Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Disney to acquire majority of Fox assets for $52.4B

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/36...ssets-for-524b

The Walt Disney Co. on Thursday announced plans to acquire most of 21st Century Fox’s assets for $52.4 billion, a deal that does not include Fox News, Fox Business Network, Fox Sports 1 or 2, the Big Ten Network or the Fox broadcasting network and stations.

The buyout will include Fox channels including FX and Nat Geo, among others. Fox's film and entertainment franchises, which includes "The Simpsons," “X-Men,” and "Avatar,” will be owned by Disney.

“The acquisition of this stellar collection of businesses from 21st Century Fox reflects the increasing consumer demand for a rich diversity of entertainment experiences that are more compelling, accessible and convenient than ever before,” said Disney CEO Bob Iger.

"We’re honored and grateful that Rupert Murdoch has entrusted us with the future of businesses he spent a lifetime building, and we’re excited about this extraordinary opportunity to significantly increase our portfolio of well-loved franchises and branded content to greatly enhance our growing direct-to-consumer offerings," he continued.

"The deal will also substantially expand our international reach, allowing us to offer world-class storytelling and innovative distribution platforms to more consumers in key markets around the world.”

Murdoch, executive chairman of 21st Century Fox, also hailed the deal, saying "it will be one of the greatest companies in the world."

“We are extremely proud of all that we have built at 21st Century Fox, and I firmly believe that this combination with Disney will unlock even more value for shareholders as the new Disney continues to set the pace in what is an exciting and dynamic industry,” said Murdoch, 86.

“Furthermore, I’m convinced that this combination, under Bob Iger’s leadership, will be one of the greatest companies in the world. I’m grateful and encouraged that Bob has agreed to stay on, and is committed to succeeding with a combined team that is second to none.”

A “new FOX” company will be spun off including the networks and stations not included in the massive deal.

Disney will also be acquiring Fox's 30 percent stake in Hulu as the company looks to launch its own streaming service in 2019.

Federal regulators still need to approve the deal.

The Disney-Fox announcement comes just weeks after the Trump Justice Department sued AT&T to block its $85 billion merger with Time Warner.

“AT&T/DirecTV would hinder its rivals by forcing them to pay hundreds of millions of dollars more per year for Time Warner’s networks, and it would use its increased power to slow the industry’s transition to new and exciting video distribution models that provide greater choice for consumers,” the Nov. 20 filing read.

AT&T has vowed to fight for the merger in court.

7+ Year Old Account
    The buyout will include Fox channels including FX and Nat Geo, among others. Fox's film and entertainment franchises, which includes "The Simpsons," “X-Men,” and "Avatar,” will be owned by Disney.
    Does this mean X-Men will finally make it into MCU?
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    and the Simpsons

If the deal goes through 100% we will see xmen in the MCU eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    and the Simpsons
    Simpsons world for Kingdom Hearts confirmed.

Oh, God...

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Simpsons world for Kingdom Hearts confirmed.

Oh, God...
    I'm... kind of... not against that? I think it could be cool.

And obviously Avatar world, that one is a given.

Empire of Joy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    At this rate Disney will own all of the USA..

So is this monopoly building ever going to catch up with Disney?

So how much of the US media export won't be Disney at this point?

Absolutely.

And the Fantastic Four can finally be done right instead of horribly.

If the merger gets approved, heck, they're still filming Avengers 4. There could be a surprise credits scene hinting at either group at this point. There's been fan speculation questioning if Stark sold Avengers Tower could become the Baxter building for the Fantastic Four. These deals are in the works well before we know of them and it's possible Marvel Studios could smoothly slide that in now while remaining vague enough in Homecoming for it to simply be anyone who bought it.

And now the leviathan of eternal IP ownership has some of my favorite TV shows.

Guess it's good I've got DVDs, now, before they are only available via subscription streaming. And all the episodes making fun of Disney go down the memory hole.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    And now the leviathan of eternal IP ownership has some of my favorite TV shows.

Guess it's good I've got DVDs, now, before they are only available via subscription streaming. And all the episodes making fun of Disney go down the memory hole.
    You think Disney is going to put them on streaming only when they can double dip on streaming fees AND home media sales? You underestimate their love of money.

Simpsons back in 1998.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So Disney owns 60% of Hulu now? Netflix is about to get some stiff competition.

I bet Walt Disney is hoping they hurry up and thaw his ass out so he can go swimming in all that money.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Simpsons back in 1998.
    Lol! The Simpsons have been good at predicting the future. They predicted Trump's bid for the Presidency.

Deleted
    Amazing how Bob Ider (the CEO) is turning Disney into one of the most powerful companies in the world.

No wonder they pay him $45 million a year, he must be making the shareholders a fortune.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of fear Disney going backwards in regards to R-Rated Hero movies with this merger.

As with shows like It's Always Sunny in Philly. Having that on a "Disney" owned Channel seems odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I kind of fear Disney going backwards in regards to R-Rated Hero movies with this merger.

As with shows like It's Always Sunny in Philly. Having that on a "Disney" owned Channel seems odd.
    'Marvel Television' is owned by Disney, and they released The Punisher. With that in mind, i'm hoping there will be no removal of Rated R movies and such under the Disney flag.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.