Poll: Do you keep up to date with modern mainstream music?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you keep up to date with mainstream music?

Do you keep up to date with modern mainstream music?

As a child I never really had any interest in music much and definitely wouldn't know song titles or performers, I was one of the very few kids in Britain who didn't have a clue who the Spice Girls were in early 97 It wasn't until I was 12 that I really began to take interest in music but funnily enough by 22 my interest disappeared again. Now there's the occasional new song I like but ultimately my music album is usually all pre 2010 music.

Option 3 is for those that don't listen to mainstream but do follow niche genres that don't get wide publicity
    Last edited by mmoc1f234b9ee4; 2017-12-14 at 05:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda, I guess? I pop pandora on occasionally.

All the music i listen to is NOT on the radio, the way I keep up with new cd's by my favorite bands is there band page is on my facebook and pandora.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not since 2000, these days mainstream is shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course I don't, I am the person who realizes he likes something by hearing it on the radio/some stream etc.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Pop is cancer with 85% being PR ant 15% talent. You know it's shit when EDM has better vocals than pop...

I see music as a hobby and listen to a ton of current-year music but almost none of it would be considered mainstream releases.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

I used to put on MTV in the morning (only time they'll actually broadcast music I think), mostly just for background noise while eating, browsing phone and getting ready for work. For some reason they play a lot of rap/hiphop music. Most of it is garbage. Some of it is Dutch rap/hiphop. That stuff is a tier below garbage. Supposedly it's Dutch, but I've got a hard time understanding any of it.

Other than MTV I mostly learn about new music from whatever is playing at the gym. Rarely do I find out about a song through other means like radio, Youtube and sometimes even from commercials. I download a song if I really like it. Don't think I even get to one song per month on average. Music just isn't really important to me.

Deleted
    I don't really even listen to music. So no i do not keep up with it

Deleted
    Nope, current mainstream music sucks. I have liked heavy metal/metal/rock since I was 10 (in 2000). Thought I would have grown out of it by now, but other than some bands (e.g. Bullet for my Valentine, Funeral For a Friend, Atreyu, etc... (emoish stuff) which I grew out of) I still listen to heavy metal, metal and rock, because the music is just better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say about 90% of the mainstream music these days sucks ass. They all sound the same, all have the same sounding beats and sounds, all the men sound feminine as fuck singing like little wimpy boys, and there's just no creativity or originality. They're like all the same song but rearranged to sound a bit differently. The lyrics are so lackluster too it'll be like a few lines and then the rest of the song is just repeating those few lines over and over.

Not to sound like an edgy hipster but a lot of the music I like to listen to, not many people have heard of. Metal and rock, which is what I listen to the most have become underground genres now (and when I say rock I mean REAL rock music with actual instruments like Foo Fighters, ACDC, or Queen and not pop music labeled as rock). Another obscure genre I like to listen to is called synthwave which is like that 80s synthesizer music you'd hear in those 80s sci-fi movies like Bladerunner. Gunship is the group I listen to for that genre, really awesome stuff they make. I listen to a lot of different genres and artists but hardly any of them are mainstream.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-12-14 at 07:07 PM.

When I was a kid yes, now no. I've literally been shown songs on youtube with over a billion views and I'd never heard the song nor heard of the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    I'd say about 90% of the mainstream music these days sucks ass. They all sound the same, all have the same sounding beats and sounds, all the men sound feminine as fuck singing like little wimpy boys, and there's just no creativity or originality. They're like all the same song but rearranged to sound a bit differently. The lyrics are so lackluster too it'll be like a few lines and then the rest of the song is just repeating those few lines over and over.

Not to sound like an edgy hipster but a lot of the music I like to listen to, not many people have heard of. Metal and rock, which is what I listen to the most have become underground genres now (and when I say rock I mean REAL rock music with actual instruments like Foo Fighters, ACDC, or Queen and not pop music labeled as rock). Another obscure genre I like to listen to is called synthwave which is like that 80s synthesizer music you'd hear in those 80s sci-fi movies like Bladerunner. Gunship is the group I listen to for that genre, really awesome stuff they make. I listen to many others but most of them if not all of them are more the underground type. You'll never hear the music I listen to on the radio.
    I've listened to a bit of synthwave, subscribed to that NewRetroWave channel on youtube that has some good stuff. Though a lot of it is really amateurishly done and generic "retrowave by numbers" and I struggle to enjoy it.

This band does it at a really high quality, though it's more 80s themed in general rather than just synthwave.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-12-14 at 06:59 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. If i listen to a mainstream song today, and the same song tomorrow i wouldn't even recognize they are the same.

I don't pay attention to them and they all sound the same shit to me.

Not especially. I make no effort out of my way to keep up with anything musical. If I randomly encounter something I like, so be it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I've listened to a bit of synthwave, subscribed to that NewRetroWave channel on youtube that has some good stuff. Though a lot of it is really amateurishly done and generic "retrowave by numbers" and I struggle to enjoy it.

This band does it at a really high quality, though it's more 80s themed in general rather than just synthwave.
    Yeah there's a lot that doesn't really even sound like an 80s themed song but rather just a generic techno song. I'll listen to this one later though as the computer I'm using now doesn't have sound. Gunship is the only group I found so far that really sound like they're from the 80s. If you haven't heard them I definitely recommend giving them a listen if you enjoy synthwave.

Here's one of my favorites from them:

Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-12-14 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep up with mainstream music? Nope, I can't even keep up with what's new in techno.

15+ Year Old Account
    Listen to normie music actually makes me uncomfortable

Nope. The most recent mainstream song I did hear though was Gucci Gang, and good god I wish I hadn't.

I mean, what the fuck is that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Do you keep up to date with modern mainstream music?
    I do not keep up with mainstream music. But I do keep my finger on the pulse of 'underground' music.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I don't hardly even listen to music any more, when I hear something new that I like and do a search on it, it's already been out like 10 years... sad I know.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.