses on anything in anymore, but on their smartphone.
    So might be for the better?
    The distraction caused by them is certainly an issue in the middle and high schools my kids went to. I'd love to see them not allow them to operate during regular school hours. However, our schools also distribute computers to each student, and when the phones are taken away, they'll usually just surf the web, watch Netflix, or play games on the school-issued computers. Due to its prevalence, teachers I've talked to (at my kids' schools where I've complained about this very issue) have basically given up trying to police everyone. I guess it's just not realistic for them to do so, and because of requirements to do projects online - especially shared projects, there's not a lot of options. Personally, I say make the kids write on paper if they can't be trusted with their machines and make them transcribe at home if necessary.

Anyway, yes, technology outpaced (school) regulation and it's gotten out of hand. Phones are only part of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    Danish public schools. Some of those public schools even encouraged the use of such devices actively, by introducing iPads as a teaching platform. Why write by hand? Why use a fishbone for basic math, etc.
    Seriously, this has to be how the upper class avoids competition. By ensuring that the poor and lower middle class students in public schools learn absolutely nothing.

Guess I am lucky that the most advanced phone around when I was a 7th grader was something along the lines of Nokia 3310.

Anyways, good for France. I approve of this law. They should have never been allowed in schools in the first place.
    In school they can use iPad's. In fact it's where all their books are now. But their phone is different.