Poll: Have you ever known anyone on welfare or been on it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Thanks, doing my best!
    Hoping I can start working at the workplace for like 10 hours a week as a start and see from there.
    Being out of my appartment and socializing does make everything seem less dark than usual :P
    Yeah I often don't even realize how much of a slump i'm in until something pulls me out of it. Giving myself opportunities to be active/social definitely helps.
    Ily mmoc

A friend of mine recently got fired from his job and is now on welfare.

Yesterday he was invited to some recruitment event by a big company, where at the event he networked and socialized, ate free pizza and food the company brought to the event, and then they all went to see the new star wars film.

Felt great to have him text me "LOL I'm eating free pizza and watching the new star wars movie" while I'm at work, coding away, eating yesterday's leftover salad. Felt amazing. To add insult to injury, his welfare pay is nearly as high as my monthly pay.

Never been on welfare. Adamantly against it. Capitalism is survival of the fittest, I shouldn't pay higher taxes to support moochers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talsar View Post
    Sad that you can't see past your own experience to see how others can be laid low by circumstance by no fault of their own. A work ethic isn't the catch all protection you seem to think it is, but i hope you never have to find that out the hard way.

Attitudes like this are born from a lack of education on how these systems work and a lack of life experience in general.
    Wrong! Where there's a will, there's a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post

Yesterday he was invited to some recruitment event by a big company, where at the event he networked and socialized, ate free pizza and food the company brought to the event, and then they all went to see the new star wars film.

Felt great to have him text me "LOL I'm eating free pizza and watching the new star wars movie" while I'm at work, coding away, eating yesterday's leftover salad. Felt amazing.
    To add insult to injury, his welfare pay is nearly as high as my monthly pay.

Never been on welfare. Adamantly against it. Capitalism is survival of the fittest, I shouldn't pay higher taxes to support moochers.
    How does any of the bolded relate to welfare though? That is just capitalism. A company paid for an event in the hopes of attracting a certain type of person and your friend got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    How does any of the bolded relate to welfare though? That is just capitalism. A company paid for an event in the hopes of attracting a certain type of person and your friend got to go.
    It's related because the reason he was unemployed and eligible to go was welfare. If welfare wasn't a thing, he would have never asked to be fired.

10+ Year Old Account
    To add insult to injury, his welfare pay is nearly as high as my monthly pay.
    Either you are misrepresenting the facts, or you're doing a really bad job negotiating for pay.

I've been on food stamps a few times. It's nice to have the extra money. However I do know some people who outright abuse it. They get away with it. It's my friend's sisters family. none of them are trying to find work and they goto the ER at least once a month. They've constantly been evicted from apartments due to non payment of bills and have constantly had the electricity and water shut of on them at a couple of their apartments/houses. Not sure how they still are able to get housing. Not sure where all the money is going. I do know they have one or two animals living with them.

It makes me sick.
    Last edited by the game; 2017-12-14 at 01:48 PM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

My parents were on food stamps when I was born, so technically I've been on an assistance program. Not sure how long, I know they were off before I turned 3 because we moved then and I remember them saying they were off before we lived at the next place.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Why do people support welfare? It just enables moochers.
    How many moochers does it take for you to want to shut down a system that helps thousands?

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Either you are misrepresenting the facts, or you're doing a really bad job negotiating for pay.
    In Israel you get a month of welfare pay for each year you worked, and the amount you get paid is identical to your salary. His welfare payment is quite high.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Israel you get a month of welfare pay for each year you worked, and the amount you get paid is identical to your salary. His welfare payment is quite high.
    I see, we call that unemployment here; it's generally not considered welfare.

Yes, my brother was a welfare recipient before he joined the army. I'll also be getting some student welfare for my masters next year.

10+ Year Old Account

Felt great to have him text me "LOL I'm eating free pizza and watching the new star wars movie" while I'm at work, coding away, eating yesterday's leftover salad. Felt amazing. To add insult to injury, his welfare pay is nearly as high as my monthly pay.

Yeah, it sucks when people get stuff for free without earning it. Additionally he shouldn't get a nickel of welfare if he got fired for something he did wrong. If we are going to offer welfare, it should ONLY be given to those who are disabled to the point that they cant do any jobs at all (even quadriplegics can be a movie critic, new food product taste tester, or sommelier), were working somewhere that went out of business, or people who were laid off because the company downsized, or are unemployed due to no fault of their own

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I know a lot of people that are on WIC. That counts, right? It’s a pretty popular thing here on military bases.
    WIC is a good program as its designed to help kids and cant really be abused because of the way it works. If we are going to have to give handouts, they should all be done like the WIC program.

Instead of giving people $500 in food stamps (that many sell for half the value to get cash), they should give a big book of coupons for specific free items like WIC does. This also would insure that the nutrition part of SNAP (Supplemental NUTRITION assistance program) is followed. No more soda, cookies, chips, junk processed frozen pizzas, and energy drinks. Instead they get coupons for a free rump roast, 10 pounds of ground beef, 10 pounds of chicken breasts, 5 LB bag of carrots, 10 LB bag of potatoes, 3 boxes of cereal (healthy kinds only, like Grape Nuts or Kashi), 2 gallons of milk, 2 dozen eggs, Apples, etc...
    Last edited by Orlong; 2017-12-14 at 03:28 PM.

Where is the "Yes/yes and I'm against it" option?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    It's also depending on differences in jobs. A lot of unemployment insurance pays out at 60% of the workers previous wages. Someone losing a six figure job would still be bringing home $60,000/year or better. So a person sitting on their ass making more than the person working is possible and it also has the tendency to make some people think that the system is against the working individual. But to be fair if you couldn't find a job that paid at least more than your unemployment (welfare?) was paying and it is something you had earned by previously working...would you want to work?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    No, being required to drain an oh shit fund, sounds logical of course but in reality teaches bad spending. What good did it do me to save, skip out on items and trips i wanted when i had to use the money before i could get any help from a system i was paying into, while another person bought those same things, went on those trips and got help right away. I would have been better off buying things, and taking trips and getting the help faster. Its not like they come into your house and force you to sale the things you have. Hell i maintain a much smaller oh shit fund now because of that, I'd rather get what i want an have it knowing some of it i can flip for profit if needed, or get help from the gov't right away since I wont have money to live off of.

And being a single male.. I got very little, like 200 USD a week and 50.00 a month in food stamps.
    This is why I would remove welfare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    I would starve before lowering myself to welfare. I'm no moocher. Luckily that will never happen because I have such a strong work ethic.
    You're just BEGGING Karma to lay you off with an injury or illness that makes it impossible to work. Or have it target someone you care about.

Sounds like you're butt-hurt that your friend had the time to go to an event and get a bunch of free things, paid for by the company as a recruitment expense. Guess what cupcake, that's exactly what capitalism is. The company that hosted the event felt it was in their economic interest to provide those things in order to attract top talent.

I'm guessing your friend also wasn't "fired" for anything that was his fault. Most likely his "welfare" is an unemployment check, which requires him to have been laid off - most likely due to his company downsizing, being bought out, etc - which definitely isn't his fault, and his old company made sure their people would be taken care of after they left. Unemployment is a program that he paid into with his taxes while he was working, so he's not mooching shit. Unemployment is also based on a % of what he was making at the job he was let go from, which means he was probably making so much more money than you that his % is as much as you make in a month. Ouch.

Even if he was on "welfare", he still paid taxes into the program, so he has a right to it. Hooray for paid-in social safety nets doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing.

The fact that, within a very short time after he lost his job, he was invited to a recruiting event where they were offered food and got to see the new Star Wars movie for free means that he's probably got some pretty in-demand skills. Are you sure you're not just super jealous of your friend for working the capitalist system way better than you are?
    Last edited by Krigaren; 2017-12-14 at 03:59 PM.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Yeah, it sucks when people get stuff for free without earning it. If we are going to offer welfare, it should ONLY be given to those who are disabled to the point that they cant do any jobs at all (even quadriplegics can be a movie critic, new food product taste tester, or sommelier)
    You do realize that for Social Security benefits (SSI/SSD) that is essentially already in place? Step 4 and 5 of the sequential evaluation process address this.
    You still have to consider that even if a quadriplegic is capable of working the aforementioned jobs (if only on a day-to-day basis), that there are a significant amount of those jobs in the national economy to make it reasonable for a person to get - and hold - those types of employment.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2017-12-14 at 07:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    It's also depending on differences in jobs. A lot of unemployment insurance pays out at 60% of the workers previous wages. Someone losing a six figure job would still be bringing home $60,000/year or better. So a person sitting on their ass making more than the person working is possible and it also has the tendency to make some people think that the system is against the working individual. But to be fair if you couldn't find a job that paid at least more than your unemployment (welfare?) was paying and it is something you had earned by previously working...would you want to work?
    Unemployment isn't welfare. It's insurance, and No I wouldn't take a job paying less than what unemployment paid when I was in that position.