Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's like we're actually going back in time sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Make sure you pin the blame on every right-winger you know.

Make no mistake: they did this.
    No matter what political side you are from, nearly everyone voted to keep NN. It has nothing to do if you are right of left, please get of your high horse.
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-12-14 at 07:04 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    You should all recognize a few really big things.

1. Net Neutrality wasn't something we ever had until just a few years ago. Everythine was, more or less, the same as it was before.

2. The absense of Net Neutrality doesn't inherently mean things cost more money. It means the ISPs, for example, actually have control over their own company. This may or may not be an actual good thing. They could abuse it and we're screwed. Or they could give us more for less (far less likely, but still possible). However, this creates my third point.

3. Get the hell of Comcast. They're going to jack up prices and slow speeds. Guess what? Go to another company that isn't. Other company has the ability to be competetive now. With Net Neutrality, ISPs are almost all the exact same company because the government is making them be. Now they can try and be their own company and flourish.

People try to compare us to India's situation. We, as a country, are not like that at all. Nothing the FCC says or does will let us get to that point because we would literally have a civil war over it first. We are also more advanced as a country. People have more of an opinion; people come up with better ideas; people work harder to make a name for themselves.. you get it.

TL;DR: We don't know where the absense of Net Neutrality is going to lead. However, you are being incredibly oblivious if you don't understand that it could theoretically be a good thing to have it gone. It most likely won't because we live in a monopolized (even though our country tries to deny it), greedy country, but it could be a good thing.

Oh, and FFS, people who are calling out specific political parties, you need to stop being ignorant. People who are for/against this movement are in every single party. Someone who voted for Trump didn't vote for this. Someone who is against him didn't vote for this. This is an incredibly mixed view/argument. Get off whatever party you follow's bandwagon Facebook page propaganda and learn about what your party actually stands for. None of them default your beliefs in line with or against Net Neutraility. #BasicHighschoolEducation #MaybeImJustSensible

And let's not forget the most important side of all of this... WoW will probably stay $15/mo. If it increases, it will simply be due to the fact that with inflation over the years, WoW has maintained a price that techincally becomes less and less each year. I'd pay up to $25/mo simply because how easy it was to get $15 when the game first came out, it's more or less just as easy to do the same thing and now get $25 instead of $15. Just as I wouldn't object to games going up to about $100 if they cut out their stupid micro transactions.
    Did you even read ANY of the posts where people clearly have stated that they only have one (1 if you can´t read) fucking cable company in their region so they are fucked?

Did something like that ever crossed your mind or are you just repeating what those nice ISPs are saying like the good little parrot you are?

1. Net Neutrality wasn't something we ever had until just a few years ago. Everythine was, more or less, the same as it was before.

2. The absense of Net Neutrality doesn't inherently mean things cost more money. It means the ISPs, for example, actually have control over their own company. This may or may not be an actual good thing. They could abuse it and we're screwed. Or they could give us more for less (far less likely, but still possible). However, this creates my third point.

3. Get the hell of Comcast. They're going to jack up prices and slow speeds. Guess what? Go to another company that isn't. Other company has the ability to be competetive now. With Net Neutrality, ISPs are almost all the exact same company because the government is making them be. Now they can try and be their own company and flourish.
    1. Net neutrality was implemented because companies started bad practices creating slow and fast lanes to make up for cord cutters. Comcast has several lawsuits which openly outline their plans to screw customers verizon as well.

2. see #1 they have already said they intend to charge more.

3. There is no competition coming telecom companies are pretty much monopolies protected by regulations which are still in place net neutrality removal does nothing for competition stop repeating corporate shill lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    No matter what political side you are from, nearly everyone voted against this. It has nothing to do if you are right of left, please get of your high horse.
    But the vote was 3-R 2-D. Do explain how this wasn't a partisan issue? Last time when it was voted on, the vote was 3-D 2-R as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter what political side you are from, nearly everyone voted to keep NN. It has nothing to do if you are right of left, please get of your high horse.
    Were it not for Trump, Pai would never have been named chairman and instigated this episode.

So...no, it is entirely the fault of the right wing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Extremely dishonest. The rules by the FCC that made neutrality possible existed pre-2015. Verizon sued the FCC in 2014 claiming those rules were illegal under a Title I regulation and won. The FCC switching to Title II in 2015 for ISPs simply allowed them to put net neutrality rules back in place.

Zentail is shilling super hard for private corporations.

Also, can someone who knows more about this please enligthen me as to if this will have any impact and what impact it will have on people living in the EU?

No matter what political side you are from, nearly everyone voted against this. It has nothing to do if you are right of left, please get of your high horse.
    Except for, you know, when Trump made Ajit Pai the chairman of the FCC. This is pretty much a direct consequence of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    This is when people need to take to the streets and protest. I can’t believe this happened.
    I can, it wasn't that surprising given republicans had control of the vote. When it was first voted on the two Rs voted against it, just as the 3 Rs just voted to repeal it. It was easy to see this coming tbqh.

This is when people need to take to the streets and protest. I can’t believe this happened.
    When the government goes firmly and so blatantly against what the people want, isn't that why Americans have guns?

You are dishonest as fuck. Had net neutrality protected under a Democratic administration, all democratic members of the FCC voted to retain Title II, and only two Republican Congress members yet nearly all Democrats wanted to retain net neutrality rules, yet you have the gall to lie and say both parties are the same? You should be ashamed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    Congratulations to the republicans. I hope you are "proud". Net Neutrality is dead now.
    You might want to go buy some vaseline or other kinds of lube as you bend over for Verizon and other internet providers to fuck you hard.
    most of them are too ignorant to care.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Did they repeal it already or are you just being negative?
    Yup, FCC voted 3-2 in favor of ending it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Were it not for Trump, Pai would never have been named chairman and instigated this episode.

So...no, it is entirely the fault of the right wing.
    No its not, especially when the democratic voter most voted to keep Net Neutrality too.

https://sdtimes.com/poll-political-p...et-neutrality/

If anything they are guilty of electing an idiot like Trump, but they never asked for this, and the vote above shows.

What this means if anything that America is now a Plutocracy, a nation run by wealthy business over actual potitions of power.
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-12-14 at 07:10 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by CalasEU View Post
    Also, can someone who knows more about this please enligthen me as to if this will have any impact and what impact it will have on people living in the EU?
    So far, none. Kinda. In terms of servers, we'll be ok.

As someone else pointed out, Blizzard (and other game companies) will probably up the prices for subscriptions and in-game purchases, e.g. character services, to cover for the additional costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    the government doesn't care. they are owned by the corporations.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    If they break net neutrality I will fully support the breaking and torching of American ISP offices after office hours of course as well the Reps that supported the removal of NN

Come on America fight for something you all for once agree on or atleast most with a brain agree on.

For those fools who don't believe this is a big issue check out all of these instances of NN violations prior to 2015 -

MADISON RIVER: In 2005, North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked the voice-over-internet protocol (VOIP) service Vonage. Vonage filed a complaint with the FCC after receiving a slew of customer complaints. The FCC stepped in to sanction Madison River and prevent further blocking, but it lacks the authority to stop this kind of abuse today.

COMCAST: In 2005, the nation’s largest ISP, Comcast, began secretly blocking peer-to-peer technologies that its customers were using over its network. Users of services like BitTorrent and Gnutella were unable to connect to these services. 2007 investigations from the Associated Press, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others confirmed that Comcast was indeed blocking or slowing file-sharing applications without disclosing this fact to its customers.

TELUS: In 2005, Canada’s second-largest telecommunications company, Telus, began blocking access to a server that hosted a website supporting a labor strike against the company. Researchers at Harvard and the University of Toronto found that this action resulted in Telus blocking an additional 766 unrelated sites.

AT&T: From 2007–2009, AT&T forced Apple to block Skype and other competing VOIP phone services on the iPhone. The wireless provider wanted to prevent iPhone users from using any application that would allow them to make calls on such “over-the-top” voice services. The Google Voice app received similar treatment from carriers like AT&T when it came on the scene in 2009.

WINDSTREAM: In 2010, Windstream Communications, a DSL provider with more than 1 million customers at the time, copped to hijacking user-search queries made using the Google toolbar within Firefox. Users who believed they had set the browser to the search engine of their choice were redirected to Windstream’s own search portal and results.
    MetroPCS: In 2011, MetroPCS, at the time one of the top-five U.S. wireless carriers, announced plans to block streaming video over its 4G network from all sources except YouTube. MetroPCS then threw its weight behind Verizon’s court challenge against the FCC’s 2010 open internet ruling, hoping that rejection of the agency’s authority would allow the company to continue its anti-consumer practices.

PAXFIRE: In 2011, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that several small ISPs were redirecting search queries via the vendor Paxfire. The ISPs identified in the initial Electronic Frontier Foundation report included Cavalier, Cogent, Frontier, Fuse, DirecPC, RCN and Wide Open West. Paxfire would intercept a person’s search request at Bing and Yahoo and redirect it to another page. By skipping over the search service’s results, the participating ISPs would collect referral fees for delivering users to select websites.

AT&T, SPRINT and VERIZON: From 2011–2013, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon blocked Google Wallet, a mobile-payment system that competed with a similar service called Isis, which all three companies had a stake in developing.

EUROPE: A 2012 report from the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications found that violations of Net Neutrality affected at least one in five users in Europe. The report found that blocked or slowed connections to services like VOIP, peer-to-peer technologies, gaming applications and email were commonplace.

VERIZON: In 2012, the FCC caught Verizon Wireless blocking people from using tethering applications on their phones. Verizon had asked Google to remove 11 free tethering applications from the Android marketplace. These applications allowed users to circumvent Verizon’s $20 tethering fee and turn their smartphones into Wi-Fi hot spots. By blocking those applications, Verizon violated a Net Neutrality pledge it made to the FCC as a condition of the 2008 airwaves auction.

AT&T: In 2012, AT&T announced that it would disable the FaceTime video-calling app on its customers’ iPhones unless they subscribed to a more expensive text-and-voice plan. AT&T had one goal in mind: separating customers from more of their money by blocking alternatives to AT&T’s own products.

VERIZON: During oral arguments in Verizon v. FCC in 2013, judges asked whether the phone giant would favor some preferred services, content or sites over others if the court overruled the agency’s existing open internet rules. Verizon counsel Helgi Walker had this to say: “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.” Walker’s admission might have gone unnoticed had she not repeated it on at least five separate occasions during

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Didn't Dem vote entirely for it, whilst Rep voted entirely against it?
    Yes, which is what happened in 2015 as well. 3 Democrat FCC members for, 2 Republican members against. Tired of consetvatives lying that they’re not at fault when they 100% are.