Poll: Is cannabis illegal for sinister reasons?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Easier to ask if you know who Harry J. Anslinger was and why his ideas are still policy today in most of the world. His idea of "helping" conveniently enriched himself and played well with the bigoted lawmakers at the time. His idea of alcohol prohibition had unintended consequences but surely a repeat with cannabis would show different results...

Drug dealers, smugglers and users are lobbed together with human traffickers and arms dealers today because of this scumbag. Legalize weed already before the criminal overworld takes over and assists bigots keeping things the way they are. Insanely profitable with more money than you can spend with 0 to pay in taxes. People want weed so who are you to stop them? They're only harming themselves like we do with many other substances. Everybody choose for themselves whether they want it or need to try it. It's so widespread you're criminalizing half the population of the world with this hetz. Stigmas die hard.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2017-12-13 at 02:55 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Marijuana use disorder becomes addiction when the person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. Estimates of the number of people addicted to marijuana are controversial, in part because epidemiological studies of substance use often use dependence as a proxy for addiction even though it is possible to be dependent without being addicted. Those studies suggest that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it,24,25 rising to about 17 percent in those who start using in their teens.26,27

In 2015, about 4.0 million people in the United States met the diagnostic criteria for a marijuana use disorder;3 138,000 voluntarily sought treatment for their marijuana use.28

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...uana-addictive

At least 4 million people in the US stay stones as much as they can. This impacts their jobs and their family. Society will pay for this through higher welfare costs and loss of productivity. Once weed is made legal, this number will increase, maybe 5-6 million stoners.

Loss of productivity is why weed is illegal in almost every country on the planet.
    No it isn’t.

Deleted
    Marijuana use disorder becomes addiction when the person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. Estimates of the number of people addicted to marijuana are controversial, in part because epidemiological studies of substance use often use dependence as a proxy for addiction even though it is possible to be dependent without being addicted. Those studies suggest that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it,24,25 rising to about 17 percent in those who start using in their teens.26,27

In 2015, about 4.0 million people in the United States met the diagnostic criteria for a marijuana use disorder;3 138,000 voluntarily sought treatment for their marijuana use.28

At least 4 million people in the US stay stones as much as they can. This impacts their jobs and their family. Society will pay for this through higher welfare costs and loss of productivity. Once weed is made legal, this number will increase, maybe 5-6 million stoners.

Loss of productivity is why weed is illegal in almost every country on the planet.
    What a total crock of shit.

I'd be more convinced by the arguments that it results in interracial sex lol.

Hardly.
    The world need less losers high on drugs, not more of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    They have got nixon on tape, admitting that the purpose behind making it (actually) illegal was so that blacks and hippies cant vote anymore (because they are in prison).
    And yes Pharma industries have a "sinister" (as in profit driven) reason to keep it from being legalized.
    Thats not really something you can have opinions about.
    Question is: Are there also non sinister reasons that its still "illegal"
    Nixon was not president when marijuana was made illegal. He may not have even been born. He may have used that as a reason for keeping it illegal though

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Us doesn’t have a patent on marijuana as it is federally illegal.
    Don't state something as fact unless you know for 100% certain you know what you are talking about.

U.S. Patent 6630507

It's on the Federal Schedule One list. It has a patent regarding it's medicinal qualities regardless of it's status with the DEA as an illegal substance.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Whatever you say.
    That is not ALL that patents speaks on. Don't cherry pick to make you're already invalid point more so.

10+ Year Old Account
    You ever heard of hemp? that's the reason it's banned.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Nixon was not president when marijuana was made illegal. He may not have even been born. He may have used that as a reason for keeping it illegal though
    Are you for real?

- - - Updated - - -

Holly fuck thats some far beyond level of stupidity and ignorance.
    Besides wow and republican propaganda do you read anything else?

Also I have to give you props for linking a gov site thats funded by the anti-cannabis tobacco/pharma/private prison systems.
    What are you gonna link next? saynoto"drugs".GOV - Debunking the ton of medical and scientific studies proving the benefits of CBD on countless medical issues ?
    Last edited by Vorkreist; 2017-12-14 at 10:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brimdog View Post
    exactly. Though when you try to explain that to the sheep you may as well be speaking another language.
    So I have noticed... Drives me nuts that I can't figure out *why* some people have such a hard time with that concept.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Really obnoxious to see all the junkposts denying any possibility of weed being illegal for sinister reasons when it's intensively well documented and backed up with historical facts that weed, indeed, was made illegal through sinister practices.

Tiring to see people jump in to add their unhelpful and ignorant 'NUHUHUH LOLZ TINFOAL HAT XDD' comments. Like, do 2 minutes of Googling before you decide to weigh in on something you clearly don't know very well.

I am not really into pot. I smoked some of it plenty of times in my life. Mostly when i was young. I never really liked it much.
    I do think that it is way better for society than alcohol and a lot of prescription drugs. I know a lot of people who have anger issues. Pot helps them stay mellow and is probably better for their health than prescription drugs. I would rather be around people who are high on pot than people who are drunk. Drunks are more violent, act stupid and annoying.
    I hate the smell of pot being smoked. It smells like shit. I would think the smoke from it is not good for your lungs but you can eat it or vaporize it instead.
    I think it is pretty good for mental health for a lot of people. Makes them less violent. It definitely causes less problems than alcohol. I live in Colorado and i do not see it as a problem being legal here.
    I have never felt any hostilities around people who were stoned on pot.
    I can imagine the paper, fiber companies, chemical companies and pharmaceutical companies would prefer pot is not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post

It is illegal for sinister reasons. Mostly it make the corrupt prison system money. Something like 50% of the prison population is solely from marijuana related charges.
    you should get better sources... ones that dont make you look like a fucking idiot.

Infracted - flaming
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2017-12-15 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    you should get better sources... ones that dont make you look like a fucking idiot.
    I wouldn't say that 50% of the prison population is from Marijuana alone , but about 50% of it is stemming from drug charges.

Roughly half (48.6 percent) are in for drug offenses. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are 1,358,875 people in state prisons. Of them, 16 percent have a drug crime as their most serious offense. There were also 744,600 inmates in county and city jails
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...incarceration/
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Title.

More specifically that if Cannabis ends up being a miracle drug that it would make the entire pharma industry and a lot of doctors look either very stupid or corrupt.
    Just like the golden rule in astronomy and astrophysics is "it's never aliens", the golden rule in biomedical research is "there are no miracle drugs". And while we might find actual aliens, because at least we know intelligent life can happen (we have at least us as, umm, one data point), it's pretty clear at this point we won't be finding a "miracle drug" ever, for basic biological reasons.

Also, what makes you think pharma industry doesn't research cannabinoids now that the political climate is more amenable? They are. Take these guys: https://www.gwpharm.com/

"sinister", "miracle drug" .....

Sounds like you could use a joint to tone down the drama a little.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that conservative politics and being right wing myself i don't share this ideology at all, believe that legalizing or decriminalizing certain drugs makes it so that drugs become an easy platform to get into. The stepping stone argument.

They still cling on to the ideology of repression, something that has not worked in the age of Capone and still does not work today. Targeting the distributors and dealers does not work, simply due to the money involved, 5K a week is nothing in the drug business (not only speaking about weed here). And so that's why they want to keep it fully illegal and criminal the use of it. While i believe targeting the users, breaking the taboo of drug use as shown in swiss and portugal will net far better returns on government money spend vs decrease of use.

I also don't fully share the ideology of the more left leaning people that weed is harmless, weed 10 years ago perhaps, weed currently is not. It is grown much more professional, there are ton of additives being added to it, there's a whole science behind it that has been perfected resulting in much stronger weed, i do still find it is a lesser drug compared to alcohol and far less 'addictive', but i rate alcohol even easily above cocaine and below heroine. (Ignoring the tons of designer drugs flooding the streets)

Yes, totally sinister reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its illegal because of lobbyist piggybacked off the old school Christian Bible thumpers of the 50s and 60s...... So it is in a way "sinister", but not conspiratorial like some people make it out to be.

I don't find greed and lobbyism to be particularly sinister reasons for it being illegal.
    While it is also folly to disregard the medicinal properties of Cannabis it does irk me whenever people tout it as a miracle drug that can cure cancer in all its forms, it is a much better alternative than opiates when it comes to pain management but I do not believe for a second that it is a definitive cure for cancer.