Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMccrum View Post
    I've genuinely thought for almost a decade that the "Age of Creativity" died in around 2007. Running around in BC with the 2004-2007 music was just way different than it would be today.

It was also the birth of 3D in the industry. it was amazing, if you watch the WoW doc Chris Metzen talks about how difficult that jump was from 2D art to 3D art, it took him some time to get used to.

I feel like creativity is dying because the world is changing, the internet is sadly a very addictive escape mechanism where anyone can use it and pretend to be someone they're not, and I'm not a 60 year old man saying this, I'm a 22 year old that has been practically raised by the internet and WoW. It's bad, for everyone.

Everything in moderation, even world of warcraft was no joke. but somewhere along the line what was moderate changed, and now you have people chained to their PC's. nobody is using the real world as inspiration like Tolkien did in his epic, or like Miyamoto did, running through the forest coming up with the ideas for Zelda.

The 07 depression didn't go away, there has been no lift, we're progressively degrading, we've all become addicted to the internet and just jumping from new hotness to new hotness. It's really insane if you think about it, constantly consuming.

People used to go to malls and drink a milkshake and grab a burger with their friends, now all the malls are shut down and you can buy a milkshake machine for $20 from amazon and hang out on skype or discord. A lot of people don't even go outside anymore.

Even WoW wasn't inventive really. it stole (yes, stole) it's mechanics from Everquest and Ultima.

It stole it's lore from every mythology, old novels and warhammer fantasy.

warhammer stole from everywhere too, everything you could possibly imagine is on that warhammer fantasy or 40k wikia, every possible scenario has some sprawling novel of lore that makes it "possible"

everything is a derivative, of a derivative, of a derivative. but the thing is, where did this trend start? maybe people have literally been doing this since the greeks, just stealing and adapting.
    some wise words right there

Deleted
    It's called nostalgia.

Jesus christ.

To some people 2010 will be the so called golden age in 20 years or whatever.

Deleted
    I disagree, there was a ton of game designed after movies/comics/whatever, and PS1 was the pinnacle of shitty games (many games had camera problems, and were half-assed, which made them hard to even play).

Even vanilla wasn't that creative, most of its creatures were stereotypical fantasy creatures. The only original part of WoW/Warcraft I can think of is orcs not being that dumb.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2017-12-05 at 04:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    It's called nostalgia.

Jesus christ.

To some people 2010 will be the so called golden age in 20 years or whatever.
    Are you sure?
    I see the top movies of all time in IMDB and it only shows old movies.
    I think people were more creative back then for some reason unknown to me :S

Quote Originally Posted by Bored Trafalgar View Post
    Are you sure?
    The 00s were far from a creative wonderland. That was the age of "here's your yearly Madden/CoD/insert game here". Bland overly "realistic" graphics and the age of get it out quickly. Sure there were exceptions to this, but they were the exception not the standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure?
    First, please let threads die. There is no reason to keep bumping this thread as you clearly aren't actually contributing to the conversation.

#1 '94
    #4 '08
    #8 '03
    #14 '10
    #32 '14

There is a healthy mix, you're being dishonest.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

Everything is a re-make today, not because things were necessarily better back in the 80's or 90's but because nostalgia is strong right now. People who grew up in the 80's and 90's have a lot of discretionary money these days and are willing to spend lots of money on nostalgia. Media companies also view old franchises as safer bets - in terms of funding the projects - because the franchises are already established and do not require anywhere near the investment in advertising and word of mouth to push. People naturally gravitate towards familiar things. It just takes a lot more effort to get some one to buy something new compared to something new that is based on something old.

Why are the 80's and 90's so filled with cool stuff? Because it was the dawn of the modern age in terms of cable TV (more stations to broadcast a wider variety of programs) and video games (an entirely new medium). It was also the time when regulations about advertising to children were loosened, which saw a plethora of shows and movies created specifically designed to be vehicles for the sale of toys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    First, please let threads die. There is no reason to keep bumping this thread as you clearly aren't actually contributing to the conversation.

#1 '94
    #4 '08
    #8 '03
    #14 '10
    #32 '14

There are some exceptions but the vast, vast, vast majority is old movies. From the 00's tops.
    It's really not a healthy mix like you said.

Back then there was this sense of discovery. Everyone was trying to be new and exciting.
    Nowadays all we do is remakes and hide behind the past.

Just look at the big upcoming movies.
    Jurassic World
    Jumanji
    Avengers Infinity
    Fifty Shades Freed
    Maze Runner
    The Predator
    Tomb Raider

You see? Don't you see a trend of remakes and poor movies? This was not true back then

Source of trending movies: https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/popular/2018

10+ Year Old Account
    There are some exceptions but the vast, vast, vast majority is old movies. From the 00's tops.
    It's really not a healthy mix like you said.

Back then there was this sense of discovery. Everyone was trying to be new and exciting.
    Nowadays all we do is remakes and hide behind the past.

Just look at the big upcoming movies.
    Jurassic World
    Jumanji
    Avengers Infinity
    Fifty Shades Freed
    Maze Runner
    The Predator
    Tomb Raider

You see? Don't you see a trend of remakes and poor movies? This was not true back then

Source of trending movies: https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/popular/2018
    You've moved completely off topic.

WoW wasn't unique in the game genre of MMORPGS.

Warcraft in and of itself isn't unique. Even if you don't buy into the Warhammer rip off theories. As elves, orcs, and other fantasy races have been present since Tolkien in 1937, and "green skinned horde" as early as 1912.

As far as the early 2000s being the golden age of creativity let me remind that the Star Wars prequels came out between 1999-2005.
    Spider-man 1-3 [Toby Maguire] (2002-2007) *based on comics*
    Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) *based on books*

This was most assuredly NOT the golden age of creativity, or even originality.

You're right the last 20-30 years hasn't been overly creative in the sense that their work is original. WoW is definitely included in the unoriginal bunch though.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2017-12-11 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Yeah man. The era of copy-pasted boy bands and female pop singers was the height of creativity. Remember that one movie about that wacky inventor/professor character who's invention gets way out of hand?

Honey we shrunk the kids and Spy kids with the thumb people were the pinnacle of cinema.

Am i the only one who feels like the 90's/00's was a better time for creativity in gaming, movies, songs and entertainment in general?
    For some reason i feel like what we have today in the entertainment business is just a remake of something great created in the 80's/90's/00's.
    Back then people didn't use to rely on the fame of previous inventions like today.
    Hell even the most played game in the world (League of Legends) came from Warcraft III, the grandfather of all MOBA games.
    Doesn't it seem to you that we live today on the shadows of previous achievements?

It's almost as if people don't want to create something new and be imaginative and take risks. All companies want nowadays is a cash grab from a copy of something created in the old days.

And because of the lack of creativity we have today in our society...we decide to go back in time with Wow: Classic...to a better time because we simply forgot how to be passionate about something and be creative without thinking about the money.

You agree back then was the Golden Age for creativity? Or am i being a old fart.

Indeed kind Sirs, Discuss, humm yeah, Indeed.
    Discussion for Snobs lol
    Agreed that the 90s/00s put out some great stuff, but bear in mind even then these things were still copies of what came before while improving upon some of the systems. Been a while since I watched the video, but the first online RPG came out in something like the 70s or 80s and was text based. RTS games existed for long before Warcraft as well.
    The true golden age came from the late 70s to mid 80s, and while i am born in 1980, more of that was before my time and/or I was old enough to enjoy it. After the great E.T. debacle, the resurgence of games was truely at its peak. Sporting things like new graphics and design ideas that had never been contimplated before.

Deleted
    Warcraft in and of itself isn't unique. Even if you don't buy into the Warhammer rip off theories. As elves, orcs, and other fantasy races have been present since Tolkien in 1937, and "green skinned horde" as early as 1912.
    And the old gods come from H.P. Lovecraft.

#1 '94
    #4 '08
    #8 '03
    #14 '10
    #32 '14

That's a pretty awful list. LotR were good films, but hardly classics. Shawshank Redemption as the best film ever? Really? Inception, I thought was absolutely dreadful, don't get the love for it, much less rating it among the best movies of all time.

Since only a certain section of people are likely to spend time looking through a site like that and then spend more time voting on it, its a selective group's opinion. Then you have problems like the tendency to vote the lowest or highest rating, which would heavily favor films that are the least offensive or have no turn-offs. That is, the blander, the better.

I would say Hollywood has been going downhill since the 70's. That doesn't mean it will keep getting worse, but I don't have a problem with "golden ages" in the various art forms. Right now, TV is resurgent while movies and video games are stagnating. In another decade it will be different, no doubt.