Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I thought the world itself was call Elunaria, and the sanctuary on it called Elaria. It would be odd for a sanctuary to be within another sanctuary?
    Yeah, you're correct. The world is called Elunaria and the sanctuary is called the Elarian sanctuary. Checked the map of the raid zone earlier in the game.

All we can be certain of is that Elune is real and connected to the moon (Val'sharah) and that she has some connection to the titans. (Tear of Elune artifact, being able to use said tear to communicate with Xe'ra)

Ramping off into rabid theorycrafting though because that's way more fun...

Elunaria = literally Elune, we were on the moon, guys!!
    Elune = non-realized world soul housed in Azeroth's moon?
    ELUNE = SARGERAS!!!!
    ELUNExSARGERAS!!!

Okay I've gone too far there.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-12-12 at 10:05 PM.
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    All we can be certain of is that Elune is real and connected to the moon (Val'sharah) and that she has some connection to the titans. (Tear of Elune artifact, being able to use said tear to communicate with Xe'ra)

ELUNE = SARGERAS!!!!
    ELUNExSARGERAS!!!

I just had the image of your avatar going from a fluffy whit furred, red haired unicorn to the void darkened version as I kept going down that list

Elunes ability to affect water elementals seen in darkshore, and the shrine to her in elemental plane of water makes me think Elune helped the titans fight old gods and was bffs with Eonar

Clearly she helped empower ysera since eonar empowered ysera And Alexstraza

Look at tolvir, cats, with wings. Who loves cats and owls? Elune

Illuminati confirmed
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Off topic, but I enjoyed looking down into the waters and area below the paths there and seeing a huge genesaur just kinda hanging around

Honestly I really want Elune to be chaotic good. Someone who is good no matter what, whatever it takes.
    We have so much chaotic evil but nothing truly chaotic good.

Elune seems to fit this bill considering she was willing to do good even in failed timelines like how she helped the Tyrande echo in the End time dungeon. And how she's willing to help her chosen no matter what.

i really hope we return to that world one day, see the inhabitants of it.

it's not surprising that elune would be universal. draenor and azeroth are both ridiculously far away from each other, and the troll's loa can be contacted from draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i really hope we return to that world one day, see the inhabitants of it.

it's not surprising that elune would be universal. draenor and azeroth are both ridiculously far away from each other, and the troll's loa can be contacted from draenor.
    Distance is an abstract concept when it comes to divinities yeah.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    Honestly I really want Elune to be chaotic good. Someone who is good no matter what, whatever it takes.
    We have so much chaotic evil but nothing truly chaotic good.

Elune seems to fit this bill considering she was willing to do good even in failed timelines like how she helped the Tyrande echo in the End time dungeon. And how she's willing to help her chosen no matter what.
    I think to understand Elune, we have to take a look at where the franchise is heading.

The War against the Legion, one of the foundational pieces of storytelling of the Warcraft universe, has been a sideshow compared to the TRUE war that has been raging all around us.

The War between the Light and the Shadow.

And what is Blizzard driving home regarding the Light and Shadow? They are reflections of each other. What one has, the other has an equivalent of. But these are not necessarily symmetrical

For example take the Old Gods. These are parasitic life forms that infect whole worlds. From the view outside the Vindicaar at the end of Antorus, it doesn't even matter if such a world has a Titan world soul, they will still infect and corrupt entire planets and ecosystems. And they were created by the Void Lords because they cannot manifest within the natural universe.

A Naaru is not as strong as an old god, but they have greater freedom of movement and they work by seducing (or outright compelling) mortals into serving the Light.

Now an Old God and a Naaru operate differently, have different levels of power and different approaches they still are doing the same job: guiding mortals to serve either side in the great war (Some Old Gods of course have a higher purpose, but that has to be pot luck if they land on a world with a world soul).

I suspect that just as the Naaru and the Old Gods appear to be counterparts that the Void Lords are faced with their own counterparts. Or maybe, just the one. If the Light represents Order, what needs does it have multiple voices? Why must be there multiple 'Light Lords'? What is more harmonious than a single voice and a single will?

What if there is only ONE counterpart to the Void Lords, an asymmetrical counterpart, stronger than any individual Void Lord but like them, unable to manifest in the physical universe.

What if Elune is that counterpart? Her and her alone?

I would be interested if Elune was a Titan -- only instead of planet, she is one of Azeroth's moons. It's feasible, but doubtful given that Azeroth's big thing now is that she is 'the final titan'.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Distance is an abstract concept when it comes to divinities yeah.
    what i mean is that loa aren't even on the same level as elune, they're only as strong as wild gods. most of them are just wild gods.

yet they can be contacted and grant boons through vast distances in space.

elune seems to be a true god, so her name should be seen in any non-evil race out in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Off topic, but I enjoyed looking down into the waters and area below the paths there and seeing a huge genesaur just kinda hanging around
    "Hey, Eonar, don't you think that guy could be helpful to defend the sanctuary?"

"Nah."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ningjinq View Post
    To be honest actually, I hope we find out Elune is not the lawful good entity of Warcraft. Night Elves could use character development like Velen got where he became more pragmatic with the Nauru.

Belves feel too..... blindly zealous to me in regards to Elune despite us never seeing her physical manifestation. (We even get to see the Troll Loas in BFA)
    I think that's a mis-characterization of how the night elves worship Elune. She is both Shadow & Light, we worship her as both. If she is either, then she is more likely Shadow than Light: she lives in the Great Dark Beyond, she is nocturnal, she is more powerful than the Old Gods.

She's not a benevolent entity either. At best she's ambivalent, at worst she's straight up malicious.

All elves worship power. The well of eternity, the sunwell, the nightwell, etc - Elune is no different - we worship her because we recognize she is something above almost everything else we have a scale for. Titans all seem powerful to us mortals, yet she created them. The Naaru seem powerful, she created them too. Elune's power was used to both kill Y'shaarj and expel N'zoth from the Emerald Nightmare: his own creation. Her connection to the old gods is unclear, but it's clear that even the slightest portion of her power is enough to overwhelm or kill them.

She's also clearly a real entity - the naaru and titans both speak of her - and sentient - her power actually does manifest even if she never takes a corporeal form - and she does clearly favor her worshipers, particularly the night elf priests.

She's definitely not lawful good though, neutral at best. Perhaps the most obvious evidence is the problem of evil - the best critique of any god - but it clearly applies to Elune as well. Sargeras? She could fix that, she doesn't want to. Toil and strife and so forth? Fixable, but she doesn't want to. She has the power to intervene - she's clearly aware of the events of our universe - she just likes watching us fight. Perhaps she is a god of war.

More likely, she's a Lovecraftian-type god - her logic and will is unfathomable, and her power is beyond our comprehension, and her age is beyond our measuring. She exists, sleeping in the sky overhead, and tomorrow she could wake up and kill us all, or not.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-12-15 at 05:47 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

I assume Eonaar named the planet after a being she admired as it looks to be filled with nature fitting with the overall theme of Elune.

How Elunaria is depicted makes me think Elune is neither light or void however. But a god of life and thereby nature.

To generally speculate - The first being created when the light and void clashed at the beginning of the universe. Finding that the power of the void was not compatible, Elune used her power to give form to the spirits of light and created the Naaru, The Naaru did not wish for her peace however and instead they simply continued the war. The spirits in the void were angered by the creation Naaru and began to act as the Void Lords aggravating the situation. Dismayed by her mistake Elune withdrew from direct involvement in the universe and would go on to plant seeds and watch from afar until the time was right.

With the light taking a sinister tone we need a benevolent 3rd party to guide and assist our hero's, we have been fighting for life from the start anyway so it's no change in direction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    She is both Shadow & Light, we worship her as both. If she is either, then she is more likely Shadow than Light
    She's not a benevolent entity either. At best she's ambivalent, at worst she's straight up malicious.
    Are there any lore/hints pointing to any of this? I don't remember anything associating her with shadow.

Elune's power was used to both kill Y'shaarj
    Didn't Aman'Thul literally rip it from the ground?

expel N'zoth from the Emerald Nightmare: his own creation
    The Emerald Nightmare was just a corrupted part of the Emerald Dream. The dream wasn't created by N'zoth, his presence was just a "guest" there.

Sargeras? She could fix that, she doesn't want to.
    Now, thats interesting. Is there anything, at all, hinting that she could defeat/fix/kill Sargeras? Besides wildly assumed powerlevels?

More likely, she's a Lovecraftian-type god - her logic and will is unfathomable, and her power is beyond our comprehension, and her age is beyond our measuring. She exists, sleeping in the sky overhead, and tomorrow she could wake up and kill us all, or not.
    She doesn't seem anything like that to me. If she was so much "above" those things, why does she answer the pleas and speak to the Night Elf Priestesses, for instance? Why does she empowers and helps them? They are so insignificant on cosmic scale.

To me it seems that she wants to be involved, but simply lacks the power to fix all that is wrong. Maybe she is like the Void Lords(the most powerful ones), she is stuck outside of reality and can only manifest herself for brief periods of time, making difference here and there, but not enough to lead on a full scale war with the Void or the Legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

ELUNE = SARGERAS!!!!
    ELUNExSARGERAS!!!

Cringe.

/10char

Deleted
    Plot twist, Elune is the Light itself, or at least one of the beings representing it, akin to the Void Lords, and cannot physically enter our universe, just like them.

She is possibly the creator of the titans and/or Naaru.

This can be seen as priests following Elune gain similar powers to ordinary priests following the Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    The way i see it:
    Elune is a "true" god while the Titans are not. The Titans were simply Elune's first children, while we (the mortal races) are the second generation. The Naaru are basically "angels"...and just like angels they can fall to darkness as well. I presume the firstborne (Titans) have disappointed Elune with the path Sargeras took...and she now favors us over them.
    I agree. We do know that Elune is linked to the titans because after all it was her who reached out to Ysera and turned her into a constellation. Ysera, like all Dragon Aspects, was a creation of the titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ningjinq View Post
    To be honest actually, I hope we find out Elune is not the lawful good entity of Warcraft. Night Elves could use character development like Velen got where he became more pragmatic with the Nauru.

Belves feel too..... blindly zealous to me in regards to Elune despite us never seeing her physical manifestation. (We even get to see the Troll Loas in BFA)
    Yeah, let's turn everything in a fantasy universe into gray areas and destroy the last bits of mythology that survived the WoW lore because trusting a godlike entity that has helped your race on many occasions is clearly a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, when I read the name of her world/pocket dimension, whatever as "Elunaria", I too had the thought that Eonar could be Elune as well (or at least, she's in some way in league with Elune I guess). The first thing that lead me to this conclusion was actually some logical leaping with titan relics on Azeroth.

Lets start with the Legion "Pillars of Creation":

1)The Aegis of Aggramar
    2)The Tidestone of Golganneth (spelling)
    3)The Hammer of Khaz'Goroth
    4)The Eye of Amun'Thul
    5)The Tear of Elune

Now, not only is Elune a little out of place, as she isn't a titan, but three titans are conspicuously absent: Norgannon, Eonar and Sargeras. Now, let's make a logical leap, knowing that we've seen similar items in the past that share a very similar naming scheme to the Pillars, and also seem to grant powers related to their particular titan, and let's make a new list of these "Pillars of Creation"-esque items.

1)The Aegis of Aggramar
    2)The Tidestone of Golganneth (spelling)
    3)The Hammer of Khaz'Goroth
    4)The Eye of Amun'Thul
    5)The Tear of Elune
    6)The Discs of Norgannon
    7)The Eye of Sargeras (Bonus Points to this possibly being some kind of "6th" Pillar of Creation, or at least a mockery of them, as it was even located on the Broken Isles)

Now, the only absent titan is Eonar. So my little headcannoned theory has always been that the Tear of Elune was initally know as the <Something> of Eonar, however, unlike the other relics, which were either entrusted to Titanic entities (Archaedes(Discs) and Odyn(Aegis)), or one of the Dragonflights, who kept the titanic names (Blacks/Neltharion got the hammer, Senegos/Malygos/Blues got the Tidestone). The two eyes seem to be oddities, as they both seem to have ended up through unknown means in the hands of Nightelves, but kept their titanic names.

Which brings us back to our mystery pillar. Now, I've always kind of headcannoned that maybe, like the Hammer, and Tidestone; the "Tear" was given to Ysera/the Green dragonflight. Perhaps at some point (Maybe when she was sleeping in the Dream), she entrusted the priestesses of Elune with it, and the relic became know by a new name. Or perhaps, Eonar appeared and entrusted the priestesses with it herself, maybe introducing herself as Elune to gain their trust or devotion? This second theory would also explain how the two "eye" relics ended up in Night Elven civilization while retaining their titanic names.

Regardless, there definitely seems to be some connection between the two.
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

Tying in the Disks of Norgannon and the Eye of Sargeras is a really interesting link that I agree with. Does Brann still canonically have that pet stone watcher with the disks of Norgannon stuck to it? We saw it in the beta but it was cut from the Highmountain quest chain.
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.