Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Hint: The 'innovative ideas' that will be acquired and implemented will be those that favor the acquiring entity, not the general public.
    I don't think there's any getting through to that one. If I had to guess by his posts, he's financially and socially about as far removed from the "general public" as anyone could be. That is to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's not actual ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    The acquiring entity isn't evil or bad though.
    No, they are amoral; which is oftentimes just as harmful to society as 'evil' or 'bad'.

A new idea isn't automatically better than the status quo and the megacorps still have to be judicious with their acquisitions if they want to stay competitive over the long run.
    That's the great thing about monopolies; when you're that big you carry the weight of inertia and only have to be judicious in terms of recognizing threats. You have absolutely no incentive to respect your employees or your consumers. See: telecoms companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The acquiring entity isn't evil or bad though. A new idea isn't automatically better than the status quo and the megacorps still have to be judicious with their acquisitions if they want to stay competitive over the long run.
    That's the problem though. "Competitive" only benefits the company. It's the government's place to say "hey no, you're going too far with what you consider competitive and it's now our job to ensure the people are protected and treated fairly." That's why net neutrality exists: To stop big companies from having too much power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ben Shapiro weighs in on Net Neutrality and how it benefits big corporations over the proverbial "little guy."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Netflix pays ISPs to host their servers in a datacenter, while their UI is housed at Amazon’s AWS. What you are asking for already exists, while the result of what you are supporting, would mean your Netflix menu will be slowed down, since AWS would be impacted, if Wal-Mart paid for priority over Amazon.
    Netflix content doesn't deserve priority. The revenue per data amount isn't that high. Also watching a lot of movies is for lemmings, the value of the content is no where near applications like Amazon, Google search, Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It’s more fun than that. Every time you hit a page you posted on, you’d be paying to read your own post... over... and over... and over again...
    Which is fine, since text is practically free. It's mainly HD video that is getting a free ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Ben Shapiro weighs in on Net Neutrality and how it benefits big corporations over the proverbial "little guy."

Ben Shapiro is out of his element, no wonder. We have historical proof that the big ISPs will abuse the shit out of this.

Anyway, it confuses me to see americans go thru this shit, as developed as they are - they're still pretty behind on internet 'freedoms' compared to the EU and parts of Asia... data caps and throttling on land lines would spark an outrage over here. I don't know how anyone can defend the status quo.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-12-13 at 05:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Netflix content doesn't deserve priority.
    No content 'deserves' priority barring, you know, emergency broadcasts and emergency information.

The revenue per data amount isn't that high. Also watching a lot of movies is for lemmings, the value of the content is no where near applications like Amazon, Google search, Wikipedia.
    All three of which are staunchly against the repeal of net neutrality because the services they offer will be throttled based on the whims of ISPs rather than how valuable they are to consumers.

"Streaming" also includes educational material, news, and documentaries by the by.

Which is fine, since text is practically free. It's mainly HD video that is getting a free ride.
    That feeling when you remember that one of the chief priorities of conservatives is fucking over lower and middle class consumers, which puts the attacks on things like Netflix and more consumer-friendly alternatives to traditional cable bundling in their proper light.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Ben Shapiro is out of his element, no wonder. We have historical proof that the big ISPs will abuse the shit out of this.
    That video is over 10 minutes long and you posted your reply well within that time, which means you didn't view/listen to it and therefore have no idea what you're talking about.

We only had Net Neutrality for the last couple of years of the Obama administration. The internet was fine without Net Neutrality before that.

Yeah I tried to listen to Shapiro's point of view, but knew he was full of shit the moment he said everything was fine before NN was put in place. The ISPs had been abusing their power for years and it was only going to get worse. So no, I didn't listen to the rest of it. He's either lying or misinformed and shouldn't be giving an opinion.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2017-12-13 at 05:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That video is over 10 minutes long and you posted your reply well within that time, which means you didn't view/listen to it and therefore have no idea what you're talking about.
    It's Ben Shapiro; he harps upon the same set of tired old trickle-down talking points over and over again.

Like with anti-vaxxers, at some point denial of reality just discredits the entirety of what you say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's Ben Shapiro; he harps upon the same set of tired old trickle-down talking points over and over again.
    Okay, live in ignorance. It's your life, not mine.

Sucks that I don't know how this will affect me, and yet there is nothing I can do about it.

Fingers crossed - the effects can't travel over water

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

We only had Net Neutrality for the last couple of years of the Obama administration. The internet was fine without Net Neutrality before that.
    The internet didn't really have FHD/4K content then. Fiber and other high speed alternatives were sparse. Major providers were able to fuck you over with impunity.
    Let's face it, the ISPs want to maximise profit w/o investing in the infrastructure. That's why we keep seeing the 'oh, but random Joe is using the network to watch 4K content while Billy only writes on his blog' argument.

Okay, live in ignorance. It's your life, not mine.
    Pretty ironic, coming from you.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-12-13 at 05:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and prior to its introduction ISPs were already doing some highly shady things to fuck over consumers.

Regulations come into existence to address issues, not 'just because'.

10+ Year Old Account
    The internet didn't really have FHD/4K content then.
    They were around. Here's another video that smashes the misconceptions about Net Neutrality...

You know a video will be good when it starts with "I've decided to make a video absolutely destroying arguments for net neutrality"

10+ Year Old Account
    You know a video will be good when it starts with "I've decided to make a video absolutely destroying arguments for net neutrality"
    Man it's almost as if these internet hot takes are just that and don't represent any meaningful form of academic discourse in which you analyse the positive and negative aspects of an issue while still making a case for your thesis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Rush will be more to your liking...

And comments about Twitter being "triggered", giggled furiously at that. I got to the point where he tried to rebut the first "point", but his attempt to describe the "point" was a word salad of dumb and I'm not awake enough to try to translate his rambling into some form of coherent English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Rush will be more to your liking...
    Man it's almost as if these conservative talk radio hot takes are just that and don't represent any meaningful form of academic discourse in which you analyse the positive and negative aspects of an issue while still making a case for your thesis.