(Possible) Overwatch and Diablo titles in 2019-2020

Source.

Activision Blizzard's upcoming franchise title launches will be big blockbuster sellers, according to one top Wall Street firm.

Goldman Sachs raised its rating for Activision Blizzard shares to buy from neutral, predicting the company will report profits above expectations in 2019 and 2020.

"We believe the recent sell-off in Video Game stocks has largely been due to technical factors relating to positioning around tax reform, and does not reflect any change in fundamentals for the group. We therefore see attractive entry points across our coverage, particularly for ATVI," analyst Christopher Merwin wrote in a note to clients Tuesday. "We are raising our 2019 and 2020 estimates on account of a robust multi year pipeline of games - Diablo, Overwatch 2, and a Blizzard mobile title - which we don't think Street estimates are fully taking into account."
    Not that either series/franchise getting another installment is a surprise, but I'm hoping for something Diablo-based first. Then again, OW would be 4-5 years old in that 19-20 timeframe, so it'd be around time for something for it, too.

An Overwatch 2 would make no sense, and Blizzard has already said they decided against Overwatch expansions, that's why we have the loot box system instead.

Also, that isn't even from Blizzard themselves it seems, but someone who works at Goldman Sachs, so it seems more like he's making assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    An Overwatch 2 would make no sense, and Blizzard has already said they decided against Overwatch expansions, that's why we have the loot box system instead.

Also, that isn't even from Blizzard themselves it seems, but someone who works at Goldman Sachs, so it seems more like he's making assumptions.
    I'm thinking there may be some inside info being leaked, but I put the (Possible) in the thread title because I'm not taking this particular article (and Goldman Sachs) as gospel. For them to adjust their forecasts...they've gotta know something. That, or perhaps some manipulation is at hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)

Unless they decide to go super hard on trying to milk that franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should just let the Diablo franchise die unless Blizzard North comes back to work for them.

They may decide to make an xpac for OW, possibly a single player campaign.

I'd play the fuck out of an Overwatch single-player spinoff. An FPS campaign as Genji or Junkrat? Sign me up. I strongly doubt they will make Overwatch 2 anytime soon, the game is still very profitable thanks to loot boxes.

Diablo I'm more iffy about. I had my fun with D3, flaws and all, but I'm not sure how Blizzard can possibly revitalize that franchise now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'd play the fuck out of an Overwatch single-player spinoff. An FPS campaign as Genji or Junkrat? Sign me up. I strongly doubt they will make Overwatch 2 anytime soon, the game is still very profitable thanks to loot boxes.

Diablo I'm more iffy about. I had my fun with D3, flaws and all, but I'm not sure how Blizzard can possibly revitalize that franchise now.
    You see... I was totally skeptical and "whatever" about O2, until you wrote that RIGHT THERE!

THAT would be awesome to me and would make me actually want to pick up the original Overwatch later! :P

I really find it odd that Diablo is in there. And not a D4 or anything specific - just "Diablo".

I dunno... I think whomever wrote that was just some press release monkey intern at this point. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I think they should just let the Diablo franchise die unless Blizzard North comes back to work for them.

What? Why? Diablo 3 is the only one that wasn't a major success and even then it got better since release. There Is a enormous amount of potential they could do with the Diablo universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Scornedfury View Post
    What? Why? Diablo 3 is the only one that wasn't a major success and even then it got better since release. There Is a enormous amount of potential they could do with the Diablo universe.
    It sold stupidly well, it's very much a major success on that front.

The why though, I'd hazard to guess would be a lack of trust in the current development team. D3 base game was a shitshow of incompetence and bad design, most of which they were warned about for a long time by hardcore Diablo/ARPG players but completely ignored because "Fuck that loser" clearly knows best. Expansion addressed a ton of issues and made a lot of improvements, but the post-launch support has been pretty meh, and it's still grappling with a number of longterm issues when it comes to gearing, build diversity, the lack of any kind of robust trading economy, and some other issues.

I know I don't trust the current team to make a "good" Diablo game anymore.

Yea, because activision-blizzard would totally never try to milk more money out of successful IPs right?

Especially with the whole loot box issue up in the air, if that house of cards collapses you bet your ass you're getting bi yearly Overwatch updates at $40+ a pop.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post

D3 sold more units than most games in existence. Diablo is going no where. In fact its likely they are already working on the next project judging by all the job postings for it last year

It's probably Diablo 2 remaster and Overwatch single player game. Overwatch spinoff as single player episodic content and add some exclusive skins, they'll make billions.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

The why though, I'd hazard to guess would be a lack of trust in the current development team. D3 base game was a shitshow of incompetence and bad design, most of which they were warned about for a long time by hardcore Diablo/ARPG players but completely ignored because "Fuck that loser" clearly knows best. Expansion addressed a ton of issues and made a lot of improvements, but the post-launch support has been pretty meh, and it's still grappling with a number of longterm issues when it comes to gearing, build diversity, the lack of any kind of robust trading economy, and some other issues.

So 1 game out of 3 means they should scrap Diablo from any future endeavours? That really makes no sense from any direction, especially how well it sold and how much it has improved since release and the state of direction they started to head in but there's only so much repainting you can do. Besides, it was a pretty obvious mistake that blizzard made wigh D3, I'm certain the issues would be addressed in the new one. The game made a complete 180 from vanilla you ask me in a good direction.

You have the right to have your opinion but man that's a pretty extreme statement when Diablo has done great besides this experience. Honestly, D3 had a lot of great things also, they even took some of the D3 aspects into WoW and it helped, and the ones that people complained about, like in D3, they are (according to what we've heard) getting rid of it.

Also, there's been job postings of positions for the D team so who knows if it will be even 50% of the original D team that released the game. As a matter of fact, I don't know how much of the team is the same since release.
    Last edited by Scornedfury; 2017-12-13 at 11:10 AM.

Deleted

World of Overwatch?

Actually I'm not sure if it would be epic or total failure.

Diablo, sure, it's obvious they've basically stopped working on Diablo 3, so they may as well be making a new one.

Overwatch, either it's a separate singleplayer game, which isn't the Blizzard MO, or they're going to do a "2.0" in which they replace controversial lootboxes with something else, like map/hero packs or expansions. The game itself is doing fine and is updated frequently, I don't think they'll do a sequel in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    World of Overwatch?

Actually I'm not sure if it would be epic or total failure.
    You mean Titan? I'm pretty sure they scrapped that because WoW is still around. So once that dies or settles down, it could make a return.

Overwatch 2? Yeah... not happening in the next ~7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

it sold on the name of diablo 2.

i could of polished a turd and said look diablo 3 by blizzturd. and i would of sold 10m copies.

diablo 4 wouldn't have that success it'll sell well because it's diablo/blizzard but people will be a lot more vary about buying it after the failure of diablo 3.

the game is too fast paced it's too easy to hit max level get 80-90% of your maximum character power from 6 set and if you spend another 500 hours grinding you might get 10% stronger what a snore fest.