Poll: Do you keep up to date with modern mainstream music?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I try to keep up on Post Rock and certain Metal bands, but that's it. I hardly recognize anyone on the radio.

10+ Year Old Account

New, but like the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    Yeah there's a lot that doesn't really even sound like an 80s themed song but rather just a generic techno song. I'll listen to this one later though as the computer I'm using now doesn't have sound. Gunship is the only group I found so far that really sound like they're from the 80s. If you haven't heard them I definitely recommend giving them a listen if you enjoy synthwave.

Here's one of my favorites from them:

Yep that was really good.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Not since 2000, these days mainstream is shit.
    Pretty much this.

There are some exceptions every once in a while, but generally speaking, the majority of what you hear on the radio nowadays is about as noteworthy as generic elevator music.

10+ Year Old Account
    i haven't listened to 'modern music' in years because it's all just recycled garbage that is pushed in media as 'the next big thing' when in reality you have heard the same thing a dozen times before with a few minor tweaks here and there, to top it off i don't buy into the whole 'gotta keep up with current shit' trend never did really, if i like something enough then i'll probably buy it on CD/download otherwise i couldn't care less about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes
    If you listen to anything which isn't popular right now it's over for you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    Pretty much this.

There are some exceptions every once in a while, but generally speaking, the majority of what you hear on the radio nowadays is about as noteworthy as generic elevator music.
    Which is the opinion literally everyone has shared once they get old.

Just wait for it, 2035 will come around and it'll be "Kids these days don't know good music! Back in my day we had Katy Perry, and Justin Beiber! That was the real stuff!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Every couple of months I give it a try, check out what's new on the radio, etc. It's invariably garbage...just as my parents thought my music was. I can't understand why the younger generation find this to be enjoyable...just like my parents couldn't.

Music is generational. Every generation thinks their teenage years produced the best music, unless you're one of these really gifted children who thinks a previous generation's music was better, but the point is that pop is always considered crap until it becomes nostalgic. Then you geek out to it when it's played at a wedding.

Deleted
    No I completely fall out of it I guess. I listen to dark ambient and goa (mostly free music) most times. Sometimes Classic but that's not something to keep up2date I guess.

Here's number 1 on the charts, it's pretty good.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Here's number 1 on the charts, it's pretty good.
    He looks like a fraggle and is singing old timer songs.
    That's not what pop is about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 12 year old daughter so yes I do

Deleted
    Not really, I tend to listen to the same music a lot because I enjoy it and occasionally when I finally get bored of that music I'll start branching out and exploring a bit in hopes of finding something new. I have a Spotify subscription that I barely use... so it's my own fault, haha... often I find new stuff just through YouTube anyway.

I also have no real genre I go for... I've had Britney Spears and Dimmu Borgir in the same playlist and thought nothing of it... I just like whatever I think sounds good and that can be in literally any genre. So I'm not like "oh I hate all rap music" or "oh I love all metal" etc. I can love a song from literally any genre. If it has a good sound and melody and it clicks with me I will like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    I'd say about 90% of the mainstream music these days sucks ass. They all sound the same, all have the same sounding beats and sounds, all the men sound feminine as fuck singing like little wimpy boys, and there's just no creativity or originality. They're like all the same song but rearranged to sound a bit differently. The lyrics are so lackluster too it'll be like a few lines and then the rest of the song is just repeating those few lines over and over.

Not to sound like an edgy hipster but a lot of the music I like to listen to, not many people have heard of. Metal and rock, which is what I listen to the most have become underground genres now (and when I say rock I mean REAL rock music with actual instruments like Foo Fighters, ACDC, or Queen and not pop music labeled as rock). Another obscure genre I like to listen to is called synthwave which is like that 80s synthesizer music you'd hear in those 80s sci-fi movies like Bladerunner. Gunship is the group I listen to for that genre, really awesome stuff they make. I listen to a lot of different genres and artists but hardly any of them are mainstream.
    I'm not saying your complaints aren't valid but then you go and name bands that do all that shit. Lackluster lyrics, feminine voices, all sound the same. That's ACDC Queen and foo fighters down to a tee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Not since 2000, these days mainstream is shit.
    I totally agree with this guy. Modern music gets worse every year, it seems.

There are a few snowflakes that are not written by those two guys that write every other song. And if you strip away Autotunes none of those "Singers" would actually survive. Per year there are maybe 4-5 Newcomers that can actually sing. Because of that and because every other song sounds the same I prefer older or instrumental music.

So the answer is: Hell no!

Dunno if it got posted here already, but it is even scientifically prooven that Music quality declines:

Havent kept up to date with mainstream music since the 90s!!

not really. it's not even that I don't like the current music, I just can't stand to listen to radio when there's more adverts and djs talking than songs and I have the option to just listen to a playlist of music I know I like and which contains no interruptions that will make me lose faith in humanity

Deleted
    Finnish millennials and whatever the younger generation is called seem to listen to nothing but Finnish "hiphop", so no, I absolutely don't "keep up to date" with that utter shit.

Metal is truly dead.

Deleted
    Great question!
    Few days ago I found out Gorillaz is making music again.
    Really loving their new stuff.
    Can't help but getting inspired by all the crazy stuff they do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Finnish millennials and whatever the younger generation is called seem to listen to nothing but Finnish "hiphop", so no, I absolutely don't "keep up to date" with that utter shit.

Metal is truly dead.
    ????

Look harder