Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Tfw born too early for space travel so none of this matters

"Our solar system now is tied for most number of planets around a single star, with the recent discovery of an eighth planet circling Kepler-90, a Sun-like star 2,545 light-years from Earth. The planet was discovered in data from NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope.

The newly-discovered Kepler-90i – a sizzling hot, rocky planet that orbits its star once every 14.4 days – was found using machine learning from Google. Machine learning is an approach to artificial intelligence in which computers “learn.” In this case, computers learned to identify planets by finding in Kepler data instances where the telescope recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. "

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/a...g-distant-star

What a let down

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    as long as those AI CPUs dont became the next skynet im all fine

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    True. But I never had a doubt that there would be star systems with the same amount of planets, or even more than we have somewhere out there. Neat that is a confirmed, but imo it isn't breaking news.
    Well, thats like saying "I never had a doubt there was alien life somewhere else in the universe. Neat that its confirmed, but imo it isnt breaking news".

We went from being the lone example of an "anomaly" to having evidence of other systems much closer to ours than previously discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I highly doubt they will announce the discovery of new life. And if they did find more inhabitable planets, that is pretty cool, but not that big of news any more as this is pretty frequent these days.

On top of that, even if they found more planets which can host life for us, we still have absolutely no way to reach them. Once we are able to make it to the next star system, then I can get excited about new planetary discoveries. Till then, it is cool, but not that exciting just yet.
    I think that if we did discover new life then who ever the President would grab that spotlight and make the announcement. It would be to big a political grab to just let some director at NASA do it.

NASA just found a solar system somewhat similar to ours but its over 2000 light years away so its not like we can visit it any time soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The giant cigar asteroid carried a message from the future not to elect The Donald or the planet will be obliterated in a nuclear war pissing contest. Sadly the cigar did not arrive in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    NASA just found a solar system somewhat similar to ours but its over 2000 light years away so its not like we can visit it any time soon.
    thats not that far it will only take around 36,874,842 years to get there
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    More information about all the cool places that have existed out there at some point, and where not a single human will ever get to. Yay.