Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

"We have forgotten what makes us strong"

I see all these panda generation threads about how "why is there waaaar, why don't we just fight oooollddd gooooooods"?????

What the fuck do you think got us to the point where we could even hold the line against the Legion, let alone void lords and whatever other bullshit Blizzard retcons into future iterations of lore?

WAR. Between the factions of this world. Compare Azeroth's armies from the first war to those of Warcraft 3, by War 3 they had:

-> Siege weapons
    -> Aerial platforms
    -> Highly more powerful magics
    -> Much thicker armor and weapons
    -> Vastly greater experience in combat against multiple types of adversaries
    -> Experience at fighting undead and some form of fel magics
    -> Stronger architecture
    -> Explosives
    -> Improved army and racial cohesion between army members
    -> Ability to bring people back from the dead, whether as undead or in their past living form
    -> Ability to command and communicate with demons and elementals

And the last goes on...

And yet, did you see what happened to us during Warcraft 3? We almost got ass raped by one Legion high commander (granted, one of the strongest, but it still goes to show how unprepared we were since we barely defeated him...temporarily).

And on top of that, you want to forgive and forget 20+ years of hatreds and bad blood (Theramore, Stormwind, Stromgarde, internment camps, butcherings and betrayals) cause big bad #22658301 was defeated and go fight Mr. Void lord with your Glowing Brightwood Staff v. 25 +1000^1000 spell power?

Yeah, good luck with that.

As much as Blizzard is up their own ass with trying to emulate real world problems and events into WoW for no good reason, there is obviously still a small crew of people there who know that a lot of people still play Warcraft for the same reason a lot of people still get crazy over a new Warhammer game: hint: WAR. Not fucking Peacecraft, not Peacehammer, WAR. It's not fucking complicated.

No one bought Warcraft 1, 2 or 3 or WoW or even up to WOTLK because they wanted to play a game about making peace with each other. Pandaria tried and failed miserably at taking the lessons from Warcraft 3 and trying way too hard to shove them in our face without any of the subtlety that War 3 used. Fuck pandaria, no one gives a fuck about that place, to this day monks and pandaren are still one of the lowest played race/class combos in the game, despite being heralded as "EVERYONE WANTS THEM SO BAD". Yeah. Fuck that shit.

"We have forgotten what makes us strong." Yes we fucking have, thank you for taking the time to making a cinematic and expansion truly worthy of reminding us. Except for lack of naval combat, you really done fucked up on that one Blizzard.

Do you actually have a point, or did you just really feel a need to rant?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    exactly. We don't win because we're the best flower pickers, we win because we've basically been fighting everyone forever.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Here's a hint huth, though I doubt you're here for a reason other than to increase your overinflated post count, more than 75% of which is probably filled with posts as meaningless as that one: when someone writes using paragraphs, proper spelling and punctuation, bullet points and an introduction, body and conclusion, it's not a rant or "TLDR" as your fucked up generation refers to it, it's called an opinion, and learning how to read without "TLDR" is the first step to understand what such a thing is.

Let me know when you're done with a 200 word resume of what you understood, otherwise do me the favor of reporting yourself for flaming a thread.

Deleted
    I agree with this but could have been told shorter. Hope you got all that frustration out bro

What if I just like to write words? What then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Here's a hint huth, though I doubt you're here for a reason other than to increase your overinflated post count, more than 75% of which is probably filled with posts as meaningless as that one: when someone writes using paragraphs, proper spelling and punctuation, bullet points and an introduction, body and conclusion, it's not a rant or "TLDR" as your fucked up generation refers to it, it's called an opinion, and learning how to read without "TLDR" is the first step to understand what such a thing is.
    I guess the long periods between your bursts of posting is when your main account gets banned or isn't banned? Or is it just the time between the bans on this account?

10+ Year Old Account
    You must've skipped MoP, because it wasn't about "peace". It was about why we fight, and what's worth fighting for. And right now, it's certainly not worth fighting over grudges when there are two ancient enemies at play (and very likely pulling strings to eliminate/corrupt the strong).

Sylvanas is wrong in this case. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but it's those who emerge that are strong. Not those who conclude they are; she certainly didn't stick around to fight against the Legion or many other battles. I don't blame her, she is superstitious about her own death, and she'd rather build strength despite it being counterproductive and bad timing (Wrathion tried the same method).
    Last edited by Polybius; 2017-12-13 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    The point is quite obvious if you get your nose out of the way, rant or not.
    No, it really isn't. Lots of words, no meat, and most of it is just "there must be war because it's called warcraft" and "lolpandas", neither of which is exactly convincing.

He's also confusing game mechanics with lore.

Let me know when you're done with a 200 word resume of what you understood, otherwise do me the favor of reporting yourself for flaming a thread.
    In short, you were ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, it really isn't. Lots of words, no meat, and most of it is just "there must be war because it's called warcraft" and "lolpandas", neither of which is exactly convincing.

He's also confusing game mechanics with lore.

In short, you were ranting.
    Congratulations, you got 1 more useless post to your counter. Please, continue.

Congratulations, you got 1 more useless post to your counter. Please, continue.
    Why is that your go-to argument whenever someone says something you don't like? Get more creative son.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Why is that your go-to argument whenever someone says something you don't like? Get more creative son.
    What am I supposed to reply to someone who labels my entire post with memes and no substance arguments?

I just label him back.

What am I supposed to reply to someone who labels my entire post with memes and no substance arguments?

I just label him back.
    That excuse only works sometimes. You literally say to many many posters all they're doing is "adding to their post count". You're the only person I've seen that puts relevance into that and it's boring now.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

It's funny that the insult you chose out of all possible insults was "panda generation" because that very expansion made a fucking humongous point of telling that the factions are stronger because of having each other to fight. Sounds like you'd have loved that expansion had you been less judgmental based on appearances

Yeah...no.

It's nice that you bring up WC3 Archimonde as an example of how "faction warfare made us stronger"...because if the Orcs had not attacked the Night Elves for the exact same reasons they are told to do again and again and again in the WoW era....Cenarius would have kicked Archimonde's ass. The faction conflict obviously made not only us but the whole world weaker.

Also: This is a thread about how (in the lore) we (supposedly) get stronger by war that the lore creates itself to keep going. Sorry, but that is not a good foundation to build a logical argumentation on. We can just look at the lore and say "Well, objectively speaking none of these characters (Thalyssra, Liadrin, Baine, Mayla and more) behave the way they would if they were sane...the lore tells us they should be sane...so obviously the lore is fucked up."

I have absolutely no problem with faction warfare if it makes sense. It DOES make sense for Sylvanas to want war because she is an Undead Banshee who hates life in all shapes and forms. I DO have a problem however, when Blizzard tells me all the other Horde Leaders, who are supposeldly mentally stable and can still very much remember Garrosh, follow suit. That is the point where it simply makes no sense and becomes a clown show. You may think war is so incredibly cool that a clown show is good enough justification - this is where we disagree. I think there should be reasons for war - just as there should be reasons for peace. Remember Grommash growling "Draenor is freeeeeeeeeee!" towards the two people that he tried to genocide for the first 75% of WoD? That was an occasion where there was NO FUCKING REASON to be cool with peace.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2017-12-13 at 03:25 AM.

Deleted
    Conjecture. I don't care. What i care is for the play experience and storyline to evolve, not to go back to what we have already done.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    "Panda generation", he says.

Listen, I've literally played these games since I was six years old, starting with Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. I've seen them fight each other. I've seen Night Elves and the Scourge thrown into the mix. There have always been gaps between wars, periods where things die down and people rebuild, expand, explore, and even work together.

What gets boring is constantly going from war to war to war to war, with no logical explanation of how we haven't completely stripped our resources bare and lost the bulk of our armed forces. We should all be in economic turmoil right now, with minor factions nipping at our heels in an attempt to tear off a piece for themselves. I mean really, the Class Halls did a huge amount of work, but the Alliance and Horde threw tons of forces into the conflict as well, not to mention all the Invasions.

I'm rambling, but tl;dr: it makes sense that sometimes things calm down and people step away from war to fix shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mists of Pandaria was still quite an amazing expansion regardless.

"Only Beasts are above deceit" - Rexxar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post

I'm rambling, but tl;dr: it makes sense that sometimes things calm down and people step away from war to fix shit.
    Realistically, yes. But calming down is kind of anathema to a combat focused game. The closest we'll ever get is probably something like Mists where the stakes are relatively low (at least at the outset), but a lot of people crap all over MoP so it's doubtful we'll get anything like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggit View Post
    Realistically, yes. But calming down is kind of anathema to a combat focused game. The closest we'll ever get is probably something like Mists where the stakes are relatively low (at least at the outset), but a lot of people crap all over MoP so it's doubtful we'll get anything like that again.
    It looks like BfA is indeed headed this way.