Page 34 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    IDK if I would call everyone who voted for him retarded, most of us had no other choice because a Vote for anyone other than Trump was basically a vote for Hillary, and no matter what he is better than she ever could be.
    no you had a choice you just choose not to. this mentality is exactly why the u.s. can never have serious third party candidates.
    well machismo is here with his usually libertarian/anarchist capitalistic bullshit. i'm done.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    If consumers are denied sufficient access at a competative price, they will demand market change, and a provider will come that gives it. That is unless, government intervention prevents it from happening by using regulatory regimes to prevent access to the market by competitors.
    MADISON RIVER: In 2005, North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked the voice-over-internet protocol (VOIP) service Vonage. Vonage filed a complaint with the FCC after receiving a slew of customer complaints. The FCC stepped in to sanction Madison River and prevent further blocking, but it lacks the authority to stop this kind of abuse today.

COMCAST: In 2005, the nation’s largest ISP, Comcast, began secretly blocking peer-to-peer technologies that its customers were using over its network. Users of services like BitTorrent and Gnutella were unable to connect to these services. 2007 investigations from the Associated Press, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others confirmed that Comcast was indeed blocking or slowing file-sharing applications without disclosing this fact to its customers.

TELUS: In 2005, Canada’s second-largest telecommunications company, Telus, began blocking access to a server that hosted a website supporting a labor strike against the company. Researchers at Harvard and the University of Toronto found that this action resulted in Telus blocking an additional 766 unrelated sites.

AT&T: From 2007–2009, AT&T forced Apple to block Skype and other competing VOIP phone services on the iPhone. The wireless provider wanted to prevent iPhone users from using any application that would allow them to make calls on such “over-the-top” voice services. The Google Voice app received similar treatment from carriers like AT&T when it came on the scene in 2009.

WINDSTREAM: In 2010, Windstream Communications, a DSL provider with more than 1 million customers at the time, copped to hijacking user-search queries made using the Google toolbar within Firefox. Users who believed they had set the browser to the search engine of their choice were redirected to Windstream’s own search portal and results.
    MetroPCS: In 2011, MetroPCS, at the time one of the top-five U.S. wireless carriers, announced plans to block streaming video over its 4G network from all sources except YouTube. MetroPCS then threw its weight behind Verizon’s court challenge against the FCC’s 2010 open internet ruling, hoping that rejection of the agency’s authority would allow the company to continue its anti-consumer practices.

PAXFIRE: In 2011, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that several small ISPs were redirecting search queries via the vendor Paxfire. The ISPs identified in the initial Electronic Frontier Foundation report included Cavalier, Cogent, Frontier, Fuse, DirecPC, RCN and Wide Open West. Paxfire would intercept a person’s search request at Bing and Yahoo and redirect it to another page. By skipping over the search service’s results, the participating ISPs would collect referral fees for delivering users to select websites.

AT&T, SPRINT and VERIZON: From 2011–2013, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon blocked Google Wallet, a mobile-payment system that competed with a similar service called Isis, which all three companies had a stake in developing.

EUROPE: A 2012 report from the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications found that violations of Net Neutrality affected at least one in five users in Europe. The report found that blocked or slowed connections to services like VOIP, peer-to-peer technologies, gaming applications and email were commonplace.

VERIZON: In 2012, the FCC caught Verizon Wireless blocking people from using tethering applications on their phones. Verizon had asked Google to remove 11 free tethering applications from the Android marketplace. These applications allowed users to circumvent Verizon’s $20 tethering fee and turn their smartphones into Wi-Fi hot spots. By blocking those applications, Verizon violated a Net Neutrality pledge it made to the FCC as a condition of the 2008 airwaves auction.

AT&T: In 2012, AT&T announced that it would disable the FaceTime video-calling app on its customers’ iPhones unless they subscribed to a more expensive text-and-voice plan. AT&T had one goal in mind: separating customers from more of their money by blocking alternatives to AT&T’s own products.

VERIZON: During oral arguments in Verizon v. FCC in 2013, judges asked whether the phone giant would favor some preferred services, content or sites over others if the court overruled the agency’s existing open internet rules. Verizon counsel Helgi Walker had this to say: “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.” Walker’s admission might have gone unnoticed had she not repeated it on at least five separate occasions during

Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    I suppose the good things we can take away from this is that both sides in congress more or less support net neutrality and those on the fence or dont soon will when they receive a shit storm from angry voters in 2018 midterms.

There is a good chance if we scream load enough that net neutrality could be protected by a law from congress thus rendering this decision by the FCC null and void.

Yes Democrats shouldve done this years ago but foresight is 20/20 especially when they had more pressing issues to deal with which take up valuable time.

This isnt the end this is just the end of the beginning the real fight starts now!
    You sure about that? I don't have much hope considering the leadership is against NN, and dissenting opinions within a party gets millions of dollars sent to remove you from office.

IDK if I would call everyone who voted for him retarded, most of us had no other choice because a Vote for anyone other than Trump was basically a vote for Hillary, and no matter what he is better than she ever could be.
    The start of that sentence and the end of that sentence contradict one another...

Just remember when you vote in 2018 and 2020 which party leadership fucked over NN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    https://twitter.com/TheAnonJournal/s...91171649265664

Surprise (not), a lot of states will take this matter to court.
    I expect this not to be a thing in California. Sorry Red states.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    no you had a choice you just choose not to. this mentality is exactly why the u.s. can never have serious third party candidates.
    well machismo is here with his usually libertarian/anarchist capitalistic bullshit. i'm done.
    I'm not sure what exactly I did to piss you off at some point in time, but I'm sorry you feel the need to hate on everything I say or ask.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I expect this not to be a thing in California. Sorry Red states.
    Which will lead to yet another divide between red and blue states wherein blue states will have freer and more open internet access while the red states will see the internet become a luxury for the elite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    What did I say in this thread to piss you off? Please, feel free to find the sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor Americans. It never gets old seeing them shoot themselves in the foot. But hey, you got what you voted for.

Also, repealing NN (or rather, its consequences) violates the 1st Amendment in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Which will lead to yet another divide between red and blue states wherein blue states will have freer and more open internet access while the red states will see the internet become a luxury for the elite.
    They get what they vote for. If you didnt sadly, move state.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Just remember when you vote in 2018 and 2020 which party leadership fucked over NN.
    I will look at the candidates and see who has my best interests in mind, this time around it was the Republicans. Im a business owner, they have done things to help me out over the years. Plus the old Health insurance stuff Pre Obama was great, then Obama care hit and I had to go without Health insurance for the last 4 years. Now I decent health insurance again.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    "I was and continue to remain entirely ignorant of current affairs, especially of the actions of various ISPs in the lead up to the 2015 regulation that necessitated it in the first place."

Alternatively:

"It's not bad because things aren't happening immediately because I don't care about the future."
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in two years, you people will be on here in full panic about something else at even faster internet speeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    They get what they vote for. If you didnt sadly, move state.
    The issue is that in a lot of those states there are urban enclaves full of people who do vote for the right thing and end up just being victims of shitty rural overlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I will look at the candidates and see who has my best interests in mind, this time around it was the Republicans. Im a business owner, they have done things to help me out over the years. Plus the old Health insurance stuff Pre Obama was great, then Obama care hit and I had to go without Health insurance for the last 4 years. Now I decent health insurance again.
    Then you got exactly what you asked for, so no need to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I'd like to see some hard numbers on how many people this becomes a pivotal issue for. I doubt it makes the top five among likely voters come the next election cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then you got exactly what you asked for, so no need to complain.
    I mean I have shit internet anyway so I doubt Ill even notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    I'd like to see some hard numbers on how many people this becomes a pivotal issue for. I doubt it makes the top five among likely voters come the next election cycle.
    It's still one that can be added to the list of things the GOP screwed up, at least in the eyes of most voters. The GOP is proving to be rather incompetent and corrupt lately.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...trality-repeal

New york Attorney General is one of many suing the FCC

Couple things already gone/removed from comcast website about net neutrality

We promise too
    -Not throttle back the speed at which content comes to you
    -Not prioritize Internet traffic or create paid fast lanes
    -Make internet accessible to low income families