Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can Blizzard afford to lose the hype?

So ive been thinking the last few days can they just stay silent like they do withmost of their projects. Ive seen more and more people saying they are now checking out private servers. Yes some claim moral high ground to never do that or like me dont want to invest time into something that could shutdown like Nost. Should they engage the community more to keep the hype going and focused on them vs just playing vanilla again?

Deleted
    They should redouble the efforts by their legal deam to slam any and all pirate servers with cease and desist orders, that's for sure. I mean, it's reasonable for business, they should cut the "competition".

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    They should redouble the efforts by their legal deam to slam any and all pirate servers with cease and desist orders, that's for sure. I mean, it's reasonable for business, they should cut the "competition".
    I totally agree. Why are they still up after the announcement is unusual to me. They are to me pushing people onto these servers with the lack of engagement since blizzcon. People may get to invested time wise if they dont do something to keep them focused on their project vs players just being able to play vanilla.

Why should they hype it up more? They hyped classic servers as much as they would any addition to any of their games. If anything they should hype up BfA more since that is a MUCH larger source of income for them.

They will hype it up when close to release.

They're obviously not going to hype it up now, competing with their own product seems like a dumb thing to do, seeing as BfA has been announced.

You can expect Classic to come out in between expansions. During the lull of content between BfA and the expansion after that.
    That would probably be more than 2 years away. You can't keep hype for 2 years.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    And ppl like you are the reason why private servers have a bad reputation.. Get your facts right instead of trash talking while your IQ is <10.

You know that Vanilla PServers are gone once Blizzard launches their servers? You really think without pservers, we would have official vanilla servers? Pservers are the reason why WoW isnt dying at all, cuz you can play another expansion when you dont like retail.

Honestly i see them waiting to see how many resubs they get with BfA, if its weak pushing quickly to release it in the same earnings call so resubs seem normal or waiting for the first quarter of drop offs in BfA to release it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    So ive been thinking the last few days can they just stay silent like they do withmost of their projects. Ive seen more and more people saying they are now checking out private servers. Yes some claim moral high ground to never do that or like me dont want to invest time into something that could shutdown like Nost. Should they engage the community more to keep the hype going and focused on them vs just playing vanilla again?
    To be honest, the classic community hyped it all on their own, even before it was announced. I would more see them put work into making the game ready and chasing down loose ends, than seeing them work on creating PR hype.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Ive seen more and more people saying they are now checking out private servers.
    Blizzard have always been with us in Nostalrius from Day #1.

I repeat that in Nostalrius there was one guild called "Employed By Blizzard".

Blizzard have already done their checking and data gathering and furthermore they now have the Nostalrius staff on hand.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly i see them waiting to see how many resubs they get with BfA, if its weak pushing quickly to release it in the same earnings call so resubs seem normal or waiting for the first quarter of drop offs in BfA to release it.
    Doubtful. I see them forced to wait till after BFA anyways. Doesn't matter with sub numbers as the Classic (in my theory) will share subscription with the actual game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post

I have my doubts if so, it would be bad on their contract. And anyone could literally make said guild.

Blizzard have already done their checking and data gathering and furthermore they now have the Nostalrius staff on hand.
    Which ones from Nostalrius? Last we heard, one fucked over a server, three others quit and some just tries to cling on.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Well it's still currently the best and most populated Vanilla server. Soooo, point?

I totally agree. Why are they still up after the announcement is unusual to me. They are to me pushing people onto these servers with the lack of engagement since blizzcon. People may get to invested time wise if they dont do something to keep them focused on their project vs players just being able to play vanilla.
    They are up because Blizzard's Classic servers are not, simple.

They also keep the hype going since not a day goes by without someone discussing the upcoming Classic. They provide a haven for your biggest Vanilla fans, not Legion.

It will be a long wait but once Classic is up, most of these servers will either shut down or become deserted. The few who will remain aren't even worth discussing.

It is a self propelled hype machine. Look at this forum, there are a bunch of Vanilla starved herpdurps that eat up any and every thread as if they are info. They will hype BFA first as it is likely further along in the Dev Cycle. Remember that this is not a redistro of original Vanilla(the buggy, exploited mess that it was) or slap Nost onto real hardware and let people play half baked content.....No this will be a new game with a Vanilla like experience. It is going to be cleaned up functionally and design to take advantage of all then new hardware and bandwidth on both sides of the equation(client and server side).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    They are up because Blizzard's Classic servers are not, simple.

They also keep the hype going since not a day goes by without someone discussing the upcoming Classic. They provide a haven for your biggest Vanilla fans, not Legion.

It will be a long wait but once Classic is up, most of these servers will either shut down or become deserted. The few who will remain aren't even worth discussing.
    There will be some up because many people either can not afford the sub cost or are not willing to pay for it. But I see blizzard going after them with lawsuits.

Blizzard doesn't need to create hype for classic.

Deleted
    Blizzard have always been with us in Nostalrius from Day #1. I repeat that in Nostalrius there was one guild called "Employed By Blizzard".
    MUAHAHA I found the joke of the DAY! good one.

What exactly would they use to build the hype with? Dungeon previews? Features? The only real unknown is what state of vanilla they're shooting for, and they probably don't have a good answer to that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    I think people still underestimate how many people play on those servers because it is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Many of the private servers are getting people prepared for Classic. If Blizz was smart, they wouldn't do a thing to the private servers.
    With how copyright and trademark laws are written, if they were smart they would either be more aggressive with C&D orders or silently collecting information to mass C&D the private servers once they announce the beta for Classic.

They probably will as soon as they have a playable version of their own available or announce release date. No reason to do it now, they aren't competing yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    I don't mind them shutting down so I can finally play on a blizzard server.
    I don't care losing hunderds of hours, the only reason me and a shitload of others play private is because we have no other option. They should hurry the fuck up.

- - - Updated - - -

Many of the private servers are getting people prepared for Classic. If Blizz was smart, they wouldn't do a thing to the private servers.
    Exactly! And They can check what players actually want instead of all this bullshit suggestions on the forum.

This is what makes the community look dumber and dumber.

- - - Updated - - -

The internet has provided that a long time ago.