Poll: Have you ever known anyone on welfare or been on it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    this explains so much lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Being irrationally selfish isn't exactly a mental disorder. Not at this point anyway.
    I see where you are going HAHAHA, no I won't ever make or pretend to make a mental diagnosis of anyone, 1. I am not qualified, and 2. I don't have personal sit down experience to evaluate anybody

But irrationally selfish seems like it could be a disorder, bit then again some people just choose to be shitty, despite what they know and become stupid, and you really can't fix that as long as it's a fully understood choice.

Some might argue how well understood lol
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been on it. Came very close a kid, but had a father who was willing to work 3 jobs and a mother who worked full time to keep us off the dole. For that I am very grateful.

I do fully support a social safety net for those unable to provide for themselves due to no fault of their own. We should be compassionate and aid those less fortunate.

Social safety nets are a fine idea, it's a really nice thing to do. However, it is an easily abused system as well. It's very easy to understand both sides on the topic. If when you close your eyes you see someone hard working who has had a run of bad luck, you'll see it as good. If when you close your eyes you see someone who quit a job because they don't like to get up in the morning then proceeds to play video games all day, you'll see it as a waste of our tax money. The reality is, no matter which way you see it, you will be correct in feeling that way because both situations happen.

I'm an American. Can all of the Americans in this thread who are complaining about how welfare lets people quit their job and play video games all their lives tell me how these people are doing it? I'd like to quit my job and play video games all the time - I can't because I'm entitled to a maximum of five years of TANF (ie, "welfare") for my entire lifetime and have to prove that I'm working 28 hours a week (or in job training for an equivalent amount of time) in order to keep the benefits for even that time. In my state, because I'm childless, I'm entitled to three months of food stamps over a three year period.

So it seems that while I can quit my job and blow my welfare checks on video games and Mountain Dew, I can't do it forever. I also can't really quit working entirely - so I guess I would have to get disabled somehow to get an exception for the work requirement.

So would you guys let me know how I can spend my life playing video games and getting paid to not work like these millions of people (the welfare queens and the like)? I'd really like to do that.

My mother when me and my brother were kids. Her job didn't cover enough to keep us fed decently. She applied, provided income proof and was approved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Social safety nets are a fine idea, it's a really nice thing to do. However, it is an easily abused system as well. It's very easy to understand both sides on the topic. If when you close your eyes you see someone hard working who has had a run of bad luck, you'll see it as good. If when you close your eyes you see someone who quit a job because they don't like to get up in the morning then proceeds to play video games all day, you'll see it as a waste of our tax money. The reality is, no matter which way you see it, you will be correct in feeling that way because both situations happen.
    It's worse when it promotes unemployment because their eligible jobs would be paying the same. It can promote stagnation.

I am mostly against the concept of welfare while knowing it's needed atm. There needs to be a stable economy that allows the bottom class to live off of their work. Current wages make it mathematically impossible.
    Last edited by kail; 2017-12-12 at 05:28 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Yep myself, I'm on SSID/Sap. I have many health issues so I can't work and nearly impossible to find a job that would take me if I could and also work around my health.

Would rather work if I could. Really don't care what people think of me because I am on those.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yep myself, I'm on SSID/Sap. I have many health issues so I can't work and nearly impossible to find a job that would take me if I could and also work around my health.

Would rather work if I could. Really don't care what people think of me because I am on those.
    My wife feels the exact same way! Did you have problems getting approved for SSDI too?
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by klaghatagh View Post
    I'm an American. Can all of the Americans in this thread who are complaining about how welfare lets people quit their job and play video games all their lives tell me how these people are doing it? I'd like to quit my job and play video games all the time - I can't because I'm entitled to a maximum of five years of TANF (ie, "welfare") for my entire lifetime and have to prove that I'm working 28 hours a week (or in job training for an equivalent amount of time) in order to keep the benefits for even that time. In my state, because I'm childless, I'm entitled to three months of food stamps over a three year period.

So it seems that while I can quit my job and blow my welfare checks on video games and Mountain Dew, I can't do it forever. I also can't really quit working entirely - so I guess I would have to get disabled somehow to get an exception for the work requirement.

So would you guys let me know how I can spend my life playing video games and getting paid to not work like these millions of people (the welfare queens and the like)? I'd really like to do that.

Europeans and Canadians can do that, not you, you have to work.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account

If you can sit on a chair and type posts on MMOC, you can get a job siting on a chair and typing

As a child my mom lost her job, and welfare kept us above water (and fed) till she got a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    My wife feels the exact same way! Did you have problems getting approved for SSDI too?
    Yep.

Had it since I was a kid when I flipped 18 I had to fight them to keep it (I lost) had to fight again and finally got it back. Took 3 years after losing it (6 years total of fighting for it) to get it back again and just recent I had to send in papers for them to decide if I was still disabled. Thankfully they approved it without the court bullshit again.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-12-12 at 07:04 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Sure. The state gave me money for college.

I also know people who have had lost their jobs for a time. Shit happens. Great to live in a country that takes care of its citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    If you can sit on a chair and type posts on MMOC, you can get a job siting on a chair and typing
    Cool now find me said job that brings in as much money as my disability does and proves the healthcare I need.

Can't didn't think so.

Also can't type for long periods of time due to one of my health issues. Sorry your not going to find a job that will accommodate for all my health issues.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-12-12 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool now find me said job that brings in as much money as my disability does and proves the healthcare I need.

Can't didn't think so.

Also can't type for long periods of time due to one of my health issues. Sorry your not going to find a job that will accommodate for all my health issues.
    You can still work and get free healthcare through Medicaid

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You can still work and get free healthcare through Medicaid
    I'm happy you know more about me then I do.

Also you mean that medicaid that our lovely government is trying to destroy. Here let me give you a bit of info before you look more ignorant then you already do.

When you apply or try to keep SSDI they have a lawyer they use to try to prove you can still work. They will list off jobs (and how many spots are open for said job field) that you can do with your health issues.

With all of mine there was.........ZERO. So since now we have covered that we also prove that once again you don't have a clue about the topic at hand or anything about me for that matter.

If there lawyer couldn't make a compelling argument with proof that I can work, I highly doubt some random internet forum poster can.

You have no "No/No and I support it" option.

I have never been eligible, because even working a shit-tier minimum wage job for like 12 hours a week is enough to put you in the "makes too much money for public assistance but not enough money to actually live" category.

Edit: Didn't consider unemployment as part of it. I have been on unemployment, when I was unceremoniously shitcanned from my job as a movie theater projectionist so they could replace me with a DVD player.
    Last edited by Antiganon; 2017-12-12 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

7+ Year Old Account
    If by welfare you mean unemployment benefits/payments, then i was on it for about a year after i graduated. Was a bit of a struggle to get a job, but fortunately i managed.

Honestly speaking it was a horrible periode for me and i genuinely do not understand why anyone would willingly want to be unemployed, "even just to play games". Getting turned down on job applications hit me pretty hard and went through a cycle of low self esteem and doubt, not to mention being restless and agitated every few months as i would get stressed out of not having a job. I am glad that periode is over, and with via my current job i have gotten qualifications that should let me get into a new job quickly, if i ever want to do something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should be more like unemployment help.

Temporary and you must show proof you are actually doing something about it

I was on foodstamps for about 5 years, My ex and I had really shitty jobs and with a daughter on the way (it was a surprise) we were screwed. Im happy to say I am not with my ex anymore,off of foodstamps and have a great job now.