Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    And no to make use of such software you need to install such spyware to make use of the tracking possibilities.
    Sorry, you are incorrect on this one, at least on newer Android phones. You can track android devices from My Account on google.com. No software need be installed on the actual phone. I'd also argue your use of the term "spyware" for software intentionally used by the owner, but that's probably just going to distract from the conversation - oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I still don't see the negatives of having phones during class as another option to kill time. It just seems arbitrary to ban their use during those times.
    Seriously, what do you teach and at what level where the kids in your class have all this need to kill time? I'm trying not to be judgmental here, but... really?

Parents that aren't subjecting their kids to their own paranoid fears. Let's be honest here you are already coming up with far fetched scenarios to remotely justify the use of such tools, while we both know parents that use that won't wait to utilize this for such scenario's and will use it frequently, why even bother to install it to begin with otherwise?

And no to make use of such software you need to install such spyware to make use of the tracking possibilities.
    If your definition of an emergency is "far fetched", then sure. But that's the whole point of a child having a phone, as a just in case.

What if the school catches on fire as your kid is in the bathroom, and they can't escape safely? Now they can use the phone to let someone know.

Emergencies, by default, are pretty far fetched. The average school doesn't go up in flames after all.

I would do what I did in high school (since I didn't have a phone) and that was sleep in between classes because I didn't want to socialize.
    I have no problem with not socializing, and I don't think using a phone makes most people more anti-social. I don't remember having any more than 10 minutes between classes in high school; barely enough time to run from one to the other, especially if I had to stop at my locker. How did you manage to find enough time between classes to NAP?

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Why would you ban them during breaks and lunchtime? It makes no sense to me.
    Simpler to have them banned all day than to allow them during certain hours ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    If your definition of an emergency is "far fetched", then sure. But that's the whole point of a child having a phone, as a just in case.

What if the school catches on fire as your kid is in the bathroom, and they can't escape safely? Now they can use the phone to let someone know.

Emergencies, by default, are pretty far fetched. The average school doesn't go up in flames after all.
    Might as well give all kids a gun, just in case a wild animal wanders onto the school. Hey, that's also an emergency using your own "logic".

Might as well give all kids a gun, just in case a wild animal wanders onto the school. Hey, that's also an emergency using your own "logic".
    One that's illegal, and isn't even close to comparable.
    Having a phone doesn't have a risk of killing someone.

Kinda sad that you need to enforce such a thing, but I can understand it. We are seriously running the risk of fostering future generations that can't do anything without looking it up on google or only being able to communicate via a text message with a dick pic in the attachment.

10+ Year Old Account
    One that's illegal, and isn't even close to comparable.
    Having a phone doesn't have a risk of killing someone.
    You never know they might call up their gang buddies! Since obviously we need to monitor our kids constantly otherwise they'll end up slinging dope!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Sorry, you are incorrect on this one, at least on newer Android phones. You can track android devices from My Account on google.com. No software need be installed on the actual phone. I'd also argue your use of the term "spyware" for software intentionally used by the owner, but that's probably just going to distract from the conversation - oh well.
    Guess it might be available on my phone also, i was referring specifically at software targeted at that type of parent that needs to control their child every move. This type of software is generally installed without knowledge otherwise they would remove it, and so i do find it spyware as it obtains information about the user without their knowledge or so at least is the intent.

You never know they might call up their gang buddies! Since obviously we need to monitor our kids constantly otherwise they'll end up slinging dope!
    Alright so apparently I'm not the one talking about extremely far fetched situations now.

Guess it might be available on my phone also, i was referring specifically at software targeted at that type of parent that needs to control their child every move. This type of software is generally installed without knowledge otherwise they would remove it, and so i do find it spyware as it obtains information about the user without their knowledge or so at least is the intent.
    You can very well see that the app is installed if it is one. And a vast majority of phones have it just built in as a hardware feature. Hell, Apple sells it as a feature on iPhones.

There's nothing "spyware" about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Kinda sad that you need to enforce such a thing, but I can understand it. We are seriously running the risk of fostering future generations that can't do anything without looking it up on google or only being able to communicate via a text message with a dick pic in the attachment.
    Scrap texts all together... It'll just be emojis.

Fitting on so many levels: go to 1:51 because for some reason youtube is being lame with copying the current time.

Last edited by SLSAMG; 2017-12-12 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright so apparently I'm not the one talking about extremely far fetched situations now.
    Merely holding up a mirror to make a point.

Having used the type of software you're referring to on my son's phone in an attempt to limit his ability to play games during certain hours, I can say that you can (and I did) absolutely tell them what I was putting on there. Plus, he'll absolutely see it on there - the apps don't hide themselves. And it's not gathering my data and sending it anywhere I don't want it.

Android actually allows low enough level access that those apps can stop you from doing basically anything unless you know the password for the app. In short, I know iPhones don't have low level access so parental control apps are limited, but as far as Android goes, the child cannot get around it if set up correctly. Also, as we're talking about children, the owner of the phone is the parent, not the child, and I'll put whatever I want on my phone - thus I don't view it as spyware for a several reasons. It is only my child's phone in the sense that he is allowed to use it during certain hours, customize certain things about it, and install apps I give him permission to install.

Deleted
    I still don't see the negatives of having phones during class as another option to kill time. It just seems arbitrary to ban their use during those times.

- - - Updated - - -

Please provide your evidence that phones create unsocial people.

If I didn't have a phone, I would do what I did in high school (since I didn't have a phone) and that was sleep in between classes because I didn't want to socialize.
    I see more negatives than positives

Deleted
    I'm specifically talking about the 5-10 minutes in between classes or the 30-60 minutes you're waiting for the school day to start because your bus gets there early as fuck or the 30-60 minutes after school because your bus picks you up late as fuck.

I'm obviously not talking about actual class time. That seems pretty fucking obvious.

And the argument that "we've been fine for x number of years before so and so!!" Is a shit argument.
    But you can have a phone then

My school assigned people to certain "halls". We had four represented by four colors and all your classes were in the same area of the building. So, they were usually pretty close to each other if not right next to each other.

What's a single negative of having your phone in between class?
    Those were some quick power naps regardless. Anyway... I already wrote up several, but I'll briefly repeat and paraphrase: more likely to be late for classes, more likely to have them with them and thus be disruptive during class, more complicated for teachers and administration to administer phones vs being able to have a simple no phones at school policy... to name a few. Again, in theory, if all kids were mature and used them appropriately, there's nothing wrong with it. That's not the reality though. It's the same reason why we don't have laws that state: you can text while at a stop light. It's just far easier to adjudicate and administrate all or nothing rules, and the benefit of texting at a stoplight or using your phone between classes is so abysmally small that from a pragmatic standpoint, saying no is the smarter thing to do (imo, obviously). Take it or leave it, those are my reasons. I doubt at this point either of us will change positions on this, but you asked politely so I figured I'd answer.

Deleted
    Cyberbullying
    Sexting
    Cheating

My school assigned people to certain "halls". We had four represented by four colors and all your classes were in the same area of the building. So, they were usually pretty close to each other if not right next to each other.

- - - Updated - - -

It creates an environment where everyone can just look at their phone and ignore everyone else.

Merely holding up a mirror to make a point.
    Youre not proving a point at all though.

Comparing a school fire to drug dealer?

1) Probably shouldn't be handled at the national level. Let individual school boards set their own rules. What is good in the heart of Paris might be less good in an exceedingly rural area.

2) Ban them from use during classroom hours, absolutely. Total ban during breaks and lunch seems excessive. I could see it on a school-by-school basis if there is a specific problem.

3) Cyberbullying is at least as much of a concern as in-person bullying, but for different reasons. In-person bullying can be physically harmful, or make students ashamed or even afraid to go to school. Cyberbullying is not physically harmful, but it can make you just as ashamed or afraid, and you can't escape it by going home*.

4) Shit-tier students are going to be shit-tier students, with or without smartphones to distract them. I played Pokemon on a Gameboy Pocket when I was in middle school. I had classmates who would pass notes incessantly. I had other classmates who would use the metal edge of rulers to gouge their desks. Still others would just doodle forever in their notebooks. Removing one source of distraction will not magically improve grades, behavior, or anything else. Short term, it will likely increase bad behavior as some students lash out against the new regulations.

5) As always, this shouldn't even be a thing. Parents should do their jobs and teach students what is appropriate. Unfortunately, you can't legislate what entails good parenting, and it would be unenforceable even if you could.

*"Don't go on Facebook" isn't an option today any more than "Don't go to the mall" was an option in the 90s. Not being on Facebook just provides additional fuel for the bullies, just like not going to the places where the popular kids go was additional fuel back then. Restricting the activity of the victims because of bad behavior of bullies is a terrible precedent to set. In my mind, it is better to punish the cyberbullies. If your child is being cyberbullied, set up a meeting with school administrators and the bully's parents. Hash out a solution where the bully has some sort of consequences for his actions. If I disparage my boss or coworkers on Facebook, I am going to face disciplinary action regardless of whether or not I used company time and/or resources to do so.
    Last edited by Antiganon; 2017-12-12 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Cyberbullying
    Sexting
    Cheating
    The core of those points would still happen even without smartphones. I agree that during class the usage of smartphones or other devices should be prohibited but I think is excesive that during break or between classes to have it baned. I´m going to say that at work I use the cellphone a lot ( I work at an office) and my boss doesn´t care I text someone or watch memes for 10 mins if I get the job done. Sure they are not the same, school and work, but settling certain rules to the extreme shouldn´t be the answer.