Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    You could always hunt...

A few people who share my general views on nature may be against it, but hunting for sustenance is nothing I've ever been against under certain circumstances.
    I have hunted, and eaten them too. They were dead when I ate them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The reason why this is being suggested, is because the vast consumption of meat across the world, it can't be kept up with by the manufactures slaughtering animals. When there are more people then it is possible to feed them, these kind of crazy notions come about.

There are so many f**king people in the world today, as a species we consume so much of the natural world, that we need to start thinking of Frankenstein solutions.

To me the best solution to all this is for a super volcano to go off and kill off half the worlds population. I'm not joking either, as a species we cull other animals species to 'protect the indigenous species' from there over population. When is it humanities turn to feel the such a cull?
    Maybe the Asians and Indians should stop procreating then..

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Source

Personally I believe lab-grown meat is the way to go. As much as I enjoy a nice burger and fries, I enjoy the suffering of other mammals much less. There are many positive benefits to lab-grown meat and the end of industrialized livestock slaughter aside from inhumane conditions and unnecessary suffering as well. Most crops that are grown go to feeding huge populations of chickens, cattle and pigs. Additionally many farmers feed their cattle corn which they cannot properly digest and generally become gassy (for a lack of a better term), releasing CO2 into the atmosphere.
    I feel the same way...I'm all for the lab-grown meat. My only concern is the micro-nutrients. Meat is by far the best food to get all the micro-nutrients for the human body, and we just need to make sure that the lab-grown meat is the same way...not the equivalent of cereal where nearly all the micro-nutrients are lost.

If it tastes the same, has the same texture, and I won't get some weird disease or grow a third arm, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    Maybe the Asians and Indians should stop procreating then..
    Most of East Asia has had declining birthrates for quite sometime. India's birthrates have also started to stabilize/decline through regional two-child policies, rising levels of employment and family planning. Of course the fact that a good portion of India is vegetarian also helps.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The reason why this is being suggested, is because the vast consumption of meat across the world, it can't be kept up with by the manufactures slaughtering animals. When there are more people then it is possible to feed them, these kind of crazy notions come about.

There are so many f**king people in the world today, as a species we consume so much of the natural world, that we need to start thinking of Frankenstein solutions.

To me the best solution to all this is for a super volcano to go off and kill off half the worlds population. I'm not joking either, as a species we cull other animals species to 'protect the indigenous species' from there over population. When is it humanities turn to feel the such a cull?
    Asia and Africa are the problem. I say cut off foreign aid and mass migration.

ok.

We eat a shitton of processed crap anyways, every day of our lives. This would be no different.

As long as the FauxYork Strip steak tastes like my prime NY Strip and the notburger tastes like a real burger IDGAF where the "meat" comes from.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    We either still have to cull animal populations through hunting or introduce the predators we have driven away. For me the first part is probably the most humane one. If you have ever seen a bear eat a elk while its still alive, or a pack of wolves rip animals apart.

I haven't hunted in 10 years, but when I did, I did for the meat and keeping the population in check. I love to hunt, but I don't hunt just for the hunt.
    The latter is the most ecologically beneficial. Sounds hypocritical of me when I claim to want to minimize suffering, but humans are certainly at a position to do it, bears and gray wolves aren't.

As to why natural predators are more beneficial, when wolves we're reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park they had profoundly positive effects on the ecosystem.

By killing elk they didn't just control the population, but altered the behavior of the elk, specifically conditioning the to avoid areas where they could be easily tracked by wolves. Because of this the plants in those areas began to radically regenerate, reforesting large swaths of the park. These forests stabilized the banks of rivers, attracted songbirds and small species, beavers increased in population due to the presence of more trees. The beavers built dams which provided more habitats for fish, otters, muskrat and other aquatic species.

The wolves also killed many coyotes which allowed the numbers of pronghorn antelope and rodents to grow which grew the populations of birds of prey and foxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wont object to eating lab grown meat, but meat from cattle and the like arent likely to ever truly die, because I think there will always be a market for natural meat.

It'll take off. It'll more than likely be extremely profitable,

But you won't ever replace livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Much of Africa is actually developing at an impressive rate. Countries like Ethiopia, Rwanda, Botswana, Kenya and Tanzania are experiencing a boom in economic development.

Countries like Nigeria are also growing, but this is somewhat problematic as the average Nigerian woman has something around 6 children and unlike India the government seems to express no interest in attempting to cut birthrates. The Nigerian birthrates will eventually stabilize on their own though and then decline as much of the developed world has.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    What will happen to the animals when we no longer use them?
    It sucks to say this but domesticated animals have evolved in our care to the point where basic dairy cows literally can't survive in the wild for extended periods of the time. If the world goes forward on the lab grown meat bit, then in the future you MIGHT get lucky and find pockets of them that have managed to adapt and find a niche in the local ecosystem - but mostly theyll just die out. This isn't a problem with regards to the balance of an area because as previously mentioned cows specifically are almost exclusively for the use of people. Its not like mosquitoes or something, where if they went extinct it'd cause a chain reaction in the ecosystem where you screw the animals that eat the mosquitoes and etc.

Basically, the true irony of finding a way not to kill animals for meat - assuming your looking at it from a vegan or purely ethical level - is that most of those animals will die out or go extinct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    The problem is America and its influence. You meat lovers over the pond eat just too much damn meat, and your carefree lifestyle sets a bad example for the rest of the world. Imagine if the Chinese would catch up and eat as much pounds of meat/year as you guys...

Deleted
    The problem with livestock for meat is that abolishing the meat industry will result in millions perhaps billions of animals getting culled. You can't reintroduce them into the wild and only a fraction will be safe. That's not taking into account the job losses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and is probably gonna cost a arm and a leg lol (Queue the people who say eating healthy is just as cheap as eating unhealthy)

10+ Year Old Account
    You could always hunt...

A few people who share my general views on nature may be against it, but hunting for sustenance is nothing I've ever been against under certain circumstances.
    Are you sure about that? I've heard some stories from hunters where they didn't get a clean shot and the deer they shot flailed around violently for minutes before bleeding out. If I were an animal, i'd rather take a stun gun to the dome and be knocked out before having my throat slit. Beats taking a bullet through my upper thoracic and choking on my blood before suffocating.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    I read about how the wolves helped the Willow(?) tree grow, I also read that this was debunked. But I wont argue over what might be fake news from both sides ^_^
    https://www.esa.org/esablog/ecology-...-to-their-rep/

I personal think the wolf is a beautiful creature, but I dislike their nature. As they will kill and entire herd if given the chance, and only eat stuff like the fetuses from the pregnant elks.
    Regardless it's still more beneficial if natural predators are allowed to fulfill their ecological role without human persecution. Along with long wiped out species like the wild ass and water buffalo and more recent extinctions like the tarpan (wild horse) and aurochs (wild cattle), bears should be allowed to reestablish themselves on the Eurasian and American continents.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2017-12-12 at 09:04 PM.

I’m all for it.

Farming livestock like cattle is terrible for the environment. There’s also evidence that cows pollute the water supply with estrogen. Not to mention you don’t have to worry about the animal essentially living in it’s own piss and shit it’s entire life before you eat it.

My roach farm disagrees.