Poll: Do you want boats?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Seriously, Why Aren't We Getting Boats?

I still don't really understand why we aren't getting anything boat related (as of yet) in BoA. Here are my reasons why I think it's ridiculous:

1. There will NEVER be a better time to implement them than now.

This entire expansion is riding on the naval war theme. Both the horde and alliance are trying to amass a seafaring army to kill each other and take down Azshara. If we don't get boats now, we will undoubtably never get them again. Why aren't we using these boats to travel to island expeditions? Eventually even travel to Najatar and The Undermine? They just fit too well into the theme and feature set of this expansion to be left out. It would also help with the feeling of amassing a huge navy to take down the opposition. That could be conveyed perfectly through a simple Mission Table structure, perhaps even better then it did for Order Halls or Garrisons.

​2. They would not be that complicated to implement at small scale. (You don't need to be able to control them)

Blizzard likely already has the basic components of a boat model up and running in their alpha right now. We even have screenshots. They don't have to be super crazy or anything. Maybe like 3 upgrade levels and some custom horde/alliance assets and we are good to go. I don't expect naval warfare or being able to control it out on the open sea. Just somewhere to house story missions and the "gathering a navy" narrative ie; The Misson Table. Also, I would be fine if it was the "Flagship' Horde/Alliance boat, and not yours. That fits the narrative better.

3. They are a perfect home for currently missing features.

Right now we have no idea what is happening to the Blizzard App, the Order Hall mission structure, or any sort of follower system. Plus, whats going to happen to the awesome fast travel system on argus? Would that not be a perfect Segway into a port system in BoA? You could unlock ports throughout the campaign that open up as fast travel locations, further enhancing the theme of the expansion without making things overly complicated. Maybe they could even be world PvP objectives!

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Is just drives me crazy we are finally getting a South Seas-esque expansion and there are NO BOATS?! WHAT?! GAH!
    Last edited by Starry Sidekick; 2017-12-13 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Made my point clearer to reduce confusion (You cannot control the boat and its the "Flagship" Horde/Alliance boat, not yours.

Well you always have the shipyard to enjoy if you really want boats.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Because Blizzard decided that they don't want to introduce them.

/thread

Is there going to be an equivalent feature to order halls?

10+ Year Old Account
    Technical limitations and lack of interesting gameplay?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Well you always have the shipyard to enjoy if you really want boats.
    The shipyard is not relevant content or enjoyable gameplay in any way, shape, or form. I don't want to manage a shipyard. I just want a boat. One boat. Uno boato.

because it doesn't fit the wow model of hard resets every expansion, wow as long ago stop being an "open living world" mmo, and more akin to a menu rpg with a fancy overlay.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because we get flooded with too many Flying threads enough as it is.

Deleted
    ​2. They would not be that complicated to implement.
    Everytime i see this garbage sentence, i cringe so fucking hard

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    because it doesn't fit the wow model of hard resets every expansion, wow as long stop being an "open living world" mmo, and more akin to a menu rpg with a fancy overlay.
    As I stated in OP, I don't want or need them to be drivable or dynamic or anything. They could just be semi-customizable fast travel thingies that your mission table is in. I'm fine with that. They sit in your main city hub and don't move unless you change ports, then you get that red dashed line loading screen and your at another port.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Everytime i see this garbage sentence, i cringe so fucking hard
    Then tell me, based on the feature set I described in my post, how these would be hard to implement? Support your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbleton View Post
    4. There is no reason not to put them in.

Seriously, name one?
    1. All your characters are land-based.
    2. You already have ships, they're in Draenor but still you have ships.
    3. You already have a boat - at least if you've done the quests in Thousand Needles (or whatever it is called now).

I still don't really understand why we aren't getting anything boat related (as of yet) in BoA. Here are my reasons why I think it's ridiculous:

1. There will NEVER be a better time to implement them than now.

This entire expansion is riding on the naval war theme. Both the horde and alliance are trying to amass a seafaring army to kill each other and take down Azshara. If we don't get boats now, we will undoubtably never get them again. Why aren't we using these boats to travel to island expeditions? Eventually even travel to Najatar and The Undermine? They just fit too well into the theme and feature set of this expansion to be left out.

​2. They would not be that complicated to implement.

Blizzard likely already has the basic components of a boat model up and running in their alpha right now. We even have screenshots. They don't have to be super crazy or anything. Maybe like 3 upgrade levels and some custom horde/alliance assets and we are good to go. I don't expect naval warfare or being able to control it out on the open sea. Just something rather than nothing.

3. They are a perfect home for currently missing features.

Right now we have no idea what is happening to the Blizzard App, the Order Hall mission structure, or any sort of follower system. Plus, whats going to happen to the awesome fast travel system on argus? Would that not be a perfect Segway into a port system in BoA? You could unlock ports throughout the campaign that open up as fast travel locations, further enhancing the theme of the expansion without making things overly complicated. Maybe they could even be world PvP objectives!

4. There is no reason not to put them in.

Seriously, name one?

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Is just drives me crazy we are finally getting a South Seas-esque expansion and there are NO BOATS?! WHAT?! GAH!
    What is it you want? A mount on water? A class hall on water?

The only point of bringing boat is to have the whole naval warfare thing. Anything less than that is just either a mount or small piece of ground in the shape of a boat that we jump on.

As I stated in OP, I don't want or need them to be drivable or dynamic or anything. They could just be semi-customizable fast travel thingies that your mission table is in. I'm fine with that. They sit in your main city hub and don't move unless you change ports, then you get that red dashed line loading screen and your at another port.

- - - Updated - - -

Then tell me, based on the feature set I described in my post, how these would be hard to implement? Support your statement.
    So customized hosing that is a fast travel hub? rather redundant imo

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    1. All your characters are land-based.
    2. You already have ships, they're in Draenor but still you have ships.
    3. You already have a boat - at least if you've done the quests in Thousand Needles (or whatever it is called now).
    1. We can only have boats if everyone were a mermaid? I don't understand.
    2. Not relevant or enjoyable content. Shipyard /=/ Ship
    3. Not relevant content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a little surprised that they're not doing a naval version of the Vindicaar.

Assassin Creed black flag is free this month if you want to play with boats.

PS : no thanks, or it will be like boats with garrison mechanics.

You know nothing of game design, so suggest how it would be easy. Support your statement.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see how they could be implemented in a way that would be actually fun and engaging. Having them have 3 levels with faction-themed assets sounds like it would get boring fast.

Personally I was really glad when they didn't announce any major boat features, ever since Wind Waker boats in games give me PTSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I find the idea of boats and having to sail on water stupid as hell. I loved assassins creed, but the moment the third one in the series started forcing me to sail a ship, I said screw it. I want to spend as little time on the sea as possible because it's boring and there's no content in bodies of water. If there is, that means it's another swimming zone and I think we can all agree outside of the lore, those zones suck.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    Because Blizzard decided that they don't want to introduce them.

/thread
    This, pretty much.

Think of how obnoxious some people are with mounts. Now think if they had an entire fucking ship with which to troll, and you have your answer.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation