Page 43 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    WRONG.

This is not how it works - the problem in the US is that the ISP could be throttling your connection to say netflix so you'd have to pay more to get full speed.

The actual connection to Netflix isn't really affected it's the routing that could make it artificially slower.
    That depends on the internet exchange points these companies have access to and if these companies can circumvent the pond-scum that is AT&T, Comcast and others to get connected. Normal businesses usually still go through them, though I could see the likes of Amazon and Google bypassing them. It certainly won't be easier for new services, since they probably won't be able to throw massive summs of money around to get their own fiber access to the IXs.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-12-14 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    I keep hearing about this “crappy” service we Americans have. I live in Arizona and Cox has been great and offers a service for a reasonable price in my opinion. I have gig service for under $75 and I can’t remeber the last time in 10 years that I have had bad service or an interruption.
    Also located in AZ, and have been for the last 7 years. Also a Cox subscriber for each of those years. No problems with them that have ever enticed me to switch.

Go on downdetector and watch people lose their minds when their area is being maintained or upgraded and there's a small inconvenience during late night time hours.

It's telling when "entertainment" consumption has become the same or worse than actual consumerism, and the myriad of reactions and emotions that erupt from it. I think people should be a bit more introspective and see that they definitely have a problem when they place this much importance on specifically this form of entertainment - to the point where they've been entirely co-opted sheeple with just the use of basic social engineering from the same few websites they frequent, all regurgitating the same basic information but incapable of being able to defend it because their knowledge on any area of the topic is paper thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    Opening my new ISP lootbox to see what exciting services I can unlock:

Really, Bing and Myspace again!?
    Maybe we see something like fastpath in the early 2000s when you payed 99 Cent for a better ping.

I also can think of something like Playstation + from the big publisher like EA+, Ubisoft Online or Aktivision Free for 1-5$ per month for a better ping and 6 year old game for free each month ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    WRONG.

This is not how it works - the problem in the US is that the ISP could be throttling your connection to say netflix so you'd have to pay more to get full speed.

The actual connection to Netflix isn't really affected it's the routing that could make it artificially slower.
    They'll probably start by throttling Netflix connection and access and then force Netflix to push the increase charge they pay onto the consumer. This way the ISP doesn't take all the heat for the exchange.

Honestly, I doubt they move too quickly as the 2018 election and 2020 cycle will play big into this actually surviving longer than a few months. Congress if the turnover happens, which at the rate the GoP is making itself look stupid, should happen. They will pass something either blocking or creating new rules that bar certain things. I don't see this being a forever thing, and honestly would have stayed dead had Trump not gotten elected, any other republican would have left this damn well alone. But Trump's FCC pick was destined to do this to line his grubby pockets.

Again, Libertarian bullshit will fail like it always does, because the basis for thought by libertarian's is one of the most idealistic versions of reality ever. Business is not altruistic and most humans aren't either. Libertarians are up there with progressives who think world peace is a possibility in our lifetimes. Keep that dream alive, its nice, but is nothing more than fantasy.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2017-12-14 at 10:51 PM.

Ajit made this video to explain things. He leaves out the part where IT WILL COST YOU MORE!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Opening my new ISP lootbox to see what exciting services I can unlock:

Really, Bing and Myspace again!?
    Yknow. You think they would have this new internet ready to roll since this has been something they've been working on.

I mean, why haven't the greedy people rolled out the packages since they don't care about the backdraft from this? What's more hatred for the pile?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    snip[/video]

Ajit made this video to explain things. He leaves out the part where IT WILL COST YOU MORE!
    so thats what selling your soul looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    Ajit Pai claimed there was "bipartisan" support for his plan.
    Unfortunately for him, Congress has announced that for the first time in forever, The Democrats and Republicans have agreed on something. Something they intend to fight against: Ajit Pai.

Numerous Congressmen on both the Democratic and Republican side have said if he does inact the repeal, that Congress will step in and take his power away from him, and reverse his decision.

In addition, numerous groups are preparing lawsuits against the FCC, which will force them to defend themselves in the Supreme Court and if they cannot prove that the regulations have harmed the internet (which we all know is false), the Surpreme Court may simply over-turn the decision.

In spite of the provisions in the new policy, many states have said they will take this battle to court and over-turn the FCC's authority and put in place state laws that will require internet providers to adhere to neutrality standards, Washington state being one of them.

Colorado and a few other states have said that perhaps it's time for the states themselves to run the big internet companies out of town and provide their own internet access to their citizens, with state-run internet which will be affordable, reliable and will adhere to net neutrality laws.

But at this point, all we can assume from this is:
    This battle is far from over and it has no shortage of people from state leaders, to Congressmen, all setting their sights squarely on the second most hated man in America, Ajit Pai.

He's basically put a giant bullseye on his head.

We'll see who gets the shot off.

Lastly, speaking of getting shots off ..

They interrupted and cleared the room mid-meeting?
    Were there threats on his life, causing security to halt the meeting and search the room extensively?

I'm frankly surprised he hasn't been met with more threats and actual violence yet.
    The internet has responded to far more meaningless threats, with far more meaningful violence.
    It's surprising to me that the single greatest threat we face, well, hasn't been met with extreme violence.

This decision today will be challenged again and again and cannot take effect for many months.
    We'll see what happens.

While this should not be done with violence, I do think something has to be done. What? I don't know. But we have a government that has gone completely rogue. Not just the FCC but the White House, and are dictating our lives to us, and are only interested in one thing: selling our souls for money.

We have a government that serves itself, not the people it was put in place for.
    What we are going to do about it? We, the people, may have to do something.
    Because if the people who are supposed to fight for us, can't or don't, then we need to decide how to do it ourselves.

"Those who make peaceful resolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ J.F.K.
    I don't normally rely on Anonymous, but I'm starting to think that Anonymous may be our best bet if Congress is under the ISP's bankroll as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Time for some good old street lynching of Pai.
    If a tree is poisoned you can't cut off one small branch and expect it to survive.

You have to take out the whole thing and plant a new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    now if only they'd expand rural broadband and drop the idea that satellite internet is real internet.

where I live I have one option, outside of dialup or satellite. They ream me for 70/month for pretty much 3mbit service. But its low latency and allows me to play WoW so I guess I can't complain too much.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    If the general public can just be ignored then it would be a nice twist of fate all the other sharks gang up on the biggest shark.
    When the biggest shark owns 70% of the sea, he doesn't give a !#@$ about the other sharks, except for the territory they occupy.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Look you'll never see me cheering for the success of activision or EA. I just like the idea of a different greedy corporation blocking this because it impedes their business practices. If the general public can just be ignored then it would be a nice twist of fate all the other sharks gang up on the biggest shark.
    Mate, entirety of Silicon Valley couldn't do shit about it, it's hilarious to think that much poorer gaming industry will be able to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

I think the thing I dislike the most about Pai is how he always tries to act like some fun-loving nerd, yet also treats actual nerds as if they are idiots that don't realize what he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    I will ask again, and don't worry I am not expecting an answer but please tell my why Hilary was worse then Trump. Use facts please if you decided to answer.

- - - Updated - - -

R for D against. 3 to 2, unless I heard wrong.
    Ill give the plain and simple answer, she is not a Man. IDK if I sound sexist or whatever, but a woman is not fit to lead our country, especially one like her that was being investigated by the FBI at the time of the election.

10+ Year Old Account
    GOOGLE couldn't stop the vote from happening. Think about that one for a second
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    If crappy internet policy really is enough to make someone think the US is below Mexico as a place to live I'd say they're being pretty hysterical.
    I mean, I'd sooner live in Puerto Vallarta than most places in the US. Mexico has lots of nice places to live, if you have money - true of the US as well of course - just saying Mexico isn't all the slums of Juarez.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Well, according to Americans in my gym, now you'll have truly free internet. Government shouldn't impede businesses' ability to earn money, it's quite anti-American.

What I personally find interesting is that people are more concerned about internet than healthcare
    According to what you said about the Americans in your gym, they are either uneducated on the issue, or they have their own biased agenda for saying that. This is copied from a reddit post, but accurate AF nonetheless.

There's nothing hypothetical about what ISPs will do when net neutrality is eliminated. I'm going to steal a comment previously posted by /u/Skrattybones and repost here:

2005 - Madison River Communications was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it.

2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers.

2007-2009 - AT&T was having Skype and other VOIPs blocked because they didn't like there was competition for their cellphones.

2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube. (edit: they actually sued the FCC over this)

2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their bullshit. edit: this one happened literally months after the trio were busted collaborating with Google to block apps from the android marketplace

2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction. (edit: they were fined $1.25million over this)

2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money.

2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place.
    Now that Net Neutrality is gone, it won't take them long to pull this kind of shit all over again. Does any of that sound like "truly free internet" to you? Sure, companies should be allowed to make a profit... but I PROMISE you, none of our carriers here in America were suffering in any way shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Ill give the plain and simple answer, she is not a Man. IDK if I sound sexist or whatever, but a woman is not fit to lead our country, especially one like her that was being investigated by the FBI at the time of the election.
    Um, yeah you do. So, so much.

There is no logic to support that concept. I recommend maturing.

What people don't get about net neutrality is that there is a massive difference between the abstract principle and how the legislation actually works: It works in favour of maintaining monopolies and against consumer interests. Damn good job the Federal Communications Commission voted as it did.

GOOGLE couldn't stop the vote from happening. Think about that one for a second
    Telecom companies have far more money and influence, you have to remember Google fiber is not going anywhere thanks to their political power. The people who think there will be some magical mom and pop ISPs are deluded.