Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nio-restaurant

I love a story with a happy ending, the state should award them a check for 10% of the cost the state would have incurred paying for this guy to be imprisoned.
    For every one of these stories you have thousands of dead at the feet of mass shooters/cops/kids etc....stop trying offset your shitty gun worship culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    one person died instead of a whole lot of people. Sorry, there is no sympathy to be had for someone pulling a gun on innocent people.
    How about some sympathy for the family and the remaining patrons who witnessed an act of violence. Not saying by any means the father was wrong. I would do the same in that situation but the fall out is NOT limited to just a dead criminal.
    Where did you park the invisible car?

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    In country where guns are prolific, people find excuses to use them.

How completely unexpected.
    Ily mmoc

Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    He was only threatening! Hell he could have shot and robbed them - then at least he had a chance to survive. Is that the behavior you want to favor?
    Would you just watch your family being threatened and gun facing your family? Would you, please dont shoot m-uh family. Would you really just watch? Criminal could just....Shoot them anyway.
    Let this sink in:
    Would you watch your family's life being threatened? Would you? Would you really?

I would do the same thing the father did. I would do anything to protect my family, hell even others from a criminal with a gun. Sure, nobody really deserves to die (except pedophiles who done the act), but the criminal made a choice, and that choice cost him his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
    It is a happy ending, criminal was shot or died. Family Protected, other people protected from the criminal.
    By being a criminal, you have no rights. Especially an Illegal Migrant.
    Happy. Ending.
    Yes, yes, we did not doubted AT ALL why this story was posted.

We totally don't figure out what is ''DUH PLAN'' with the same people praising ''shooting criminals in the head'' while screaming about illegal migrants. Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Talsar View Post
    In country where guns are prolific, people find excuses to use them.

How completely unexpected.
    I think that's a completely justified use of lethal force. In an ideal world, no one would have gotten robbed or shot. The robber brandished a gun at the man's family, he could have easily killed them.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think that's a completely justified use of lethal force. In an ideal world, no one would have gotten robbed or shot. The robber brandished a gun at the man's family, he could have easily killed them.
    Both the robber and the Father who shot them found an excuse to use their gun. My argument is that the father was justified in defending himself (using necessary force given the situation) but that neither of them should have had easy access to guns in the first place.
    Ily mmoc

Both the robber and the Father who shot them found an excuse to use their gun. My argument is that the father was justified in defending himself (using necessary force given the situation) but that neither of them should have had easy access to guns in the first place.
    People don't rob other people without weapons. Are you familiar with the concept of a robbery? Do robberies not happen in Australia? If guns weren't in the picture, don't you think he would have found some other weapon to rob people with?

The robber made the unwise choice to rob a man and threaten lethal force on his family. I fail to see what alternative the man being robbed had. I guess he could have been like, "well shoot, here ya go", left his gun in his side holster, and handed over his wallet. But he risked his family getting shot in either scenario. You don't know that the robber would have walked away without harming the family, either way--there are plenty of stories about people being mugged who get seriously hurt or killed despite handing over their wallet. Especially when someone's not carrying cash, and the robber gets upset about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    because criminals really care about the law.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diabl0 View Post
    It's his own fault he's dead. If he didn't want to die he shouldn't have threatened people at gun point. In Texas.
    Seriously. It's Texas, just assume everyone is armed.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    People don't rob other people without weapons. Are you familiar with the concept of a robbery? Do robberies not happen in Australia? If guns weren't in the picture, don't you think he would have found some other weapon to rob people with?

The robber made the unwise choice to rob a man and threaten lethal force on his family. I fail to see what alternative the man being robbed had. I guess he could have been like, "well shoot, here ya go", left his gun in his side holster, and handed over his wallet. But he risked his family getting shot in either scenario. You don't know that the robber would have walked away without harming the family, either way--there are plenty of stories about people being mugged who get seriously hurt or killed despite handing over their wallet. Especially when someone's not carrying cash, and the robber gets upset about it.
    Did you miss the part where i said given the circumstances the father was right to shoot and kill the person threatening him? Because i feel like you did.

My point is that without firearms in the equation the robber would have in all likeliness faced his day in court and his years in prison and maybe been rehabilitated.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    because criminals really care about the law.
    You'll find that in countries where guns are much harder to obtain, gun crimes are also far less common. Go figure.
    Ily mmoc

Did you miss the part where i said given the circumstances the father was right to shoot and kill the person threatening him? Because i feel like you did.

My point is that without firearms in the equation the robber would have in all likeliness faced his day in court and his years in prison and maybe been rehabilitated.

You'll find that in countries where guns are much harder to obtain, gun crimes are also far less common. Go figure.
    I am a huge proponent of not shooting to kill and you'll see my commentary on that in previous threads. That being said...first of all, we don't know if the man defending his family shot to kill or not. He could have accidentally hit an artery, who the fuck knows. We also don't know how many shots he took. Additionally, if you have a gun pointed at a man who has a gun pointed at your family, and you shoot in the leg, you are giving the robber an opportunity to retaliate, and someone else in that crowded restaurant might have gotten hurt. Trying to grab the gun would have likely been an even worse decision.

Really there are no best-case scenarios here, the robber should not have been a dumbass and tried to rob someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    Happy ending? A person died/was shot.
    That 'person' ceased being a person the instant he decided to pull a gun on innocent people. Take your bleeding heart elsewhere.

OP - I think it's funny that this guy is being lauded as a hero, when I recall a similar incident not too long ago, past month or so maybe? Where a similar situation happened, but the father is being charged with murder. How fucking loopy our legal system is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Good! Now we have 1 argument for guns.. Up against, how many was it that died from gun violence last year.. 300 000?

Here's a local scenario that happened where I live recently, where no guns were involved. A man threatened two Muslim women on a commuter rail car and managed to kill two passengers + seriously injure a third one with a knife. He's in prison now on two counts of murder.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ms_of_sta.html

What's the better outcome between the two scenarios, the guy who killed two people with a knife and got to live, or the guy who killed an armed robber threatening to kill his family with a gun, but no innocent bystanders were hurt?

Why don't you take a step back and think about what you're saying for a second.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Here's a local scenario that happened where I live recently, where no guns were involved. A man threatened two Muslim women on a commuter rail car and managed to kill two passengers + seriously injure a third one with a knife. He's in prison now on two counts of murder.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ms_of_sta.html

What's the better outcome between the two scenarios, the guy who killed two people with a knife and got to live, or the guy who killed an armed robber threatening to kill his family with a gun, but no innocent bystanders were hurt?

Why don't you take a step back and think about what you're saying for a second.
    What's the better outcome between the two scenarios, the guy who killed two people with a knife and got to live, or the Las Vegas mass shooting?
    Ily mmoc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfist View Post
    How about some sympathy for the family and the remaining patrons who witnessed an act of violence. Not saying by any means the father was wrong. I would do the same in that situation but the fall out is NOT limited to just a dead criminal.
    Well Durr, some might get scared at seeing a man get shot, but people are resilient and pull through. You really don't have a foot to stand on here, since the alternative could have been innocent people being killed
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Good! Now we have 1 argument for guns.. Up against, how many was it that died from gun violence last year.. 300 000?
    God I hate these statistics, most of gun deaths are suicide and most gun crime is committed with the use of illegal guns...

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone has a gun in Switzerland yet they don't have a crime problem, second lowest homicide rate in Europe actually, the truth is that people who legally own guns is not the problem, the problem is the people who obtain them illegally, and even if you were to completely halt legal guns, criminals would have no problem obtaining them illegally.

But let's completely ignore this fact, because strict gun control has done wonders in Chicago.

Stop appealing to emotions and actually think about it..

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    While i shed no tears for the robber, i question the father's decision as describe in the article. The situation could have had a much much worse ending. If i read right, the man shot the robber while he was point his gun toward the man's family.

What if the robber fired his weapon upon being shot, what would we said if the man's daughter head exploded as a result of her father's cowboy attitude? Is whatever cash he had really worth the risk, as slim it may be, to get your family shot dead?

If you are going to put yourself in a position of danger, if you are going to escalate the situation to a firefight, don't involve bystanders.

Deleted
    Wealth income disparity is what drives crime, culture, etc among other things drive crime, not guns themselves, especially legally obtained ones. Someone who intends to use the gun illegally isn't going to go through a legal process to obtain it...