Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kingarthas View Post
    Will classic servers have new race models from WoD and legion animations etc.
    Bro its too early to ask, we are like one year and a half away from launch

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Actually what they said was that the hurdle was to get the old server code to work on modern infrastructure. They haven't said anything specifically about the client other than what we can read between the lines.
    True that, you are right. But they didn’t say they will build vanilla on the new client too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    It should be Vanilla WoW or nothing.
    Then nothing. Vanilla wow died a long time ago. The moments are gone. All people are wanting now is reruns.

I can see the HD textures, physics and models being all toggles.

It's kind of just like private servers, you can download an MPQ that has the updated models - it comes with the new animations too. Don't want it? Don't use it, you'll have the old models + the old animations c:

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Yup, you can check the Blizzard careers page. The job description for the vanilla developers is mostly client work, things that wouldn't be needed if they were using the old client.
    Modifying the client doesn't necessarily means it's the Legion one. Both would need to be heavily altered to make Classic compatible with today's architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendix187- View Post
    Built from retail.... you honestly believe that shit?
    Why would they?
    Believe it or not, it is actually cheaper and easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kingarthas View Post
    Will classic servers have new race models from WoD and legion animations etc.
    It wouldn't make sense, no, not for a museum. Now, if it was meant to be a standalone functioning franchise like live, it would.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Its really up to blizzard, there are mods from the nostalrius community with the models, so they could potentially allow those.

Or they can do the new models themselves.

Or neither.

Doesn't matter to me

10+ Year Old Account
    I much prefer classic models and animations so I hope not.

Built from retail.... you honestly believe that shit?
    Why would they?
    if i remember correctly they said it at last blizzcon (2016) that they dont have the vanila code anymore, as they updated the old code as the expansions and patches got released (either it was a lie for not releasing vanilla servers or was truth)

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully not. Let the vanilla fans play their beloved game in peace. To me more options is better, but ill probably never touch the classic realms with a 10 foot poll (unless there are rewards for the real version of WoW).

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    if i remember correctly they said it at last blizzcon (2016) that they dont have the vanila code anymore, as they updated the old code as the expansions and patches got released (either it was a lie for not releasing vanilla servers or was truth)
    This was probably BS but point is, using 10+years old client with modern architecture is just no-go. They could try to rework client but it would just lead into cascade of bugs and it would take years, lot of pain, tears and blood. Instead, it is much more logical to do, what they are doing with every single expansion or patch - just create "new" world and zones. They have assets already done, skill balanced, quests designed - just put it into damn game.
    Last edited by ManiaCCC; 2017-12-14 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    This was probably BS but point is, using 10+years old client with modern architecture is just no-go. They could try to rework client but it would just lead into cascade of bugs and it would take years, lot of pain, tears and blood. Instead, it is much more logical to do, what they are doing with every single expansion or patch - just create "new" world and zones. They have assets already done, skill balanced, quests designed - just put it into damn game.
    ye i know that trying to make 10 year old code work on new hardware is a no go, just wanted to point out what they said a few years back

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Modifying the client doesn't necessarily means it's the Legion one. Both would need to be heavily altered to make Classic compatible with today's architecture.
    The fact that a big part of the job description is UI elements says otherwise. None or very little such work would be needed if they used the original client since all that work have already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    The fact that a big part of the job description is UI elements says otherwise. None or very little such work would be needed if they used the original client since all that work have already been done.
    That's a good point.
    Both options could make sense, in any case. So I wouldn't be surprised either way. I guess from a commercial PoV, it's better to be able to switch from one game to another with a button rather than launching a whole different game.

- - - Updated - - -

Most probably it was a slightly different explanation which was misinterpreted.
    Technical terms translated into common parlance tend to heavily lose or distort their meaning.

One thing that is certain : they DO have the code and always had. It's called "versioning" and it's one of the basics of software engineering. It's just unthinkable for something as big as Blizzard to not use it (not "unthinkable" as in "it would be gross incompetence", but rather as in "it's next to literally impossible to not use it").

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'd hope there is at least an OPTION to have the new models. Purists would rage about it though.

Deleted
    That sounds unbelievable since private servers have them.
    If true and I doubt it the, they will probably even buy it of lol

Most remastered games remastered the gfx.

That sounds unbelievable since private servers have them.
    If true and I doubt it the, they will probably even buy it of lol
    Private servers don't have Blizzard's code. Even if some do a very, very good job at it, they are still just emulating how the game was thought to work, which is why there is so many bugs and difference and why people would prefer to have an actual authentic Blizzard server.

I mean if they want to sell millions and not thousands, they damn well better upgrade the graphics including models.