Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyGuysHello View Post
    Why wouldn't this end the way SOPA and PIPA did?
    SOPA and PIPA were affirmative laws being passed by Congress, this is the executive (Trump) undoing regulations put in place by the FCC (under Obama) that used existing law, questionably. If anything, Trump is probably hoping for a court challenge because it will likely bar future administrations from doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Life was better before the Internet. If it kills social media, it will be worth losing Netflix.
    This is factually incorrect. Life was absolutely not better before the internet.

7+ Year Old Account
    This just in, Americans voted a greedy, selfish, corporate businessman into power and now it's screwing them over because he's buying supporters. But land of the free, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    For how long though? That's the million dollar question. Eventually Canada, the EU/UK will follow suit.

Canada will see change much quicker for obvious reasons (they don't have much competition either). The EU though? I'll give it < a decade.
    I could see it pass in UK, in Canada, not even a chance. Just recently Canadian equivalanet of the FCC knocked down the ISPs giving free download to particular apps as an incentive, making it illegal. So in fact Canada made the opposite, going towards even more net neutrality.

Well, everyone better get used to paying much more for everything, as well as getting used to the significant increase of security vulnerabilities and privacy breeches that are bound to happen by allowing your ISPs to look through and sell your packages however they wish now. Either that or get used to paying more per month on internet for using a VPN, while likely getting throttled by your ISP for using that very VPN, all on top of paying for tiered data from the ISPs.

Well, you're getting what you voted for.
    Isn't that good?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Life was better before the Internet. If it kills social media, it will be worth losing Netflix.
    Speak for yourself.

They can get their grubby hands off my Netflix.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yes they are, an ISP has no obligation over 3rd parties.
    Except for when its directly interfering with a business, in which case there are special clauses stating otherwise. So while they do not have obligations to the company they have obligations to uphold the wording of the law.

Deleted
    You vote a republican into office, you get republican legislation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    I guess it is time to lock and load? What's his name again, Ajit Pai?
    No, it's Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yes they are, an ISP has no obligation over 3rd parties.
    Ok, let's say NN is overthrown. You come to mmo-champs on Saturday and the site loads slow as hell. In fact all your websites do. You get a notice in the mail from your ISP. You now need to buy a "premium package" of some sort to get back to the same service you get from them right now. Not having youtube slowed costs extra, not having netflix slowed costs extra, etc, etc. ISPs can add as many of these racketeering setups as they want. They already were doing that to Netflix in 2015, which is why NN was passed in the first place. Cause the honor system wasn't working and ISPs WERE doing this.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Not directly ... internet -> money -> food/shelter/medical -> life -> heart beats.
    Oh, so it was hyperbole like I thought, then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will this thing affect the EU as well or is it just for US providers?

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Will this thing affect the EU as well or is it just for US providers?
    Only americans obviously. But it has effect for us all simply because Americans sites will be slowed down for everyone if they dont have extra money. Anyway good thing is, bigger stuff like netflix / amazon, etc has world wide servers now, so unless you are an American, this really doesent change anything for you as far as streaming go. We already download territory based from the big streaming sites.

We've always had net neutrality. I dont understand why people wont see that. There is no regulations at the moment so all internet traffic is treated the same.
    Once we start giving it a name "net neutrality" is when regulations come into play which will slowly be tuned for financial gain. That is what the net neutraily regulations from Obama would have resulted in. So I am all for doing away with these regulations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a note to those who aren't aware, Pai's "research" that he touted to push this through doesn't even support his arguments. It's kind of amazing that these few people have the power to screw over the experience of millions of Americans for once again the sake of corporate greed.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Let me guess, this is about money.

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    We've always had net neutrality. I dont understand why people wont see that. There is no regulations at the moment so all internet traffic is treated the same.
    Once we start giving it a name "net neutrality" is when regulations come into play which will slowly be tuned for financial gain. That is what the net neutraily regulations from Obama would have resulted in. So I am all for doing away with these regulations.
    Until very recently, ISPs couldn't, didn't know how or just hadn't thought of giving different speed priorities to different areas of the Internet.

Thinking that, now that they know, they'll behave without this law, is very naïve.

someone will make the internet 2.0 and it will all be moot anyways.

Deleted
    Good. Finally we can get a free Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I could see it pass in UK, in Canada, not even a chance. Just recently Canadian equivalanet of the FCC knocked down the ISPs giving free download to particular apps as an incentive, making it illegal. So in fact Canada made the opposite, going towards even more net neutrality.
    In the uk about to leave the eu, perhaps, but in the others country... Nordic especially (pirate party !) it will never see the light