Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    The triggering here is insane lol
    Yeah, I tend to get triggered when we lose freedom and people naively act as if it is no big deal. Maybe this should 'trigger' some people, and get some people to actually act on something that should directly matter to them instead of shitposting on forums and pretending nothing will ever affect them.

Deleted
    Is this not going to be incredibly bad for the tech startups in Sillicon Valley? Guess the new hub will move to a EU country, and the US will lose a lot of unicorns and tax revenue..

Seems like a well thought out idea. Let ISPs make a lot more money, and potentially lose way more from the startups leaving. It seems like pissing your pants to stay warm.
    Last edited by mmoce82747fad9; 2017-12-14 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Well, according to Americans in my gym, now you'll have truly free internet. Government shouldn't impede businesses' ability to earn money, it's quite anti-American.

What I personally find interesting is that people are more concerned about internet than healthcare
    This is all when and good, but when it comes to " businesse's ability to earn money ", it's usually the man in the street that gets fucked over.

Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    The vote is delayed anyway, it's not going to happen today.
    That's curious, can you provide a source for this?

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Yeah, I tend to get triggered when we lose freedom and people naively act as if it is no big deal. Maybe this should 'trigger' some people, and get some people to actually act on something that should directly matter to them instead of shitposting on forums and pretending nothing will ever affect them.
    Hell im more liberal than you, i could use some non internet, it mostly is a distraction for me anyway, but alas im in old school lib not the bed wetters now

Deleted
    I´m not an north-american, I´m against Net neutrality being gone if I had to vote, but I think that people don´t actually know the consecuences of this.

People assume that net neutrality is what protects the user against fees to different sites or speed and preferences in your websurfing (Wich is to an extent true) but the real deal here is that people actually think that internet providers are going to aim to increse their benefit on expense of their consumers when in reality, the ones they are more interested in milking is the different internet websites. The way this might actually work more in favor is in the negotation of packages of internet speed to websistes but not to the consumer becouse enteties like Facebook, YouTube, Reddit and other sites are the ones that are actually more interested in reaching the highest amount of users, are also the ones that operate in a larger capital, are more realiable to pay and also seek to stay on the internet. There is also a high probabilty that intermediaries start to appear buying/creating websites that have a guarentee of speed and sell them to smaller companies for a reasonable price (Just like in TV) so it shouldn´t actually even be the deciding blow to those that want to iniciate creating their own websites.

This pretty much reminds me of how the transport sector works, you would think that the indusrty would try to charge a lot of costs to the consumer but in realty what often happens is that it gets cheaper as more the competitiveness and volume of goods rises. If there was an actual monopoly on the market with the internet supply then it would actually be a problem but in reallity, aside of some towns that have very limited options, its not the case in most of the US as many of you want it to be.

I´m againts Net Neutralty becouse I think the abolishment of the law in the US is a drastic way to change a market and I would have approached with a gradual segmentation to actually see how the market developed. But, with personal experience in seeing how many markets developed and as being part of my job, I think most of the concerns with the Net Neutrality are most unlikely. I think that the user is one of the enteties that has to be less worried and the ones that are sweeting are the companies behind websites and this realization is founded after seeing thse past months who has been more interested in making the voters to vote against the abolishment.

I could be entirely wrong, this is just an opinion, maybe tomorrow the US citizens and such have to pay a lot more but, let me tell you this, internet provideers want to make money, squeeze the user to a maximum will limit any income on mid-terms... why would you risk that when there are way better alternatives that can even improve the service you provide to your users when the income comes from other companies that are more reliable on payment, though in a smaller scale, than in consumers.
    Last edited by mmoc6be59f45c9; 2017-12-14 at 01:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Criz View Post
    Net Neutrality June 12 2015.... Thank god for that can anyone remember the internet BEFORE that date ? Men forced into labor camps by the greedy ISP women raped by the evil ISP children... oh god not the children .. dont make me remember what the ISP's did to the children before June 12 2015 when Net Neutrality SAVED US ALL......

Wait you say there was absolutely no difference before net neutrality and after it ?... so confused
    Hey diptard, if you're going to try to be a snarky cunt it does well to know what you're talking about in the first place. NN existed in principle since the dawn of the internet and when it became clear that ISP's wanted to try to subvert that, we signed laws into place to keep it from happening.

I'll literally never understand why stupid people cheer to losing more freedoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    More liberal lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    More liberal lies.
    Hell im the most liberal person on this forum yet i dont care that much, im an old school lib not the pansies now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MardestyGSOG View Post
    Net neutrality became a thing in 2011. Weren't we fine before that? I mean yeah there were a few isolated cases, and maybe ISPs will take advantage after not being able to for 6 years, maybe the effects are minimal and they don't wanna cause an uproar and force people to go with other providers. If someone has Verizon and Verizon wants to charge extra for Netflix and force you to use Hulu or amazon, then people go and get Comcast(which in my experiences has been far better than Verizon

Making people pay double for a streaming service they prefer will piss people off enough to make them switch providers. Companies will lose a lot more money by Lost subscribers than they will gain from small extra costs. If people bury their heads and pay the extra fees then we are fucked, if people don't allow this shit to fly then providers will stay really soft on their throttling.
    See above^

Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Who here did their part in fighting this thing? Who here is guilty of letting there nihilism ruin the internet
    What you, I, or anyone outside of a small circle of influence wants in this case is of no consequence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Does my WoW still work?

Ok then we're fine
    only with 400 ms latency unless you buy the Premium MMO Bandwidth Package, only an additional $9.99 to your current bill!

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Well, according to Americans in my gym, now you'll have truly free internet. Government shouldn't impede businesses' ability to earn money, it's quite anti-American.

What I personally find interesting is that people are more concerned about internet than healthcare
    Oh please. You don't "know" that many "people" to make that sweeping assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    What you, I, or anyone outside of a small circle of influence wants in this case is of no consequence.
    ANNNDDD this right here is why stupid laws get passed.

Ignore this person, contact your congress, write letters, make your voice and opinion heard. What YOU want as a constituent is absolutely of consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    only with 400 ms latency unless you buy the Premium MMO Bandwidth Package, only an additional $9.99 to your current bill!
    Is $9.99 a lot to y'all? If that is all I really don't get the whole net neutrality doomsaying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    More liberal lies.
    So you're fine with paying more for less?

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Is $9.99 a lot to y'all? If that is all I really don't get the whole net neutrality doomsaying.
    They can also throttle sites to the point where they become unwatchable.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    Hell im more liberal than you, i could use some non internet, it mostly is a distraction for me anyway, but alas im in old school lib not the bed wetters now
    I'm not even liberal in political view, or at least I've never seen myself as that way. I act independently. But with how things are going I guess I am turning more liberal over time.

This isn't an issue of internet being shut down or unusable though, it's worse than that. This is an issue of the internet -- as a crucial media outlet, among other things -- being in direct control of powerful corporations that can do whatever they choose to with that power. And you can be certain they will use it.

This is about more than corporations making money or users losing access to the internet. This is a huge step towards corporations having an even bigger hand in controlling the government. Where is it going to stop?
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-12-14 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    $9.99 for MMOs
    $9.99 for YouTube
    $9.99 for Facebook
    $9.99 for Twitter
    $59.99 for Google or just $9.99 for Bing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    That's curious, can you provide a source for this?
    18x AG ask for an immediate withdrawal of the vote until they can conclude an investigation regarding the fraudulent comments.
    40x Senators asked for a postponed vote until the AGs can complete the investigation regarding the fraudulent comments.

The list is potentially bigger later today as some republican and democrat senators still haven't made up their minds.

-

It's very unlikely these requests will not be granted.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    This is what will happen. 1-2 years of slow degeneration of services and quality, and then a new service that graciously and kindly offers everything they had rolled back.
    That would only happen if net neutrality regulations got put back in place.

The most likely scenario is that there will be slow degeneration of various services and quality. The ISPs will claim that they barely make any money (despite massive profits because people are too lazy to actually look up the financials), so they are willing to put in extra effort to make things better, but people need to pay for those services because it's just too goll-darn expensive (when, in reality, they are bottlenecking certain content).

Then the packages will roll out. On top of your already overpriced broadband, you can buy the streaming package for a low, low cost of only $9.99 / mo to make sure that Netflix and Amazon Prime and Hulu stream better (i.e. the same quality you had before they slowed them down)...which will probably cost you another $4 or $5 / mo for them anyways as the ISPs charge them as well to transport their streaming content. Oh, and you want social media content to be more responsive, you can buy that package for another $4.99 / mo.

And, despite the obviousness of what is going on, you will still see about 30% of the people buying into the nonsense...completely ignoring the fact that companies like Verizon keep increasing their dividends per share and multi-billion profits (and that is just what is happening today under those "onerous" net neutrality rules).